Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated 28 August, 2014

2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Upsides and downsides depending on who you work with...

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

All the managers at my store were truly amazing, managers at sister-store weren't as encouraging/flexible, some coworkers are disposed to team-work, amazing discounts to other stores within company, flexible hours, some customers were extremely friendly and enjoyable to work with. Managers try to make your job as easy and enjoyable as possible even with such a bureaucratic head office. Managers often recognize hard work.

Cons

Sales goals cause some coworkers to be overly competitive, hypocritical, condescending or simply plain rude towards coworkers. Some coworkers don't be believe in team-spirit and rather increase their personal sales at the expense of good customer service and good relations with coworkers. Corporate policies can be annoying and excessive. Corporate is very cheap (eg: no full-time sales associates, pay per minute if managers let you go home early, etc.) Very little opportunity for growth, hard work does not equal much greater salary.

Invest in loyal employees (more hours, insurance, better pay, etc), avoid being so bureaucratic and inefficient, managers keep up the good work!

Great Place to Learn

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product and Operational structure
    Wonderful people
    Fun place
    Generous discounts
    Great place to learn retail business

Cons

Poor employee appreciation
    Not a giving/ sharing company
    No room to grow
    Not enough resources for the tasks expected
    Very poor corporate/field communication and accessibility

Top management should look at going back to their original roots (with focus on employees), restructure operational demands to meet the low cost expected or plan to invest in labor to meet tasks and ensure consistent customer experience.

Great Employer

Former Employee - Seasonal Stock Associate  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Seasonal Stock Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty positive work experience! Coworkers were all great and friendly, no shortage of work - pretty busy during the Christmas Season, but that's to be expected.

Cons

Not many! I was rescheduled without being informed of the change on one occasion, that's about it. Some might find the Christmas rush stressful but the stock associates who stayed late to catch up on unpacking deliveries were well compensated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not work here seasonally- it is not worth it!

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount if you can afford it. Nice staff.

Cons

Totally disorganized management, few shifts, low pay, very busy and stressful. They do not give benefits to most of their full time staff.

Figure out what is going on!

A supportive and rewarding environment!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Camp Hill, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Camp Hill, PA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company values and professional growth are many fold. A very supportive environment and many opportunities to grow and be rewarded.

Cons

High stress situations at times however advice from supervisors was helpful. Having to grasp a lot of product knowledge every few weeks could be overwhelming.

Overall great experience

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Easy going job, high-end, great clientele, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Not enough hours, not enough business, expensive products

Executive Leadership Team leads the way

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

What is most important to me today is to work at a place where I feel the leadership likes to win and succeed and also focuses on giving back to the communities where we do business. This exists everyday at Williams Sonoma, Inc. Acting like an entrepreneur is alive and well here which means hard work with a real sense of meaning and purpose.

Cons

It's retail so you have to love being flexible and not sweating change

What do you need from your associates to achieve the growth goals?

Asst Mgr

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Creative --interesting Culture great products. Fun people to work with generally-I have learned so much while working here. I have made a major life change since working here and am able to show my new found passion for cooking and clean eating while making a living.

Cons

the corporate attitude has really disintegrated the company Chuck started. I understand the need to make a profit--but why at the expense of the company's original concept.

listen to store every associates--they are face to face with your customers every single day.

Amazing Store but...

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved the environment and the people. The quality of the store products are amazing. Great company. 40% discount on all items except plug-ins which is 20% discount. Your entire paycheck and more will be spent at the store.

Cons

The salary is the worst. It is a very low paying job. Everyone had a second job except for the managers. Everyone is part time except managers who work 40+ hours. Associates are not allowed to work full time and the schedule changes every week. Also there is only a 10 minute break when you work less than six hours, 30 min break for more than 6.

Make the starting salary at least $10 an hour, not $8. Paychecks are the worst part of working at the store and probably the only bad thing about working for the company. Too much work and effort is expected for very long work days and only making 8 an hour. Also make 10 minute break at least 15 minutes. Nothing can be done in 10 minutes. Employees should also be able to combine their associate discount with store promotions.

Some of the nicest people I have ever worked with !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Work Life Balance, Learning and Development are not only encouraged, but ample opportunity to do so. Along with the appropriate offering of training in house.
    I really enjoyed the ALL Hands San Francisco Associates Conference held at the Historic Galileo High School - followed by a Wellness Carnival at the Maritime Museums Bocce Ball Courts this week.
    I was inspired by the leaderships presentation and speeches.It has invigorated my ability to 'dare to dream' ! It was an all round wonderful day of learning and engaging. Lunch was provided by a great selection of food trucks, followed by camaraderie and physical activity with fellow co-workers.

Cons

to be honest, I have not experienced any yet.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!