Xilinx Reviews

Updated 22 September, 2014
Updated 22 September, 2014

Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov
Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Mostly good people but lack the killing instinct to succeed (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth, no idea when senior management will close the site for another low cost center (in 26 reviews)

• very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Tough place for Marketing

Former Employee - Director of Marketing  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Advanced technology in a great niche

Cons

For marketing this place is nearly impossible. It is so engineering driven that no real marketing takes place.

Give more power and authority to marketing. Make them own the business like most other companies do when they get larger.

Good for new graduate

I have been working at Xilinx

Pros

A good place to pick up new skills

Cons

Low salary, less chance for career development

Xilinx- Good company to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It provides good work life balance for non-manager employees. Provides good profession growth if you work for long time.

Cons

Facilities for employees are not good. No standard process. Compensation is moderate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, great people, nice friendly culture, heading in the right direction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is good, mainly driven by stock for the higher levels. I would describe the base salary as just about ok. Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult. Lots of evening calls. Job security was very low, seems to have improved.

People and knowledge are a competitive advantage in this industry. Remember that.

Product Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

GREAT PEOPLE!
    Small team, challenging, hands on, collaboration is good, focussed on revenue

Cons

HR and MGMT squeezing employees too much for costs/EPS!
    Very tactical, too short term focused, performance does not get reflected accurately in reviews, too much CYA as there is very heavy upper management involvement and intervention in tactical and strategic actions.

Start valuing employees more, leave the functions to their job without intervening at every level

Senior Staff Engineer

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Average to above employees. Mostly good people but lack the killing instinct to succeed. Great technology, good to stay and learn for 3-5 years. Good balance between work and life. Well protected due to patents and hence the take it easy attitude.

Cons

Management is very conservative. No desire to break in to new markets. Need to suck up to management for moving up.

Got a lot of great experience, worked with some great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Xilinx is a leader in their industry leader. They are almost always the first to market with whatever technology they are creating. Programmable logic is a very cool class of product and having the opportunity to spend virtually my entire career with it has been a treat.

Cons

They went from being employee focused to being results at all possible costs focused. So while they've established a fairly substantial leadership position for at least the near-term, it's been at the expense of good people leaving or getting laid off.

Great company with excellent execution and people

Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people and teamwork is top notch. The technology is very exciting and powerful. Great place to express ideas.

Cons

Market vision and adaption is weak. Changing tactics with every wind is distracting and demotivating.

Running the company off of a database is rather scary. Talking to customers and listening is most important.

The overall Xilinx experience, both as a customer and as an employee has gone nowhere but down in recent years

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Xilinx full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leading edge tech... That's about it!

Cons

Pure bottom line focus. Consideration of past relationships and future ones are out of vogue. Sad.

1. Don't forget what made Xilinx a success. Don't "deal" with your customers and employees, embrace and appreciate them.
    2. No one trusts you any more. Not your customers, your prospects, your distributors or your employees.

Unfortunately, I'm not management really cares as they're just following the board's incentives so...

3. The board should incent the next senior management team more wisely and broadly. There is more to the health of a company than it's current stock value. If you can't get people to want to work for you and want buy from you, what you have is people waiting for alternative options that they'll take them as soon as they can.

Work, work and work. Recover. Repeat.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Xilinx full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very interesting cutting edge technology. Flexible hours. Some nice perks, like shares, canteen and gym.

Cons

Work life balance is out the window. You basically need to move mountains (and give almost your life to it) to get just ok raises/shares which don't reflect the growth and impact you've had anyway.
    On the other hand, doing a good job and meeting all your goals and even exceeding on one or more of them, may still have you at the lower end of the performance curve, getting negative feedback, and little to no rewards.
    Feeling of autonomy and control is non-existent with the heavily controlled top-down approach ; made worse by conflicting and changing goals. To do well here, ask yourself "how can I please those who pull the strings" rather than "how can I actually fulfil my role as best as possible" which feels more natural to some of us as a guiding principle.

The vast vast majority of employees are doing a very solid job and putting in a lot. If you cannot do much about the stress and workload due to competition, then at least reward employees better. People doing a very job are leaving because they feel unappreciated.
    Ask yourself "How can I make our employees feel valued and empowered?" and go from there, and I'm sure you will have your answers. Now put it as one of your own goals, and genuinely exceed on this goal (use realistic metrics to measure it).

Worked for Xilinx? Contribute to the Community!