Williams-Sonoma

Updated 19 November, 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 85 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

You get paid every week and you get a yearly bonus check.

Cons

It's a warehouse it gets hot.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, great management, great products. A very fun place to work. Provides great service to customers

Cons

Pay is fairly little compared to other retail jobs. Long hours and working weekends gets tiring.

Amazing organization with great leadership on all levels. Ability to grow.

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Williams-Sonoma has been nothing but a great experience for myself. From challenging me to be a better leader in my business to giving me the ability to make decisions in my space that I need. Within the WSI brand family there are many different promotion opportunities. The organization believes in their people and putting the people in the right places. Cross branding employees is extremely important to leverage the high-caliber talent within the company. I would personally recommend William Sonoma to anyone looking to eagerly grow with an organization. Leadership on every level from the district manager, regional vice president's, Director of stores , president and CEO they are all extremely engaged and the everyday practice of the stores. They are "hands on" and focused on making WSI a better place for both internal and external customer.

Cons

The technology could definitely use an update. I would like to see the organization spend the money updating stores scheduling system as well as register system to maximize the profitability and increasing the ability to engage the customers better. Within a world of leading technology as a retailer of high-end goods we should be a little bit more in sync with technology. Retail is always a high demand job so they're always challenges but staying positive and working through your people are always the answer.

Continue what you're doing associate opinion surveys are great and we appreciate you using the outcome of those surveys to better the organization.

sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great staff, fun environment, good customers

Cons

no promotion within, favortism, bad bay

promote within based on performance, hr do your job

Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands and products so the discount is worthwhile. Good associates. Women in upper management and not just young talent.

Cons

There is a disconnect between associates and upper management. High turnover.

Williams-Sonoma is no longer people first - I chose to be a manager somewhere else because their core values have become compromised

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Generous discount across all sister brands. Great opportunity to move between brands in your career growth. Enjoyed people I worked with.

Cons

-payroll consistently cut to the point that it hurt the business
    -management unable to coach and develop under performers
    -too many people who have worked there part time for 15 years. They were unable to sell or were cocky
    -consistent disarray with long term planning from buyers
    -quality of product decreased year to year

Listen to feedback from stores in order to support them.

little to no opportunity for career growth

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great discount and amazing sample sales and silent auctions. people who really care about their products and want to make homes more beautiful. the location is great even though the building is slowly deteriorating, but there are lots of places to eat and close to embarcadero if you ever want to go for a walk.

Cons

inconsistent. upper management pretends to care about your career development but only really care about themselves. there is no work life balance. you put in much more than you actually get out of the position because you have no time to really enjoy your job and what you are doing.

listen to the people and their suggestions/complaints.

Very engaging company, motivating and authentic. Listens to individuals and their goals and encourages teams.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very inspiring company, you can contribute and bring your ideas. Room to dream and grow. Honest candid feedback for your future development. You are encouraged to drive your business and are rewarded. Working here is inspiring and challenging and cutting edge for retail and ecom. You get to run your part of the business with support.

Cons

Moving faster than we can develop leaders. All teams must ramp up to bring along future leaders the company is young and thriving and needs innovative thinkers.

Continue to seek out and ask for innovative ideas. Great company for women very supportive. Love the people first culture. Continue to push for diversity and inclusion it is a great match with company goals.

Not for the technologically inclined

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good chances for movement within the company

Cons

They do not value technology at all. Computers that are barely held together with tape are given to new employees. Industrial printers for the design team break on an almost daily basis. They have just enough equipment to go around and no spares if things break which is all the time.

invest in your company. it's hard to attract good talent when they will not get the tools to do their jobs.

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.