Yelp

Yelp Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees (in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

In control of your destiny

Account Executive (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsIts no secret that the sales role at Yelp can be extremely stressful and challenging, but the company gives employees the resources and tools to succeed and a fun environment to be in. Because of the rapid growth, you have the opportunity to work your way in to a larger role quickly (less than 2 years for some people) whether its sales management, national sales, account management, recruiting, etc. Management is generally very supportive.

ConsThe pay is low for most. The top 10% make great money, but there is a huge drop off in income outside of that. Some issues with transparency. Reps are trained to regurgitate not think. Not much opportunity to be creative with how you approach the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to some of your tenured employees and ask for honest feedback on a variety of topics

great experience, growing company

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYelp treats their employees very well. Overall, there are a lot of opportunities and the company is growing as such as quick pace.

ConsThe ramp up period can be tough. The first 3 months are going to be a bit tough for your average sales person.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is fine the way it is right now.

Great beginner company for corporate minded individuals

Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThey have amazing perks(free food, happy hour on friday, offsite team outings, give-a-ways, commission checks), The people who run the company really care about their employees happiness and success. They always work with you in trying to get you to that next level, and you're always very aware of where you stand.

ConsBeing an advertising salesman/woman. The day to day grind of cold calling prospective clients is taxing on anyone who has a conscience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very clear it's a cold-calling job. Give people relocating across the country more money to do so. Get the training process down a little bit better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsUncapped income, competitive base salary, great culture! Growth is crazy fast and there are always opportunities for movement within the company!

ConsThe demographic is mostly young.. if you are over 25 you will feel old.

Great Experience and Growth

Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsBuild an understanding of business and advertising in a fast paced environment with excellent training for growth.

ConsLearn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok.

Amazing place to work if you excel in sales

Elite Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- You can make a lot of money if you put in some time and excel at the job
    - Yelp pays for food and offsite parties
    - selling ads to business owners is REALLY easy
    - As much time off as you want if you are a high producer
    - flexible hours
    - Most managers and directors are awesome

Cons- if you are not great at sales you wont make much money
    - company culture has gone way down since I started. The company is focusing on hiring aggressively and less on keeping current employees happy
    - Hiring very young managers. Most right out of college and only a year on the job
    - account managers are very poorly trained and overloaded with accounts you will close. This results in a lot of chargebacks with unhappy clients and money out of your pocket

Advice to Senior Management- Increase the standards for management hiring. There are high performing reps like myself with several years of leadership experience and the desire to manage a sales team that are being passed op by college kids. Hire leaders that will hold their reps accountable and be a boss not cheerleaders that want to be friends with their reps
    - Give account managers smaller books of business. They need to be trained on how to keep frustrated business owners happy, not just be there to cancel their program when the ads dont work

Great place to work

ProsCulture, Benefits, environment. You can't ask for more.

ConsIt is still a very difficult job, but that's not necessarily a con.

Fantastic people, fantastic company

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere are a ton of young, high energy people in one place, working towards one thing, making sales. The free food is cool. The co-workers and bosses are the best. Bosses will work with you to get you to the level you want to be at. Co-workers will become great friends, the culture is fun and upbeat, and there is a great training program in place. There is plenty of room to move up.

ConsThere is a very conservative policy regarding the conference rooms

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. The people running the show are the best

Sexy Brand, Not So Sexy Compensation

Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIt's a really well known brand (now), fun company culture, great co-workers.

ConsTerritory distribution is REALLY bad, and a rookie might end up with a better territory than a seasoned vet. They will lie about the territory they give you to try to convince you it is better than it really is. Salary is REALLY low. I went to another company and make $120/year with benefits. At Yelp the most I made was $70K, and I was in the top 1% of reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting children to management.

Account Manager

ProsCool work environment, awesome people, okay salary, good benefits, good training procedure

ConsI had no idea I would be in a call center. I was over-qualified for this position and was wooed by the coolness of the company. I have to do collections-type calls and talk to some extremely angry people. There is no time to make personal relationships with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know what to tell them. You can't stop people from yelling at AM's over the phone.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!