Yahoo

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.4 1,692 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights
1,692 Employee Reviews

Great place to work!

ProsSmart people, exciting projects, good work-life balance

ConsLarge company, lots of hoops to jump through sometimes.

Great place to work

Ad Operations (Former Employee) Sydney, NS

ProsThe people are great and there's lots of freedom to work on what interests you. I particularly enjoyed Hack days

Conspay could be better but the benefits make it worth it

Worked as Software developer at Yahoo!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and compensation. Work was reasonable as a new hire freshly out of university. They have a good mentoring program and good tech talks to gain knowledge of other teams' work.

ConsSometimes the teams lack direction. Work gets boring or monotonous after a while (depending on the team). It does not seem easy to switch teams.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter management of teams and work to be done

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment where you get to work on pretty cool stuff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, easy to work with and exchange ideas
    Great office environment

ConsLike a lot of big global companies you need to have meetings/calls with people in multiple timezones which can be logistically challenging

Absolutely the most fulfilling experience I have had

Research Engineer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

Pros- They reward high performance very well
    - Co-workers are very talented and knowledgeably, so I was always learning from them. Because getting a job at Yahoo is tough (Used to be that 1 job given per 100 resumes), the quality of people here is of high caliber.
    - Possibility to work with multiple teams, so you can work on more than one project at the same time and keep life interesting
    - Career growth and goals are taken seriously, I moved on from Software engineering to Research position gradually
    - Competitive perks and salary
    - Fun informal environment

Cons- Media coverage of the company since 2008, The inside reality of the company is completely different from how its portraid in the media.

Meh

Accounts Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIt's Yahoo! so it was fun and the people we're cool.

ConsManagement wasn't keeping up with the trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat and stop killing off brands that are working e.g. Delicious.

It's had its highs and lows

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, direct managers are typically very supportive.

ConsConstant turnover. I dont have a lot of faith in top management.

A decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Toronto, ON

ProsLimited micromanaging, very results oriented, casual atmosphere, growing at a time of industry retraction, good work/life flexibility in terms of letting you work from home, provides forum to express your ideas and sometimes execute on them

ConsA young staff and sometimes the inexperience shows, including in leadership; average to below par pension; unclear opportunities to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on results and transparency works well, but continued support and feedback always needed.

It's a huge corporation with a lot to learn, but you may have to put up w/ a lot of nonsense.

Technical Yahoo (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a well-known company. It's a huge company with great career development. You are ok to move between teams.

ConsIt's a big company without much process. It's a company based in the United States; hence, it's very US-centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage w/ the grass-root working bees to understand how life is as individual contributor. Don't assume you know everything.

Still love the company despite company turmoil...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed working at Yahoo! as I love the brand and the company culture. However, after 3+ years and 12 reorgs, I was tired of the ever-changing goals and senior leader turmoil. While there, alignment was not difficult to achieve as most folks wanted to do what's best for the company.

ConsMoving up was extremely difficult as many times, it really depended upon who you knew and how to leverage that relationship. There were constant reorgs, senior leader changes, and layoffs while I was there which served more as distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany people including former Yahoos are still rooting for you. Keep pushing forward to rebuild the brand and doing what's best.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!