Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store(in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong(in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers(in 33 reviews)

Upsides and downsides depending on who you work with...

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsAll the managers at my store were truly amazing, managers at sister-store weren't as encouraging/flexible, some coworkers are disposed to team-work, amazing discounts to other stores within company, flexible hours, some customers were extremely friendly and enjoyable to work with. Managers try to make your job as easy and enjoyable as possible even with such a bureaucratic head office. Managers often recognize hard work.

ConsSales goals cause some coworkers to be overly competitive, hypocritical, condescending or simply plain rude towards coworkers. Some coworkers don't be believe in team-spirit and rather increase their personal sales at the expense of good customer service and good relations with coworkers. Corporate policies can be annoying and excessive. Corporate is very cheap (eg: no full-time sales associates, pay per minute if managers let you go home early, etc.) Very little opportunity for growth, hard work does not equal much greater salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in loyal employees (more hours, insurance, better pay, etc), avoid being so bureaucratic and inefficient, managers keep up the good work!

Great Place to Learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product and Operational structure
    Wonderful people
    Fun place
    Generous discounts
    Great place to learn retail business

ConsPoor employee appreciation
    Not a giving/ sharing company
    No room to grow
    Not enough resources for the tasks expected
    Very poor corporate/field communication and accessibility

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management should look at going back to their original roots (with focus on employees), restructure operational demands to meet the low cost expected or plan to invest in labor to meet tasks and ensure consistent customer experience.

Great Employer

Seasonal Stock Associate (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsPretty positive work experience! Coworkers were all great and friendly, no shortage of work - pretty busy during the Christmas Season, but that's to be expected.

ConsNot many! I was rescheduled without being informed of the change on one occasion, that's about it. Some might find the Christmas rush stressful but the stock associates who stayed late to catch up on unpacking deliveries were well compensated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not work here seasonally- it is not worth it!

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsDiscount if you can afford it. Nice staff.

ConsTotally disorganized management, few shifts, low pay, very busy and stressful. They do not give benefits to most of their full time staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what is going on!

Good place to work part time

Casual Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, although now you are required to work three days a week
    Excellent discount across all company brands
    Learn a lot about the products and cooking
    Great team at the store makes it a fun place to work

ConsNew leadership is changing the policies of what made this brand so great for consumers.
    Having on-call shifts every week and only being able to call one hour before shift makes it difficult to schedule other jobs.
    Long hours during holidays and little training of seasonal workers makes job difficult, as well as payroll cuts that leave you without enough people working critical days.
    Can be difficult to deal with rude customers, especially for the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting the hours, especially in the stock room We have not had a full time stock person for 5+ years and it shows. We cannot unpack boxes, stock and keep the back clean without dedicated staff.
    Change the on-call policy--having to wait till one hour before shift is ridiculous and is a time waster for many of us, keeping us from other jobs.
    Create a better tool for communication with casual people, especially emailing our schedules during the holidays.
    Bring back the contests where we actually win something!
    Eroding the corporate culture from 10 years ago--where we were there for the customer--is going to lose us customers. Already they are going to Macy's, Costco and other brands rather than Williams-Sonoma, because we aren't offering to be there for them. People go to Nordstrom's and Williams-Sonoma and pay higher prices because of how we care for them.

Great people, fun place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsGreat people, fun place/culture, good discount, reputable products.

ConsThey lost me when they rolled out their company credit card they wanted to push on customers, along with high sales goals without any sort of incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor paying your employees such a small salary, don't expect your numbers to be where you want them to be. Also stop having associates ask so many ridiculous and daunting questions when customers are checking out (i.e., what's your zip code, e-mail address, would you like to open a credit card, etc.) makes for a frustrating shopping experience for all parties - customer, associate, and long line of people just wanting to pay for their product(s) and get on with their day.

It Was Fun Working At The Call Center!

Furniture Specialist (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsThe Pros of working at Williams-Sonoma were great employees , everyone had a welcoming type of feel! The managers really try and help you succeed & there is always room from advancement! They are always giving away free things & having raffles to keep all the employee's engaged! PLUS there is ALOT of overtime available especially around the holidays & summertime!

ConsThe pay could be better ;

Disorganized, profit oriented.

Associate (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsAssociates get good discount, even on most sale items. Most associates and some of the managers were nice to work with.

ConsInconsistent schedule. Poor distribution of hours to associates - favorites get more hours. Lower pay in comparison to other retailers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat associates decently and fairly. Invest time training associates instead of constantly having to hire to replace those who left out of frustration.

Great products, difficult to advance

Retail Associate (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX (US)

ProsThe company offers casual associates the ability to determine what days they want to work. Great employee discount and great products. People want to shop at WS so customers are generally great to deal with.

ConsReally difficult to move up. Movement seems to be highly based on who you know not what you know. Policies are generally inconsistently enforced. Hours can be extremely unpredictable and go from excessive to nothing between December and March.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the big picture when it comes to resources given to the store to conduct business.

Great work life balance culture

ProsWilliams-Sonoma is very understanding about their workers having family and encourages to balance those aspects. Peers and co-workers are all very supportive and take pride in the work we do which makes it a good place to work. They accommodate (do not prefer) remote working conditions which can help with the work life balance aspect of things.

ConsStill very corporate which makes project completion a bit hectic at times since there are a lot of departments to go through to get consensus. Need to be able to adjust to project changing in the last minute which can make things more stressful

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!