YMCA Reviews

3.6
1,453 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 170 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 73 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Camp

Current Employee - YMCA Camp Counselor in Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - YMCA Camp Counselor in Brampton, ON

I have been working at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are wonderful and the staff are very supportive. There is flexibility in our program plans so counselors can become very creative.

Cons

Some miscommunications here and there. No more than there is to be expected in a large camp like theirs.

Counselor

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Toronto, ON

I worked at YMCA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with great kids.
    Strong training

Cons

Not a lot of support during the day with flexible staffing.

Not in it for the pay

Former Employee - Front Desk in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Vancouver, BC

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- flexible schedule / easy to get a shift covered
    - work with amazing people, like family
    - leadership/management was supportive/fun/understanding, but that began to change shortly before I left.
    - free gym membership

Cons

- became too sales focused
    - management/head office started to make poor choices/changes
    - applying for leadership/management positions as an internal employee sometimes worked against you...(saw a lot of internal employees apply for jobs that were the perfect fit for them and they didn't get hired. Part of the reasoning is because hiring for all positions is done through head office, not by centre.)

- Provide your great staff team with a worthy reason to stick around longer...recognition programs that AREN'T every 7 years, pay increase, training/workshop opportunities

Secret politics at YMCA GTA Head Office

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at YMCA full-time

Pros

Interesting New Staff Orientation (Speeches are great but just pure words)

Cons

Theres no transparancy within departments and its employees. Front level employees might be genuine but the head office employees specially senior management are all two-faced, back stabbers, hypocrites, smiles at you but conspire against you. They dont prefer people who works hard, meet their goals on time, they prefer it to be the "YMCA time" which is dreadfully slow and barely delivers. They get threaten that if you do well, you'll outshine them and make them look bad so they'll conspire to dispose you in a heart beat. The association try its best to be known as a charity but until now people only know them as a fitness centre because somehow their true colors comes out and society dont accept them as a charity organization . They are not, non profit only get their title because a very small portion of their revenue get donated to the community (maybe 10% or less). It makes me laugh that senior mangement statement that they are "driven by the cause" if thats true then why not work for free. They dont like to be classified as profit or even compared to a profit organization but they are a joke. Their main goal every fiscal year is to double up their revenu, like for this year to 320+ million but yet they claim they're not all about money like a profit organization while their main goal is identical. There's no solid team in this organization, employees conspire against each other just to move up or avoid anyone from taking their spotlight. Also the President himself, his words are just empty promises. I am ashamed to admit I fell for his speech and felt inspired only for me to find out that the circle his talking about, and having a voice is just a simple illusion. Politics in this organization is deeply rooted so beware and do not trust anyone, dont think anyone is your friend, everyone here have hidden agendas. The perfect quote for YMCA of GTA is "FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT" which is the only way to survive in the polluted stagnant water that flows within this organization.

Learn to be a bit genuine sometimes. It wont kill you. Front level employees works hard and they deserve acknowledgement, appreciation and most important, transparency. Dont just talk about wanting transparency, its a two way street.

Good part-time job anything else run!

Current Employee - Middle Management
    Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at YMCA full-time

Pros

You get to meet a number of people, interact with those from different walks of life. Help people, and change their lives.

Cons

Senior Management at the main office don't understand why we're losing members at such a fast rate. Pay is horrible for the amount of work. Staff are over worked, unappreciated and feel simply like a number. Place is going down the tubes fast.

Talk to those who are in direct delivery of your programs. There is a disconnect between those at the branch level and those at the main office thus resulting in members leaving. As the opinion of those staff who are the ears to the members and you might learn a thing or two.

Great community

Current Employee - Customer Service in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

NIce coworks, friendly and positive environment.

Cons

When it gets busy, it was often understaffed so pubilic maynot enjoy our 100% services.

More flexible schedual will work better for public.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Fitness Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Fitness Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, lots of challenges.

Cons

Overworked, it is a charity and they are constantly cutting corners and you never have a proper budget to do anything.

Playground Supervisor

Former Employee - Playground Supervisor in Bright, NB
    Former Employee - Playground Supervisor in Bright, NB

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as playground supervisor one summer. We had a lot of freedom with the position. We were encouraged to set up a theme for each week with related programming. It was a lot of fun and allowed for creativity.

Cons

It may have been helpful to offer some programming suggestions.

Youth Leader

Current Employee - Youth Leader
    Current Employee - Youth Leader

I have been working at YMCA part-time

Pros

they encourage you try different areas

Cons

they often do not give many breaks

YMCA

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in London, ON
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in London, ON

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

friendly staff, fair wages, flexible schedules

Cons

communication between departments needs improvement

supervisors are a must