YMCA

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.5 1,276 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights
1,276 Employee Reviews

Great community

Customer Service (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsNIce coworks, friendly and positive environment.

ConsWhen it gets busy, it was often understaffed so pubilic maynot enjoy our 100% services.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible schedual will work better for public.

Great Place to work!

Fitness Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat atmosphere, lots of challenges.

ConsOverworked, it is a charity and they are constantly cutting corners and you never have a proper budget to do anything.

Playground Supervisor

Playground Supervisor (Former Employee) Bright, NB

ProsI worked as playground supervisor one summer. We had a lot of freedom with the position. We were encouraged to set up a theme for each week with related programming. It was a lot of fun and allowed for creativity.

ConsIt may have been helpful to offer some programming suggestions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Youth Leader

Youth Leader (Current Employee)

Prosthey encourage you try different areas

Consthey often do not give many breaks

YMCA

Member Service Representative (Former Employee) London, ON

Prosfriendly staff, fair wages, flexible schedules

Conscommunication between departments needs improvement

Advice to Senior Managementsupervisors are a must

Loved the staff but the supervisor was not organized enough to be running my area properly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing staff very friendly and easy to get along with. Loved being able to use the whole facility when not working (workout areas). Pay was good

ConsBoss was not able to do her duty well nor was there a good planning of hours when people needed more

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure almost all hour requests are bing matched so there is not a lack of staff nor conflicts between management and workers

A good company with a strong team

Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) Etobicoke, ON

ProsDecent wages for the field. Friendly staff, great hours. Comfortable and welcoming work place.

ConsWhen working for a before and after school program you have to find a way to fill your day because you are working a split shift which can be tiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep offering the benefits and extra hours paid for over time work put in.

Positive work environment, organized management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsI make a difference in the community by improving people's lives. I feel better about working with people who want to make a positive impact on the world.

ConsSalary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary, salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO Nick Parkinson is doing a fantastic job!

Awesome

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsFriendly culture, welcoming atmosphere, huge range of activities and classes to teach or participate in as an added-bonus in working there, health and fitness focus and bonuses are also excellent, great place to work. Also, fair and timely promotions.

ConsSometimes work is quite repetitive or you will meet difficult patrons, customer service dealings are sometimes challenging, cons can be found in any other company though really

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Member Services

ProsRelaxed enviroment, friend staff and members

ConsNo clear direction for management

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!