Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 72 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Time off was hard to come by, work/life balance very difficult to achieve"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Upsides and downsides depending on who you work with...

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsAll the managers at my store were truly amazing, managers at sister-store weren't as encouraging/flexible, some coworkers are disposed to team-work, amazing discounts to other stores within company, flexible hours, some customers were extremely friendly and enjoyable to work with. Managers try to make your job as easy and enjoyable as possible even with such a bureaucratic head office. Managers often recognize hard work.

ConsSales goals cause some coworkers to be overly competitive, hypocritical, condescending or simply plain rude towards coworkers. Some coworkers don't be believe in team-spirit and rather increase their personal sales at the expense of good customer service and good relations with coworkers. Corporate policies can be annoying and excessive. Corporate is very cheap (eg: no full-time sales associates, pay per minute if managers let you go home early, etc.) Very little opportunity for growth, hard work does not equal much greater salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in loyal employees (more hours, insurance, better pay, etc), avoid being so bureaucratic and inefficient, managers keep up the good work!

Great Place to Learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product and Operational structure
Wonderful people
Fun place
Generous discounts
Great place to learn retail business

ConsPoor employee appreciation
Not a giving/ sharing company
No room to grow
Not enough resources for the tasks expected
Very poor corporate/field communication and accessibility

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management should look at going back to their original roots (with focus on employees), restructure operational demands to meet the low cost expected or plan to invest in labor to meet tasks and ensure consistent customer experience.

Great Employer

Seasonal Stock Associate (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsPretty positive work experience! Coworkers were all great and friendly, no shortage of work - pretty busy during the Christmas Season, but that's to be expected.

ConsNot many! I was rescheduled without being informed of the change on one occasion, that's about it. Some might find the Christmas rush stressful but the stock associates who stayed late to catch up on unpacking deliveries were well compensated.

Do not work here seasonally- it is not worth it!

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscount if you can afford it. Nice staff.

ConsTotally disorganized management, few shifts, low pay, very busy and stressful. They do not give benefits to most of their full time staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what is going on!

Laid back but pay not competitive for the area

Full Service Associate (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLaid back, easy job, great discount

Consincompetent management team, salary, time off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all of your employees want your jobs. It's ok to take their advice sometimes without feeling threatened. Some associates are more educated than the management team so it's frustrating working for people who know less than you.

Good Company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Brea, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

ProsFun place to work. Good managers. Really enjoyed the Williams Sonoma School, where the company brought in people representing a certain make or brand, for example, Cusinart or All Clad and you would learn all about the products sold in the store. Gave you more confidence and knowledge when talking and making sales with customers.

ConsJust wear comfortable shoes, because you will have to be on your feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways appreciated when the managers would give commendation of a person's hard work.

Decline in standards and support

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I work with REALLY want to provide a great shopping experience, both with products and culinary education

ConsCorporate support has gone AWOL

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your managers-When they are pleading for extra hours to be able to have enough help, its not so they can sit in their offices and do their nails. They are trying to keep up with all the metric reports, webinars (that are like a middle school slide show-come, on. WS is in California-there must be someone that can bring the IT system up to speed,. I'm just guessing), floor set changes (why not put stuff on a rotating floor belt), culinary programs that don't get the extra hours to have the classes done right-or pay for a quality culinary professional to teach them (do you honestly think a $9.00 an hour person has the same capability to teach a cooking class as a trained chef? ZzzzZzzzZzz WAKE UP!

Great employment for a part-time seeker.

Seasonal Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, great discount. Beautiful merchandise, never gets boring. Nice clientele, generally pleasant.

ConsAdvancement opportunities only if you're willing to kill yourself--Physically strenuous full-time work. Heavy lifting. Poor pay for management. Be willing to push consumer debt in the form of the branded Visa card. In the three years that I've been there, hours are continually being cut to meet payroll budget. Expect to work hard and do a lot in a short period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with pricing. Suggest a rewards card that is NOT a Visa.

Fun and interesting place to work

Associate (Former Employee)
Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat employee discount! You will typically get to sample food while working, and be around coworkers who really enjoy what they do and the products they sell. You get to learn a lot about the wide variety of great products.

ConsDifficult to get time off or move shifts. Monthly payroll varies from month to month based on sales, which affects the number of shifts available for employees to work. Working hourly at WIlliams-Sonoma could never be your sole source of income as available hours are sporadic - some weeks I would work 1 or 2 shifts, and others I would work daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there could be a way to increase available payroll so that hourly employees could work more regularly, it would provide a more reliable income for them.

Williams-Sonoma needs to pay more for talent

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat vendors, exciting product, good work life balance, great location.

ConsPay is low compared to other retailers and not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack communication to actionable groups, last minute changes disrupt processes

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 532 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.