Workday Reviews

Updated 15 April, 2015
193 reviews filtered by

1. Internship Review

Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great internship opportunity for computer science students - other departments not as much. They do a great job taking care of their employees, with great pay, complimentary housing, free seminars, and tons of fun details that create a fun office environment.

Cons

Not much growth or many learning opportunities outside the areas of computer science.

Great product but don't be fooled - you are very unlikely to make any serious money at Workday

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product, innovative approach, happy customers

Cons

Far too many sales reps chasing not enough business. Not enough marketing or pre sales support means you are cannon fodder unless you get very lucky. Ask why proportion of reps have achieved quota or how many have won a deal before you join.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many reps and give the ones you have more support. invest in proper marketing that supports sales effort and make it easier for customers to buy - all or nothing approach to subscriptions does achieve lock in but makes entry into new accounts very difficult.

A Cult Cleverly Disguised as a Software Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The snack closet. Alas, that was as short lived as my "Career" at Workday.

Cons

There is palpable sense of falseness and fake frivolity that permeates the entire workday experience and work culture. Similarly, there is the same disingenuous tone to most of the positive reviews about workday, no doubt the product of some poor intern recruited by HR to game the review average with glowing accolades of the Workday Experience. Those young men hired right out of school (yes, Workday has the same extreme gender bias like the rest of Silicon Valley) and the interns seem to enjoy this culture of fakeness, perhaps because growing up they always got ribbons and trophies just for participating. Folks like myself, with 20+ years IT experience sense the falseness the moment we walk in the door and start coding.

I liken the Workday culture to a cult. Cults typically prey on the young and naive and always have very rich, super controlling charismatic leaders and fiercely loyal lieutenants. And like any good cult, Workday doesn’t want you to leave. I had 4 exit interviews prior to my departure. When I handed my letter of resignation to my boss, instead of taking it graciously and professionally, he instead handed it back to me and said “Oh, we can talk about that later”. My immediate sense of that was, well you didn’t value what I did while I worked for you, while should you value what I say when I quit!

As most of the negative (and in my opinion) decidedly accurate reviews indicate, Workday doesn’t pay that great. Their initial salary offer was a lateral increase in pay, justifying it with RSUs that vest over a 4 year period for as a yet unprofitable company. I held out for more salary (a 10% increase in salary), and much to my surprise they met my asking price. Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that.

Overall, I felt my time at Workday was frustrating, confusing myriad of half-truths and promises made but never fulfilled, expectations set without timelines, time wasted and on an almost endless cycle of code re-working with out proper guidance, planning or direction. Oh and I did I mention that much of this wasted time occurred on my weekends or during the evening, that time, when according to all the positive reviewers written by that Intern from HR, I am balancing my life with work.

The first sign that things were off to a bad start, was ironically my start date with Workday. I tried to push it back about 10 days (in order to get my semi-annual bonus from my previous employer), but the hiring manager was insistent and I stupidly agreed to it. A few months later, I was then hurried out equally quickly of the group I hired into and dumped into another group without prior consent.

I strongly felt I was never given a chance to succeed or any kind of feedback on the work I did do. After approximately 2 months I did a performance review of myself that I wrote myself and never received any kind of feedback on that as well! I offered a co-worker approximately 30 documents (in addition to my daily coding tasks) I had written while trying to acclimate into the group. I even gave this same set of document to my Manager, only to have it summarily ignored.

My genuine impression is that I was hired merely as a placeholder until the real candidate was available a few months later. The timing of my transfer to the other group I was put in left no question in my mind. This replacement candidate had previously worked with all the other members of my group (did some reviews say clique). The only other outsider within my group was accepted mostly because he seemed to fill the role of the team mascot and cheerleader. I was the true outsider in my group and for this, I was summarily banished because of it.

Meetings were another cult like ritual at Workday. The first group I worked in met 3-4 times a week, and the 2nd group I worked in met daily for a 15 minute scrum that always went on for over an hour. All told, I would spend 10-15 hours a week in meetings and these meetings would spread throughout the day. It was genuinely difficult to establish a solid work rhythm when you’re periodically interrupted to talk about the work you’re trying to get done.

A few months after I started at Workday, accrued vacation was rescinded. It was announced via an email, of course.

There are of course, many more negatives – many of which were expressed in other honest (negative) reviews, such as the chronic back-stabbing, the lying, the Workday HR department that wouldn’t know a hostile workplace environment if they themselves worked in one (and they do) and so forth.

I genuinely think it’s a good place for young people to work, especially those right out of college or interns. They can continue to earn their participation ribbons and trophies in the form of RSUs but for experienced IT folks (i.e. those of us who really know what we’re doing), I think it’s fake, it’s a facade, a cult trying way too hard to be(profitable) .Software Company.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

Best company I've worked at

I have been working at Workday

Pros

This is a company that's growing insanely fast. With that there are growing pains, bureaucracy, etc. but this is all taken in stride. As things on the business side get more complicated, the human side is growing to help ease that - snacks/drinks, events, benefits are all growing as the company figures how to do something for 3k+ employees. Leadership is transparent about where we're heading and sets lofty goals, but the company works its butts off to try and get there. With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with). It's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

No free meals... yet!
    Compensation is not at some peers, but they try to make up by providing stock/RSU and ESPP. Everyone is a shareholder at the company.

6. A company with great culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team work is great since everyone helps
    Great technology support amazing results
    Office amenities make the day much less hard

Cons

This office is relatively small, that means it is required to each of the employees to do a step more. That means a bit more work but also lot of opportunities

7. Awesome

I have been working at Workday

Pros

great culture great company i love it

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

none

8. Great company to work for

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at Workday means having a lot of impact on many people lives as our products are used by pretty much all employees of the top companies. It's a lot of responsibility but it's challenging and exciting to be able to touch so many people and improve their experience at Work. One of my favorite benefits is unlimited holidays, which means you have to time to rest and do good work.

Cons

I think the salaries are pretty low compared to other tech companies.

Great company to thrive in

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The perks, benefits, such smart people, great time off policy. We work hard but we also know how to play hard!
    They take care of employees, investing in them. I like the management style too.
    The clubs they offer such as a book club, cycling, etc are great and they also really focus on wellness.

Cons

So one thing, they really focus on referrals, so that said, it seems a lot of lazy folks that were left at the "other" company in Pleasanton are now making their way to Workday. It's unfortunate. Just because someone is referred by their friend doesn't mean they have a great work ethic. I think they should focus on recruiting people from other companies and not necessarily former oracle or peoplesoft people. Or ask other people who may have worked with them previously.
    Lack of bathrooms in the building. Usually a line in the ladies room.

Advice to Management

I love Workday and our culture. However, bringing over managers and above from the former company/"other" company is going to degrade the culture. The other company had a cutthroat, back stabbing culture where no one shared information with each other. I really do not want to see that happen to Workday. Those people do not belong at Workday and more and more I am seeing some of those people being hired.

10. A Culture of Opportunity!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Great values, leaders, customers, and career progression.

Cons

I can't think of any cons! The best place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the intense focus on employees.

11. Fantastic summer internship experience.

Former Intern - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Great work culture
    - Very well developed internship program with lots of activities
    - Approachable workplace, easy to ask questions for help

Cons

- Pleasanton is not the most lively place.