Williams-Sonoma

Updated 16 September, 2014
2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to learn about customer service.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Augusta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company does good job polishing your CS skills. Customer base is ok. Employee discount is good.

Cons

Upward mobility is not based on KSA's. Pay was not competitive. Units sold per transaction was always focus so you better learn to add-on.

Work on talent acquisition and stop hiring people just looking for the discount.

A supportive and rewarding environment!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Camp Hill, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Camp Hill, PA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company values and professional growth are many fold. A very supportive environment and many opportunities to grow and be rewarded.

Cons

High stress situations at times however advice from supervisors was helpful. Having to grasp a lot of product knowledge every few weeks could be overwhelming.

Overall great experience

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Easy going job, high-end, great clientele, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Not enough hours, not enough business, expensive products

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Must update store equipment and technology! This is 2014, not 1995.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Love my co-workers, love my die-hard WS guests. The store is beautiful, it is a nice setting for an 8-hr day. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Before I started working at WS, my perception of the brand was high-end elegant goods, culinary expertise; a company with a neat history and lead by Chuck Williams, a traditional, hard-working and innovative trailblazer. Now that I work there, I am very disappointed that this is a facade. It feels like a letdown. The corporate culture is very shallow, almost like the popular kids in school who think they are awesome but don't understand why they're not getting A's (bc they are just not smart enough). They can't see that their ideas flop bc there is no reality behind it. It is embarrassing. The image of the company does not match the reality, and customers have picked up on that. (I've worked at other companies, namely Nordstrom and Tiffany, whose image matches their reality, and it is wonderful) I get confused or perturbed looks, even having to stand there and defend these ideas when I, too, am confused and let down. customers ask me if the store is shutting down, bc of the sale signs everywhere. To be honest, they are right. It does look like that. Now to the technology. Please update the computer system! What in the holy heck! Do you know how embarrassing it is when I'm searching the catalog and the whole thing freezes, obviously overwhelming whatever 1995 system is attempting to run. Clienteling is a joke. Increasing the entries (by the hundreds) to a database that is already choking on its own dust. We can't get on the Internet, so if I wanted to search a vendors website to see if they sell a particular attachment or replacement part for my customer, one of us has to whip out our phone. There are times when research needs to be done on their behalf, that's called going out of your way for them, which I want to do. I would love to get people set up into the Nespresso Club right when they buy the machine. It is downright embarrassing when the phone in my pocket is more useful than the WS in-store computer system. The registers are archaic and also need to be computerized. The receipt lookup system is clunky and inefficient, sometimes telling me "receipt not found" when I have the receipt IN MY HAND. Lets look at least SLIGHTLY competent. Please fix this. Stop fumbling, pull it together guys! Your customers are watching. Stop
    embarrassing me.

My in-store managers do everything they can to navigate all these problems without going nuts. Corporate needs to study other companies and follow a new model. The trickle down effect is starting at the top of a very empty head.

Too many contract positions

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Products are great, some people are really nice, summer fridays

Cons

A LOT of the employees are contractors so there's not a lot of employee retention/loyalty, contractors are definitely treated lower than "real" employees though they do the same amount (if not more) work
    Office culture wasn't very motivating, a lot of office politics

Be up front with your employees on the possibilities of temp-to-hire work.
    Stop playing favoritism and really look at people who actually work their butts off.

Little support

Current Employee - ACM
    Current Employee - ACM

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers great benefits from insurance to retirement plans. Cross brand discounts are great at 40% off retail. Rewarding associates trough contests and recognition of tenure is a nice touch.

Cons

Leadership can develop great initiatives but have no concept of the working conditions at the retail level. Expecting 2 people to run a store ( FOH, BOH ) is insane. I have had the pleasure of working at more than one brand of WSI and have experienced more disconnect with this brand. Disappointed in the leadership of this company but thankful for the experience and growth.

Consider the back end of an initiative. How will it be accomplished while both challenging our teams but realistically able to be completed and supported?
    Stop creating new visual sets every 3 weeks, they can't be done at current payroll restrictions. Consider creating signage that doesn't change every new set but carries over. Stop wasting food on props and let's cross brand with props. Live branches cut and mailed to stores to use in vases, really!!!
    What a waste of money.

Asst Mgr

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Creative --interesting Culture great products. Fun people to work with generally-I have learned so much while working here. I have made a major life change since working here and am able to show my new found passion for cooking and clean eating while making a living.

Cons

the corporate attitude has really disintegrated the company Chuck started. I understand the need to make a profit--but why at the expense of the company's original concept.

listen to store every associates--they are face to face with your customers every single day.

Corporate

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my coworkers, I had no issues with the management team, and I completely adored my job! The discount on items was ok.

Cons

The upper management was WAY too corporate. They would rather spend money on the company jet and store visits than on incentives and whatnot. They also felt that the employees were expendable. I guess they actually were.

Sometimes it's ok to ask questions rather than just fire people. And some people would rather have a paycheck than a discount. Especially if the discount isn't THAT great.

Executive Leadership Team leads the way

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

What is most important to me today is to work at a place where I feel the leadership likes to win and succeed and also focuses on giving back to the communities where we do business. This exists everyday at Williams Sonoma, Inc. Acting like an entrepreneur is alive and well here which means hard work with a real sense of meaning and purpose.

Cons

It's retail so you have to love being flexible and not sweating change

What do you need from your associates to achieve the growth goals?

I feel good about what I do, and I love my co-workers, but none of us are ever going to get promoted.

Current Employee - Stock Associate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great
    The management team mostly tries to make you feel good about what you do
    You're allowed to be pretty independent

Cons

Raises are really, really small
    Promotions basically don't happen
    Limitations on employee discount - doesn't stack with most other promotions
    Lacks a culture of cross-training, especially when you're seasonal

Invest more time, money and development into your team

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!