YMCA

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.5 1,275 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights
1,275 Employee Reviews

Great Org

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Get to work with the community
    + Gym benefits
    + Commuity oriented professionals

Cons- Conpensation is low, but that's just working in the non-profit field
    - A little difficult to move up

Encouraging environment to build your skills

Community Outreach (Former Employee) Prince George, BC

Pros- Knowledgeable and supportive staff
    - Room for personal growth
    - Non-profit atmosphere is genuine and caring
    - Fun
    - Allowed everyone to have input in policies and processes

Cons- Communication between departments was not always the best
    - Internal cliques

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement the suggestions put forth by team members

Great workplace for young people

Contact Agent (Current Employee) Brampton, ON

Prosco-workers are friendly. My supervisor is really patient and nice.

ConsReally really busy, and some customers are rude.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization

Digital Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Oakville, ON

Pros- Great people
    - Supportive culture
    - Work-life balance
    - Free access to facilities as an employee (gym, select change rooms etc.)

Cons- Long-term employees can be set in their ways
    - Need to push for change

Advice to Senior ManagementBe supportive and LISTEN to the people that want change and want to move this organization forward. You cannot be set in your old ways.

Lead a more productive and fulfulling life with Sudbury YMCA Employment and Newcomer Services

Employment Placement Consultant (Current Employee) Sudbury, ON

ProsYMCA Sudbury lives and breathes it's core values: caring, excellence, honesty, respect, and responsibility. The organization has an excellent reputation in the community and so it's easy to take pride in working for this company.

YMCA, in this era of contractual employees, does its best to hire people full-time, especially if they have successfully completed their contract.

YMCA strongly believes in professional development and many opportunities are available throughout the year.

There are occasions to interact with many executives, whether it's the local CEO or General Manager or the President and CEO at the National Level which helps with feeling connected to the organization and provides a better understanding of the corporate agenda.

ConsAs with any non-profit/charitable organization, employees are often expected to do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there is feedback to provide, management's doors are always open so no need to express anything here.

Very good

ProsGreat hours
    Fun people to work with
    Great experience and mentoring

ConsAlways on call
    Taking a vacation means coming back to a lot of work

YMCA builds healthy communities, but not healthy internal practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kitchener, ON

ProsFront line staff and volunteers (membership, personal trainers, facility, fitness and aquatic instructors) were great to work with: friendly, knowledgeable, committed to own, and others' learning and development. They try really hard to embrace organizational values of Acceptance, Caring, Health, Respect and Responsibility in their day to day work with members and potential members.

ConsTotal lack of onboarding process for new employees, and non-existent expectations or performance reviews provided. An attempt at creating measurement standards was started, but then upper management did not have the know-how or make time to sustain the plan. Upon asking for a 3 month probationary review from my manager, I was told "You're okay. The first 3 months is just to see if you're an idiot or not". Over a year later, and still no formal goal-setting or review ever provided, but lots of verbal insults in private meetings about myself, and other staff / volunteers.
    Full time staff are allowed 12 paid sick days per year, but unspoken reality is if a person actually took sick days it was a little virtual black mark against the person.
    A totally autocratic organizational structure where 1 person makes all the decisions, and has stated "If I had my way I would just do it all myself". This leaves a feeling of never being able to do a job well enough to whichever non-descript project objective is in place at that moment.
    Lack of role definition and communication between departments; if you question a process or propose a new way of doing something more efficiently a response is received such as "that's not how we do it at the Y", or "staff just have to learn to suck it up".

Advice to Senior ManagementRead, understand and fully embrace your Mission and Values. Encourage communications between departments instead of silo'ing people from each other. Invest in leadership and management training for senior staff and hold them accountable to those behaviours and practices.

Awesome place to work

ProsA sense of belonging to a team that works together

ConsMembers will notice you when you work out

Pleasant YMCA of Vancouver

Before and AFter School Care Assistant (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsOverall good training, and support. The amount of work is fair. Good place to gain work experience.

ConsBecause the company is non-profit pay is low and also typically not a lot of opportunities to advance to different positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay,

Excellent and fabulous place to work

ProsGreat collaborative team and excellent company with great service to community. Company really values families and community..

ConsLittle advancement opportunity and salary ok compared to big market players but it's understandable being a non-profit company

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!