Williams-Sonoma

Updated 23 October, 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 84 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

District Manager that has been with WSI for more than 5 years.

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly supports internal succession and career advancement. If you are ready to take that next step they will find the right spot for you, even with another brand within the organization, as I have experienced first hand. Stores are given the freedom to think on their feet and make the right decision for the guest. The overall atmosphere is very entrepreneurial and you feel very empowered by the leadership team. This has kept me engaged and excited in the fact that I can help steer the company in a new direction!

Cons

We run complex stores and sometimes the list of To-Do's and the companies expectation can overburdon our team. The trick is to work through your people, not doing it all yourself, and everything will fall into place.

Please continue to listen to and invest in the field team and stores. Over the past few years the changes we have all implemented together, corporate and field, has built the confidence of our associates and given them the tools to hit their goals.

Williams-Sonoma was the perfect fit for me. Combined experience in culinary with sales and great people!

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have a culinary degree so teaching classes, new product demo, contests to win tons of top of the line product great people who are tenured, associates are appreciated

Cons

constantly changing the game on the team, too many elaborate visual changes too close together

When you have an employee that you value, do everything to keep them

Intern

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very cool workplace, in the heart of the city, great supervisors

Cons

Limiting corporate structure, not a lot of fun to be had

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.

The people are great, the pay is ok, the benefits are great. The IT department however is cumbersome to work in.

Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, people, discount, sample sale

Cons

IT Department supports production and Projects, and the focus is on production because this is a retail company. The project work is shoddy, and there is not much of a level of satisfaction, as the scope changes rapidly, and projects often do not complete in time due to resource issues.

very good company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits good, you are like your own supervisor, people are friendly and you choose your own schedule

Cons

your a number not a name, strict attendance rules however understandable,

Good merchandise; easy to sell

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly associates; high quality products.

Cons

No benefits for part-time employees. Low tech computers.

Do everything by yourself and expect nothing new

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Nice location and good exposure to retail

Cons

There were less politics before but as the company is growing we see more politics and less work

It was decent.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Some opportunity for advancement. If you do what you are asked to do, you have good job security.

Cons

The higher ups do not really care about what the associates do, or give you any leeway. You must complete the task, or be replaced.

Supply Chain Network Analyst

Former Employee - Supply Chain Network Analyst in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Network Analyst in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good industry (supply chain) and position to be at - with much growth (domestically and internationally). Lots of chances to make a presence and create/leave a mark of your own. Overall is a great company but if you can get past the Cons, it may not be a bad idea.

Cons

Managers is very very bad, particularly the supply chain network expansion. It is a culture of the slaves (talk/ask/must do what ever they want). And that particular team is very non-team oriented. There are lots of opportunity for growth but why have a good opportunity for the type of work and work miserable? Is a question that only you can answer but I personally would not recommend it. Leadership is very much always in a discussion/fight (transportation and supply chain/network dept) - they do not like each other.

Quite frankly - I would advise to find something that makes them happy and not make others life miserable , b/c at the moment it is obvious they are not well aligned for success. Be more open minded and not bring back the slavery (that was a thing of the past, let it go and treat people fairly). These are particular folks, not everyone so pay close attention when interviewing and ask lots of questions.