Wood Group PSN

Wood Group PSN CEO Bob Keiller

Bob Keiller

Excellent Internship

Piping Intern (Former Employee) Saint John's, NL

ProsVery helpful, friendly employees.
    Given alot of responsibility for a work term student.
    Felt like I was apart of the team.
    Got to use lots of different software packages and worked on major projects
    Laid back interview

ConsDid not get a substantial amount of feedback.
    Alot of the work was repetitive
    All work was in the office, instead of some field work

Good place to start in the Oil&Gas

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood working environment.
    Strong core values.
    It is a good place to start a career, there are several courses provided mainly to develop your soft skills and help building a solid working attitude.

ConsPoor benefits.
    Poor interaction with other Wood Group Companies (Mustang, Kenny, etc.).
    Still lot to do to consolidate the whole Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a big area of middle Management which puts a big distance between Executive levels and basic employees. There seems to be a genuine effort from the CEO to reduce this distance but still lot can be done.

T&Cs so bad they can't hire anyone.

Instrument Technician (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsNot much. They are a big company so potential for development and career development I suppose. Good support for training. Good safety culture.
    Look after their people but only provided you are lucky and have the right line management. If you don't you are just a number.

ConsStill have the 'body shop' mentality. Some of the worst T&Cs in the North Sea means they cannot hire anyone, not instrument technicians anyway, so they have many vacant positions. This means the workload has to be done by an understaffed and hence overworked crew who therefore have further incentive to leave. It's a downward spiral and it is so bad that it is a serious safety concern. I only worked for them because I was TUPE'd across in a take over. I, like most of the rest of the very good team we had prior to the take over, now have a job else where.

While there are many very good people at Wood Group it is a shame that their efforts are undermined by others who are so utterly useless the only explanation for them having a job is because of who they know.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your T&Cs package from the bottom of the industry to at least somewhere in the top 25% and you'll be able to hire quality staff no problem. Then you'll have well skilled, happy crews who will get the work done that allows you to meet your contract obligations and your KPIs.
    End the blatant cronyism culture and clear out the dead wood.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid employer with potential for improvement

Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsSmart people, interesting work in local and international oil and gas projects. Practices what it preaches in terms of safety - reminded daily of the importance of a strong safety culture.

ConsLimited personal development opportunities at the moment due to limited work (on the back of slow economic conditions and lack of operator activity). Do not feel valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementLacking in definition of defined career paths. Considerably more can be done to make employees feel valued - it's the little things that count.

Shower of incompetent short sighted idiots

Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsDepends on whether or not you have any talent. If you have no talent and are incompetent then you can go far within the management structure as incompetence is rewarded.

ConsSenior management are completely out of touch. Woodgroup was built off the backs of hard working contractors who have been singled out for running down the industry, yet are the most productive contributors to the company's success.
    PSN won a lot of contracts through hard work and reputation was built over a long time. Woodgroup have trampled over PSN good practice and steam rollered their mark on the company - there is no PSN any more. Nobody within the company takes responsibility for their actions and procedures are constantly being meddled with, which ultimately causes losses for the client. The organisation is painfully top heavy, with rewards going to those that produce the least.
    Recent rate reductions combined with forced removal of independent agencies and rumours of further rate cuts will ultimately wreak havoc in the market and cause long term damage to the industry as well as the negative knock on effects to the local economy.
    The CEO is a lunatic and completely out of touch with reality and his own importance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the yes men, question and challenge idiocy at all levels. Remove unnecessary overhead costs. Retire Bob Keiler and Dave Stewart out of harms way. Show more attention to important details, not poorly generated plans that have no basis in reality. Stop lying to the clients and blaming everyone around you when reality makes an entrance to the fiction. Initiate a central repository of the most up to date procedures. Stop playing with the company logo. Stop pretending that you follow the company core values when you break them at every given opportunity. Less hypocrisy, more innovation.

Graduate Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salary, office culture, company values, benefits, management support

ConsHR issues, promotions, work-life balance……...

Good company for those who fit in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery safety conscious, more than willing to promote within. Excellent benefits! I appreciated the trust and new responsibilities they put on me during my years there.

ConsOnce merged with PSN, there were gray lines when it comes to establishing responsibilities, could change from day to day. Mass lay-offs puts too much pressure on certain employees who's plate was full and would have to take on someone else's position who was let go of the day before.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an outline of proper responsibility for each department. Respect the work load of each employee. Annual one on one review would help. Listen to your loyal employees, they know what's needed to make an efficient team.

Exciting and rewarding

Construction Engineer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe people are all very helpful and the opportunities to better yourself and progress through the company.

ConsNone really, I enjoy my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great people at a Great company

ProsGreat benefits and company truck

ConsNot located where I want to live

Roustabout Worker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood money with a lot of hours to work. You do not have to have a background in oil and energy, they will teach you how to work with it. Safety is HUGE to the company.

ConsIt is a heavy labor job. Sometimes the managers can get behind in providing materials like tools, equipment, and resources in completing and performing jobs.

Worked for Wood Group PSN? Contribute to the Community!