Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store(in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong(in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers(in 33 reviews)

Cool brand, needs improvement - great learning

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosfun products, intelligent people who have been there for a while

Conseveryone is very stuck in their way of doing things. no one is moving forward with the marketplace. middle/senior management don't understand the workflow at the bottom of the totem pole.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the morale up!

There is a lot to learn and the training doesn't cover a great deal of it.

Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsYou get a 40% discount on very popular products. Your co-workers will be more helpful than the supervisors & leads. Don't be afraid to ask absolutely anyone who's attention you can get.

ConsI can't speak for all of the supervisors, of course. The "Seasonal" supervisor I got, for my "Seasonal" employment was the worst I've ever had. He openly criticized his wards, after he neglected to answer their questions, or give them good advise. There were a couple of other supervisors who helped me, but it just made my supervisor angry when I turned to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to supervise your supervisors. Some are just not doing their jobs.

Nice place to work.

Stock Associate (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsAwesome people, good physical job (Pottery Barn stock).

Cons6am truck deliveries can be hard. As stock you sometimes have to do some things you shouldn't do like move particularly heavy furniture on your own like moving a 150 lb table on to a dolly then on to a truck or lifting an awkward 75 lb coffee table box onto a 5ft shelf. Not insane, you should just have some help which isn't always available.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, forced overtime, high stress

Production Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLooks good on a resume because other companies know if you can stand working there you can stand working anywhere. Otherwise no Pros.

ConsNo personal growth, no respect for work life balance, forced overtime including weekends, forced to skip lunches. Vacations denied. Forced to come in sick as well as work overtime sick. Have to ask permission to leave every day. Oh and multiple employees cry in the bathroom, take mental leaves of absence or develop ulcers due to stress.

Seasonal Coordinator

Seasonal Coordinator (Former Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsGreat pay, good people, good attendance policy

ConsLong hours, poor organization, poor training, poor standards

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a company culture to ensure that it doesn't feel like we are starting from the beginning each peak season.

Corporate

Backstock Associate (Former Employee) Miami Beach, FL (US)

ProsHelpful management, generous employers to entry level young adults.

ConsCompany policies, quotas, overloading single employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it was a learning experience in time and space management, you cannot expect 1 back stock associate to handle 500+ boxes without allowing them to stumble.

Lost in the shuffle of excuses not to act professionally!

Design Specialist (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsNice environment,,,,,,,terrible co workers and management

ConsRetail side... this is the worst corp. I have ever worked for ,,, I have been bullied by all management... told I couldnt drink water or use the bathroom till lunch.....Volunteered for a full day for at work for St. Jude's and never was thanked for working all day for free.. good cause though... But I have to drive over an hour and a half to get there... plus the on call shifts at Pottery Barn would call you all the way in and send you home 30 min later.. Employees are very scared of the Bullying and it makes it a miserable place to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your entire module and how to treat employees fairly and _Legally_______!!!!! Your management were bullying from the beginning.........I have worked lots of retail with Nordstroms , Baker furniture and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had................ I know you won't read this since you sent my last paycheck to wrong address and bounced my bank account over HUNDRED DOLLARS.. then HR hung up on me twice b/c they didn't feel like dealing with it since I had left...

Don't do it!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProduct, discount and people. Enjoyed trying all the delicious sauces and foods made some great friends!

ConsNo work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong. Hr did not stick up for people who told the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better training . work in the field with the managers. work nights weekends and holidays like the field employees do. Don't keep backstabbers and brown nosers working for company

Exhausting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding coworkers. Knowledgable and interesting.

ConsWhere do I start? Thankless amount of work to be done. Bare-bones staffing. Turning in to a high pressure sales environment but with no extra training or staffing hours.

Great discount, management varies from store to store

Keyholder/Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing discount, samples and usually a flexible schedule

ConsAccountable for specific sales goals with no consideration on time scheduled (ie - being responsible for the same sales number when closing and having an hour of your shift closed as an associate who is working in the afternoon)

Management varies from store to store, sometimes they don't even like to cook! Schedules can be very random and the use of on-call shifts is difficult to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop leaders! There is no career path outlined for the company, so you end up hiring from outside and end up with many inconsistencies.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!