Yesmail Reviews

Updated 7 August, 2014
Updated 7 August, 2014

2.7

Mike Hilts

Relaxed Culture, Long Hours, Little Advancement, Great Pay.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Oakville, ON
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakville, ON

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

Compensation at Yesmail is great. Great bonus program. Vacation time is great. (Minimum 3 weeks)

Great corporate culture, fun teams to work with.

Cons

Employees are expected to work very long hours. Don't be suprised if you are working until 9-10pm and on weekends.

Senior management seems to be pretty distant from Satelite offices, rare visits from managers.

Being a subsidary of a larger company (InfoGroup) often means getting things done is slow, equipment requests, expense pay outs etc.

Be closer with your satelite offices. Take notice, Yesmail exists outside of the walls of the Portland office.

Web Production Developer

Former Employee - Web Production Developer  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Web Production Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yesmail have a friendly and nice people to work with!

Cons

There is not much of career growth in there!
    There is no stability and no job security

Sacrifice your all for email marketing

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Pros

It provided income to pay for all of the things I no longer had time to do because my entire life needed to revolve around pleasing our spoiled children of clients 24/7.

Cons

Expected to work 24/7. Expected to sacrifice anything and everything for the clients. Management wouldn't hire more help until well after it was too late. Client teams allowed clients to completely run the show and ruin everyone's lives constantly. Upper management didn't care and would routinely volunteer us for weekend coverage out of the blue, forcing us to cancel any plans we may have already had. No raises. Absolutely ridiculous hours (10+ is the average, lots of people are putting in 15+ because they can't get any help).

Don't just say you value employees, SHOW IT. There is no team building. It's a toxic culture. People are pitted against one another for some unknown reason making working with your own team a hostile affair most of the time. It's exhausting/draining to be in that position and nothing is worse than waking up and immediately hating the day due to the fact you know that every day you work there is going to be a little worse than the day before.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

awesome leadership, growing company, endless opportunities

Cons

there is nothing negative to say about this company

keep up the great work

Good people, terrible management - it's not worth it

Former Employee - Email Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people willing to work hard

Cons

- Bait and switch - interviewed for one job, offered lower level job and was told I'd grow into the one I interviewed for and it never happened. I found out later that they have a reputation for doing this.
    - Accounts are understaffed - not even to skeleton levels - and nobody from account directors on up don't care.
    - Email Managers are expected to work until the job is done - even if that means 14-18 hours a day with no support from management and trying to find someone from web production who is willing to work late. The company only knows about work/life balance for senior managers and no one else.
    - Management expects work to be shared with overseas teams where English isn't the first language and this causes more problems than it solves. When change finally comes, it is usually the exact opposite of what was asked for.
    - Teams are often spread out, including managers, which makes completing work challenging due to different time zones.
    - Employees are only trained to do their job and trying to gain other account-related knowledge is exceedingly difficult.
    - Direct managers are apathetic at best and do nothing to support staff when issues are brought to their attention. Chain of command is unclear. Account managers have some responsibility, account directors have others and email managers are managed by someone else entirely. It's confusing to know who to go to with problems because managers don't necessarily know the account being worked on.
    - Senior management has no experience in the positions, people and processes that they're managing.
    - Salary increases don't happen unless you threaten to quit and annual reviews are a joke.
    - Expect to pay a lot for terrible benefits - I'd say skip it and shop the healthcare marketplace - you'll most likely find something better and less expensive.

- Stop hiring people from outside of the company - promote from within! These are the people that understand how the work gets done and would streamline process much better and make Yesmail a better place to work.
    - Invest in your employees and treat them better by offering better benefits at the very least.
    - Stop pulling the bait and switch with job offers - your company is known for this in many circles.
    - Stop forcing terrible programs to be used that don't connect to other aspects of the company. Too many different types of technology are being used to piece together the whole picture when there's better software out there that could replace several old pieces.
    - Provide proper staffing levels for accounts and stop expecting people to work themselves to death. Provide them better salaries and performance-based raises. You have good people working there that strongly dislike their work environment.
    - Create a work culture - there is no culture there - people just come in, work and go home. Any happy hours that happened were created individually. Not even a holiday party while I was there, but other offices had them.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the most part it's very flexible and decent work/life balance. And with a few exceptions, most of the people I work with are good people - not all, but most. The absolute only reason I stay is the flexibility.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Horrible benefits. No yearly reviews - which means no raises. Some people seem checked out and just going through the motions.

Get on board with normal corporate standards. I have never worked for a company who's CEO states in Town Hall meetings (on more than one occasion) that "We don't do reviews". If you think it's time for a raise, you have to beg your manager. That is ridiculous. If you want to keep people and reduce turnover - give us incentive to want to stay. Regular reviews. Standard pay increases. Decent 401k. This is a job, not a career.

Good people, Poor Management

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

Many great co-workers. Possible opportunities if you get lucky.

Cons

New Executive Team seems to be focused on saving money by replacing innovative teams with low cost skeleton teams. Any tech culture has now been replaced by old school time sheet mentality.

Communicate your plan to stay vital in the industry with your staff.

Good people - management needs to take care of the workers

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Pros

good people, and technology - email industry is consolidating, you must have expertise in several areas. Data and big data technology could help their position.

Cons

willingness to change, look at new technology and marketing methods. Leverage the good resources you have (the people). Yesmail has had several re-org's in the past but i'm not sure if just changing management is the answer.

A hectic, unorganized approach to doing business with no real mindset for long term thinking.

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really good people to work with that really want to see the company succeed and are willing to put in the time to see it happen.

Cons

Senior management appears to not have a clue and make decisions that negatively affect day to day work life.

Get your heads out of your rear ends and listen to your line level managers and employees.

It's a paycheck.

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location (for Portland employees).
    Coworkers are generally good to work.
    Ability to work with a handful of notable clients.
    Casual-dress work environment.
    If you stay 3 years, you'll be senior and have a remote chance of promotion.

Cons

Executive leadership lacks clear direction.
    Annual Reviews only upon request and not guaranteed.
    No bonuses for the past 4 years.
    Good employees are continually leaving.
    Low pay - don't go in expecting to advance or get a compensation increase later.

Care about your employees or at least make them feel like they're given anything but a paycheck. Provide incentives and a reason to feel good about working here. Actions speak louder than words. REALISTICALLY decide what you want to be as a company and position yourself accordingly.

Worked for Yesmail? Contribute to the Community!