Yesmail

Updated 4 January, 2015
Updated 4 January, 2015
2.4

Mike Hilts

Relaxed Culture, Long Hours, Little Advancement, Great Pay.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakville, ON
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakville, ON

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

Compensation at Yesmail is great. Great bonus program. Vacation time is great. (Minimum 3 weeks)

Great corporate culture, fun teams to work with.

Cons

Employees are expected to work very long hours. Don't be suprised if you are working until 9-10pm and on weekends.

Senior management seems to be pretty distant from Satelite offices, rare visits from managers.

Being a subsidary of a larger company (InfoGroup) often means getting things done is slow, equipment requests, expense pay outs etc.

Be closer with your satelite offices. Take notice, Yesmail exists outside of the walls of the Portland office.

Yesmail is great, but Infogroup is taking over

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Yesmail

Pros

Great people, great industry, good company to start with when getting into email marketing

Cons

Lack of training structure, things take too long- from service tickets to employee reviews, high turn over, low salaries (compared to industry standard), lack of team activities which results in low employee morale

Take care of your employees

Revolving door

I have been working at Yesmail

Pros

Good people from all over.

Cons

Good people leave in 1-2 years.

Do more to keep good people. Compensation? Bonus? Advancement? Culture? Benefits?

Miserable

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

I made some really good friends here; dress code is casual; effort is being made to establish an office culture; vacation policy is generous; and work/life balance is reasonable (on my team)

Cons

You will not find professionalism here (in my experience). Hard work is not recognized and there is a laughable amount of favoritism. Junior employees are promoted to managers who are not prepared for the promotion/do not have the most basic of social skills. Managers do not hold all of their direct reports to the same standards and there is no one to keep them accountable. This makes for a hostile work environment where team members are pitted against one another, totally unnecessarily. Bottom line is - do not accept a position here if you don’t want to spend most of your time playing political games that you cannot win. There are no bonuses (despite vague promises) and you are lucky if you get a raise (and don’t even get me started on the insanely priced health insurance). Some managers do not even give performance reviews. If you must accept a position here, make sure to keep your head down and kiss butt. That will get you much farther than doing your job. Absolutely avoid if you can, though…

Attempt to understand and address the issues that are responsible for the high turn-over rate. Many employees are not happy and would leave if it were convenient.

People come last

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Yesmail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product. Good people. Nice office although that will be changing soon.

Cons

Management don't keep people informed and keep pulling the rug out from beneath them. Remote reporting structure doesn't work and there is no real leadership. Low moral. People are worked very hard and team kept at a minimum to maximize bottom line with a view to selling the company at some point.

Only if you need a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yesmail full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home policy

Cons

No job secure, lots of laying off here. Almost every month you see people leave, whether resigned or lay offs. Not much career growth, little to NO raise, don't even talk about bonuses. Also, long hours depending on which department you work for.

Know how to keep your good employees. They worth more than your clients.

Great people but not a satisfying work culture

Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and I made a lot of friends here. Learned a lot in my time there in certain areas of the business.

Cons

Work/life balance was horrible and managers/executives were nice people but have little ability or concern for changing things for the better. They're more concerned about profit then keeping employees happy. Resources are eliminated on teams and most of the time not replaced, which in-turn, adds more work and stress for those left behind to absorb the work.
    Process and technology is outdated causing a more stressful and inefficient work culture.
    Yesmail has potential but ineffective management and lack of change leads to a "turn and burn" culture. After being there for 3+ years, the same issues were constantly coming up and never fixed. Not a good company to work for - frustrating and will put your career on a stagnate course. Also, Yesmail pays lower then other companies in the industry.

Listen to your team and try to be more constructive with managing clients and working to fix internal issues.

If you're desperate enough....

Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They will pay you what you ask for. The employees are nice hard-working people.

Cons

You will hate everyday that you work there. They work their employees to death. You are expected to stay & work until the job is done which may require the help of multiple people.

Think twice before you accept a position with this company.

Stop forcing employees to work on so many different accounts. That's why you have a high turnover rate. You overwork folks& then they are out the door.

Web Production Developer

Former Employee - Web Production Developer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Web Production Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yesmail have a friendly and nice people to work with!

Cons

There is not much of career growth in there!
    There is no stability and no job security

Sacrifice your all for email marketing

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It provided income to pay for all of the things I no longer had time to do because my entire life needed to revolve around pleasing our spoiled children of clients 24/7.

Cons

Expected to work 24/7. Expected to sacrifice anything and everything for the clients. Management wouldn't hire more help until well after it was too late. Client teams allowed clients to completely run the show and ruin everyone's lives constantly. Upper management didn't care and would routinely volunteer us for weekend coverage out of the blue, forcing us to cancel any plans we may have already had. No raises. Absolutely ridiculous hours (10+ is the average, lots of people are putting in 15+ because they can't get any help).

Don't just say you value employees, SHOW IT. There is no team building. It's a toxic culture. People are pitted against one another for some unknown reason making working with your own team a hostile affair most of the time. It's exhausting/draining to be in that position and nothing is worse than waking up and immediately hating the day due to the fact you know that every day you work there is going to be a little worse than the day before.