Workday

Workday Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri

Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and a really great company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but this is understandable given company's stage of growth (in 6 reviews)

• They push you to vote for them to be one of the best companies in the bay area (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great leadership, game changing technology and fun to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTechnology, Leadership, Growth, Products, People, Benefits, WFH,

ConsGrowth brings unique challenges: Politics, Execution of Strategy, Competition catching up, Copycat players in emerging markets

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and leadership direction

Overall, great product and excellent senior management; Beware, toxic CSD environment.

Corporate Sales Development (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsGreat senior leadership, fun company events. All employees are invited to company meetings. Workday is leading provider of ERP in the cloud, stock is performing well, keep it up.

ConsMany of the old reviews regarding the CSD environment from 2012 remain true well past their date.
    Senior management may not have any idea how bad it really became, or just didn't care;
    bait and switch. Limited career advancement from CSD, most after their CSD tenure end up in positions filled with recent graduates. Some have made it into very interesting roles, the majority went into other support roles not related to prospecting for new customers. Long story short: Your CSD skills have little value in other areas of the company. (Not worth it for all the grunt work that you're enslaved to do.) Especially if you have to do it in SLC.

If you're interested in 2+ years of cold calling, only to find yourself rotating around to a somewhat related support role, be my guest. If you're passionate about sales, and you want a much more linear and logical career path, salesforce.com might be a better choice.

Great company, CEOs, product and co-workers!

Product Manager (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsCEOs who believe in me and, unlike some others, are not weasels.
    Everyone here is really smart and motivated.
    Constant opportunities to innovate, as the kind of work we do has not been done before.
    Satisfied customers.

ConsLong hours.
    Not paid competitive to the market, but that is balanced by great stock options in my case.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some kind of sabbatical program for those of us who have been running at full speed for quite a while.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsCollaborative work environment, good sense of community, great products, great customer services
    Family Friendly
    Pet Friendly

ConsUsual office politics, no flexibility for remote work or office hours

Good company, poor European management.

Account Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExcellent market leading product.
    Collaborative environment.
    Very satisfied customers.

ConsVery few people in Europe meet their targets.
    Unsupportive management.
    European management team lack autonomy
    Cliquey environment - most people have an Peoplesoft/Oracle/SAP connection.
    Creative thinking is discouraged, except amongst the 'inner circle.'
    The company is referred to internally as 'Workday and night' for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not over recruit, it is better to have a few people who have the opportunity to overachieve and are successful than a larger group who feel unable to do their targets and who become disgruntled.
    Allow the European managers greater autonomy.

So far so good...

ProsInnovative company with energized employees all working together to make the company succeed. Core values are refreshing.

ConsSuccess and growth keep company in a constant state of change. Not an environment that everyone is comfortable with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you've been doing

You get out what you put in

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsVery Experienced Senior Leadership
    Great Product
    Happy Customers
    Long Term Growth Opportunities

The software is in very high demand, and there we are filling a need that is really only supplied by one company. The incumbent vendors are doomed (with perhaps the exception of SAP). Oracle will soon leave the ERP market, because no one will be buying on-premise ERP in 5 years. Tech comes and goes, and we are on the way in.

ConsGrowing pains associated with any hyper-growth company (i.e. processes are fluid and sometimes unclear)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. As long you continue to treat the front-line employee with respect and honesty, our future is extremely bright.

a most pleasant company to work for!

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart, motivated, enthusiastic people and an overwhelmingly positive culture
    Leading edge technology
    Excellent business model
    Excellent sales pipeline

Workday is a fast paced software company with vision and leadership. It is an excellent place to advance internally, and also excellent for a future resume since it has a reputation for hiring well, and uses leading edge technologies. People work together without the paralyzing politics found in so many corporations, because the management has made it so by having policies that reinforce and reward teamwork and innovation.

Consno cons. this is a great company.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Pleasant applications development intern experience

Associate Applications Developer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThe office had a laid back atmosphere, the other employees were extremely friendly and outgoing. Everyone was helpful and it seemed like the other employees wanted me to succeed.

ConsTheir framework is unconventional and may take some time to get used to. It was a while before I could confidently start developing something without constantly needing guidance.

All that glitters is not gold

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

Pros- If you are the type who takes instructions and follows them without any space or time for creativity join this firm
    - If you also are the type who work better under inefficient leaders - Join this Company

Cons- I agree with everyone else on this portal about Workday's Clicky culture - If you are in the in crowd you get away with almost anything.
    - There is no room for innovation or creativity, coz you are expected to follow procedure every single second of your time here. Creativity is for the higher ups, if you are in the low rung and want to be creative you are going to be shot down almost immediately.
    - The nickname - WorkDaynNight is very true. Hence no work life balance at all.
    - Don't expect your manager to help you figure out your career; strengths or weaknesses. She will have no interest or intention to contribute to your professional growth.
    - Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer.

This is the part that is most frustrating - They do not like you moving around teams. They discourage that with all their might.

ps: The key to success here is to suck up to HR; There is very little sense of confidentiality in that department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost IPO phase for any company is tough -- tread carefully; compensate and appreciate employee; Review your benefits; don't try so hard to behave like a big firm.

Worked for Workday? Contribute to the Community!