Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 78 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

bad

Analyst (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

ProsGood office culture, good work life

Consbad promotions, not good peer work force

Advice to Senior Managementgive chance to freshers

Declining Sales, Perks, Ever-Increasing Requirements

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Provo, UT (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

ProsBest reason for working here is for the discount, fun people you work with and customers you meet.

ConsI've been at WS for 8 years. We have gone from asking for zip codes to also being required to get customers' email, advertise the WS Visa card and ask them to sign up on our clientele list. It's just TOO MUCH. Now we only get hours if we are 'top sellers.' That means you may have no scheduled shifts for weeks. How can you be a top seller if you are never working!! We're also now required to accomplish a to-do list for every shift, being warned corporate is looking at how often we're logging in to the computer on every shift. We no longer have the cool contests we used to. We have had so many problems with our year-old GM, especially ethical issues and a number of us have contacted the district manager and HR but she & HR has done nothing about him. A former DM hired him shortly before leaving the company because she liked him, even against the warning from our former GM and others not to. I don't think the new DM wants to stir the pot for fear of looking bad to her Regional Manager. What a mess. Morale is low. Everyone talks about quitting or has. It's really hard to be there now.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearance prices need to come down at a more accelerated rate like they used to. We sit on clearance for months on end. The 'culinary experts' who teach the cooking classes are grossly underpaid for their expertise. The fact that you can have numerous on-call shifts per week and have to set aside that period of time just 'in-case' you're needed but without any compensation whatsoever is ridiculous.

Didn't like it. Poor pay, poor understanding of employees needs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Crystal Cove, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat discount, some nice fellow associates, nice location

Constrying to make a living on $9.00 an hour, your feet will kill you, you don't get many hours a week as a part time employee maybe 4-8, no one will switch shifts with you

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out a away to post the schedule earlier for p/t ee's, try not to laugh at the newbies, try to make the compensation better, have time to listen to feed back, give exit interviews

Amazing Company All Concepts

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe entire company works hard to protect it's great culture . Vicki is always looking for new ideas on how to make the associates environment the best . Open door policy is owned at every level . Great Product Great discount Great contests .

ConsNot enough time in the day ! So many new great roll outs stores struggle ( but want to ) keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's already been shared

Decline in standards and support

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I work with REALLY want to provide a great shopping experience, both with products and culinary education

ConsCorporate support has gone AWOL

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your managers-When they are pleading for extra hours to be able to have enough help, its not so they can sit in their offices and do their nails. They are trying to keep up with all the metric reports, webinars (that are like a middle school slide show-come, on. WS is in California-there must be someone that can bring the IT system up to speed,. I'm just guessing), floor set changes (why not put stuff on a rotating floor belt), culinary programs that don't get the extra hours to have the classes done right-or pay for a quality culinary professional to teach them (do you honestly think a $9.00 an hour person has the same capability to teach a cooking class as a trained chef? ZzzzZzzzZzz WAKE UP!

Great Place until Philosophy Changed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Edina, MN (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat products, awesome discount.

ConsManagement always under pressure from above. Too much micro-managing of mature employees. Inflexible regarding work schedules.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. The culture is a mutual respect and willingness to accommodate associates' unique circumstances. The products practically sell themselves due to the high quality of merchandise and excellence in customer service.

ConsNo cons about working for WS, however it is a retail industry with all that it entails.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my store (PBK branch) in Orlando, Fl. management cheers for your success and growth within the company as well as providing opportunities to learn more and better yourself as an associate. GM engages every employee in being a cohesive team. Compensation is within the market's average retail business.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Internet Design Coordinator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

ConsIf you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

Great Company - GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

ProsProduct. People.Performance
The product is high quality you can believe in when selling to guest!
The people at all levels in the company are genuine and really care about associates!
The managers communicate constantly how you are doing on any given day and are always letting you know they appreciate you! LOVE this COMPANY!

ConsI have no cons.. would like to work more

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the GREAT WORK!

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Prosgood place to work part time

Consnot enough hours to work

Advice to Senior Managementmorehours

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 534 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.