Williams-Sonoma

Updated 21 January, 2015
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great seasonal job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Fast paced environment with customers passionate about the products. Enjoyed introducing unique products to customers that enjoyed cooking and baking. Good employee discounts so we could get first hand knowledge of products to share with customers.

Cons

Was told the shifts would be shorter than they really were. Management did not always seem to be interested in the customer; could not walk a customer to another part of the store to sell other items as we had to stay in our specific section.

Manager

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good benefits package, treat employees well, lots of training opportunities, great products

Cons

Stressful job circumstances, not a lot of room for career advancement

Visual designer - produce as close to picture as possible in all floor sets, life styles.

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good discount on full price product. Hard working managers. Friendly staff.

Cons

Training and daily work goals for visual ambiguous.

Be more specific with visual goals and make assignments clear so we are not overlapping or working on less than necessary tasks.

I work as a stock runner for Williams Sonoma, it can be a very intense job, but very rewarding job.

Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's always something to do, so time passes quickly. My coworkers are amazing and so are the customers.

Cons

The constant stock requests can be overwhelming for newbies, especially those coming on for the holiday season.

Use lots of positive reinforcement for morale. My boss does and it really helps get through the day.

I have been interviewed here.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good to wok, nice environment.

Cons

Not much friendly people are here.

Good Culture, Desire to Change, but does require patience

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work if you want to improve business processes in the DevOps space

Cons

Hard to teach old dogs new tricks

CIO needs to embrace DevOps to foster adoption across organizations

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

+Great food
    +Above minimum wage
    +Most managers are very caring
    +Most team members are very kind
    +I was able to cook as part of my job
    +Most clientele was favorable
    +They are strict on when you get breaks and how long your breaks are. You have a 6 hour shift? You WILL take a 30 minute break halfway through.

Cons

-As with most retail, hours vary per week. I'd have 8 one week and 35 the next.
    -Again, as with most retail people find it easier to complain about you than to complement you to your managers. I had gotten 2 complaints the day after Christmas from people trying to return things that were simply not returnable by company policy. I was then told by the manager to just "Have more fun" and to "Be more happy".
    -Older associates who have worked at WS for an extended period of time can be cocky and demeaning.
    -People get feisty about who's sales associate number gets put in the system for each sale even though associates receive no commission nor do they truly receive any bonuses.
    -Email capture and credit cards are essential to me keeping my job when we have a mostly older clientele who prefer not to give email and sometimes don't even possess an email to give.
    -If I do so much as leave the cash wrap (when it's not busy) to help a customer who requests help I get in trouble for leaving the cash wrap.

Email capture shouldn't be one of the factors of whether or not someone keeps their job. Cashiers are people too, take care of them. Often times their job is more stressful than that of the Sales Associates simply because they are the ones dealing with payment. If the system asks for sales associate numbers, at least include some sort of commission or bonus. It's pointless the way that it is and only starts fights between associates and cashiers.

Company is going to fail

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great job if you like to fix problems and sit down all day

Cons

Computers are from stone age.training is long and unorganized. They spend as much time training seasonal employees than they do keeping you as an employee. 98% of incoming calls are people calling in with problems either order was messed up or they didn't get their credit or product was damaged ...way too many promotions changes daiky. Website not streamlined. To many people working as supervisors doing nothing to help new people. No regard for employees ...place is a factory. Company will eventually fail with bad customer service ...this is a job for people at end of rope or retired. Cold staff . Low unfair pay.

Talk to employees more ..get better equiptment. Change customer service or you will all be out of a job soon. Change training. Keep people for their personality rather than if they are late. Point system is grade school. Supervises are condescending and cold . If anything this job will make you want to get a better job just so you never have to go back to zombieland

I was only able to work there for a year, due to health issues, but they really take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a wonderful work environment. The management really cares about the employees. The benefits are wonderful and if you are lucky enough to be part of the management team, you are covered from day one with your benefits.

Cons

It can be challenging working retail. Your schedule is never the same from one week to the next. It can also be very physical working and stocking shelves, lifting and pulling on a concrete floor.

Working in Williams Sonoma

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

international, good reputation, product enjoyable

Cons

not well paid, not good technological infrastructure, old fashioned type of management

listen more to the employees, create an environment that would foster cooperation not competition