Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store(in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong(in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers(in 33 reviews)

145 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsInnovative, Creative, Marketing Experts, Leaders in Product Development

ConsI never had a bad day at Williams-Sonoma.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Stay positive. Drive Results

Cool brand, needs improvement - great learning

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosfun products, intelligent people who have been there for a while

Conseveryone is very stuck in their way of doing things. no one is moving forward with the marketplace. middle/senior management don't understand the workflow at the bottom of the totem pole.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the morale up!

Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, forced overtime, high stress

Production Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLooks good on a resume because other companies know if you can stand working there you can stand working anywhere. Otherwise no Pros.

ConsNo personal growth, no respect for work life balance, forced overtime including weekends, forced to skip lunches. Vacations denied. Forced to come in sick as well as work overtime sick. Have to ask permission to leave every day. Oh and multiple employees cry in the bathroom, take mental leaves of absence or develop ulcers due to stress.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved all the products, met lots of nice people and enjoyed the job on a whole.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat discount. Loved learning so much from co-workers. Enjoyed trying all the new products. Good exercise walking and climbing ladders.

ConsPay is terrible and always working weekends! Always on your feet. High expectations only from some.

Advice to Senior Managementa real disconnect and expectations are unrealistic!

Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBest Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales! If you're lucky you can find a job with autonomy.

ConsLack of Career Opportunities and promotions

Good experience in working with retail and back office applications

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWorking with the people from various departments when I was hired over 15 years ago was a joy because the bottom always mattered. The communications on cross-department projects from the project leaders kept everyone on task.

ConsNot having a defined job description for most of the IT group was challenging. When they were finalized after being there 10 years, it was difficult meeting the expectations.

Advice to Senior Management2007-2008 was difficult for most organizations and IT staff across the board at WSM were working outside of what they were hired for, so managers that can coach is a must.

Currently well managed. After 6 years and 3 different General Managers everything and everyone seem to be doing well.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Corte Madera, CA (US)

ProsExcellent products support by a well trained staff. We get personal with our customers and want them to feel well taken care of during their shopping experience as well as after with our Clienteling support; keeping customers up to date with our new offering and specials.

ConsEmployees are constantly required to do more with no increase in hourly rate. Over the six years the most I have received for a raise is $.55.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter wages that match what we do for our customers.

Williams-Sonoma needs to pay more for talent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat vendors, exciting product, good work life balance, great location.

ConsPay is low compared to other retailers and not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack communication to actionable groups, last minute changes disrupt processes

Great opportunity, average experience

Senior Buyer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFantastic product knowledge, talented design teams

ConsTerrible environment. Leadership was weak, not engaged or inspiring. People were miserable across many different teams, did not respect sr. leadership and decision-making. Processes are antiquated,

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and pay attention to your leaders

Going downhill, everyone is leaving! Don't come here if you're looking for a happy career!

(Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOne of the better things about working here is about the people you'll meet. There are some genuinely good quality people here - along with the bad apples you meet, of course. It's a shame many of these good apples are slowly but surely leaving the company. Sure, we have early summer Fridays, but these early Fridays use to be year-round. Costs are constantly being cut - even though the company does relatively well. Why aren't employees rewarded more? Another good thing about this company are that the teams here know no boundaries to perfection. They are very focused on being perfect, which is great and admirable - but soemtimes given the situation - it's doing a little too much and a bit draining. People need a life. You don't have to be 100% and wear everyone out on things that may not matter. 80-90% is good. Let's call it a night, people. If need be, let's work on it tomorrow and/or prioritize what's REALLY more important. Lastly, the holiday Children parties are great. However, if you don't have any kids, there is likely no party for you to participate in during the holidays. If there is, it is a small department thing that may very well be on a strict low budget. If you ask me, I'd rather have a party to enjoy with my coworkers than one with my kids.

ConsFor one, early Fridays year round are gone, as mentioned. For two, management can be very belittling, and too uptight. The tone of voice and choice of words can be very condescending and straight up rude.

Work/life balance is HORRIBLE. Most of the people who write on here that they think work/life balance is reasonable must be working on hourly pay. Company provides no comp time, and only provides bonuses for sr level and above. Even then, the bonus is not guaranteed at the full 10% even for all the hard work you put in! Hell, DINNER isn't even comped when you stay late to work. This company is beyond stingy. What's a few extra dollars in making sure I'm happy and well fed so that I can continue working hard and longer for you?

The company morale here is very low. They do nothing to support team building activities, nothing to celebrate welcoming(besides your welcome lunch with your manager), accomplishments, departures (I'm talking about good people who have left the company too!), and nothing to celebrate holidays. The company is very cheap and they do not care about retaining employees. They work you to the bone and are surprised when you are unhappy. It's not rocket science.

Nobody I have talked to likes working here. The turnover is crazy. I have watched many of my coworkers leave right before my eyes. Word of advice - when deciding where you want to work, why would one choose WS when so many other companies in the bay area offer so many more perks? The last time I spoke to my coworkers before I left, many of them told me they couldn't want to find a new job and get out as well.

Give the company a try. Let's see how long you last.....

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with RESPECT. You are no better than any of us lower titled people. We bleed the same way don't we? And just like me, you can be fired to. No one is invincible.

Also, show recognition and don't be afraid to praise and/or spend a few dollars on your employees. Stop being cheap and trying to save every single dollar.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!