Wikia

Updated Feb 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Craig Palmer

Great company culture, explosive growth, top notch leadership.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsThe San Francisco headquarters is a fun, vibrant environment where smiles abound and the kegs are always tapped. The employees are a fun crew, well educated with extensive experience in their respective fields. The company is growing, so there is much room for career advancement.

ConsThis is a dog friendly office. Sometimes dogs bark. That can be annoying. Also, there are people who leave their dirty dishes in the sink instead of washing them or putting them in one of the two empty dishwashers. Gross.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing all the right things.

Stable company with big opportunity

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Wikia full-time for less than a year

ProsOverall, a great place to work. Smart people, open source technology, big scale. Good opportunity to make an impact and work on something that millions of people will use. Great work/life balance. Decent perks. Almost everyone gets to travel to the Poland office, which is fun.

ConsCan be slow-paced sometimes. Working with a big open source project can be great but it can also add a lot of overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate a little more to the individual teams.

Intriguing, but ultimately disappointing

Front End Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture at Wikia is very casual and it shows in their nice open office located in the heart of SOMA. The people are lovely and your working hours will be flexible so long as you get stuff done. There are opportunities to travel abroad at least once a year.

ConsWikia is built on top of the MediaWiki framework which is a complex and aging monolith. This causes everything to move at a snails pace and really seems to limit the flexibility of the product. As such, be prepared to spend a lot of time in maintenance and bug fixing mode. From a users perspective, the general website experience, which has been assembled in small parts over the years, can be buggy, unintuitive and inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your employees with some long term vision and resolve. There seems to be a really big disconnect between the senior management, employees and users in terms of expectation and product development. Don't settle for a mediocre revenue scheme; try to be more innovative and don't be afraid to push forward with some risky projects, possibly even an overhaul of the underlying frameworks and technologies used. This could really speed up product development and help bring Wikia's potential to fruition.

Software Developer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsGood culture, low pressure, good managment (polish office)

ConsOld codebase, bad decisions in the past that hunt us make your job really frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to developers more.

It was OK.

I have been working at Wikia as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsLaid back environment, at the forefront of technology.

ConsLack of managerial direction, lack of communication between some groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove managerial direction.

Great place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance, fun people, fun activities, fun product. There's tons of information at your finger tips with all of the wikis.

ConsOlder technology, but they're working on that.

Best employee I've worked for

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

Pros- great, startup-like atmosphere
- challenging tasks
- developers have a lot of independence and power to make decissions

Cons- a lot of projects are done in PHP, which is not the state of the art
- late working hours in European offices (HQ are in San Francisco)

A Pretty Good Place to Work

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsI've been at Wikia for over a year, and over all its one of the better places I've worked. The culture is friendly, and most people work 40-45 hours a week. The engineering organization has been slowly growing in the US, and growing very quickly in Poland.

Its rare to find a place that is this enjoyable to work, that is one of the top 40 sites on the internet.

- Wikia has one of the best work life balances of any place I've ever worked.
- Good group of engineers.
- Some Sr. Management hires have been stellar.
- Great location, and beautiful offices.

ConsWhile the above points are good, every place has its drawbacks.

- Poor hardware setups for engineering, with a (mid range mac w/ a 3 year old monitor)
- Lacks product vision
- Poor career growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a longer term product focus, and make bold choices regarding the product.

A fun and enriching place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros* Collaborative atmosphere
* Lots of flexibility
* Plenty of interesting areas to work on, particularly around scalability
* Opportunity to collaborate on MediaWiki, the platform that powers Wikipedia (there are definite avenues to get your changes into core MediaWiki, which means they would be live on Wikipedia)
* Fantastic SF office, recently expanded, with great location across from South Park in SoMa
* Easy commuting from Caltrain, BART; reasonable private parking nearby
* Friendly environment
* Wikia's code is open-source, so you're getting paid to work on an open-source project
* The company is growing rapidly, meaning there's a lot of opportunity to take on new roles and responsibilities

Cons* Commuting can be a pain any time there is a Giants game
* MediaWiki's coding conventions are fairly old-school as far as coding style and architecture goes.
* There is significant technical debt in certain parts of the product, but not much time presently allotted to work on addressing that
* The backend is mostly Perl scripts, so those used to "younger" scripting languages may have a hard time getting acculturated
* The company is growing rapidly, which means that growing pains can arise

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to emphasize not only product quality but code quality as well. Investing time into refactoring and testing would be time well spent.

Perfect place for me

I have been working at Wikia full-time for more than a year

ProsWikia has a beautiful office with excellent support staff keeping things well maintained. The location is nice, right in between bart/muni and caltrain. The product is open source and has millions of enthusiastic users.

ConsEvery job has it's downsides, but the good far outweighs the bad for me here. One challenge at Wikia is maintaining a very large product with a ton of features that sometimes aren't as well maintained as they would be if there were less features.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's nice to have democratic processes but often things are too democratic and decisions just need to be made. This company can err on the side of democracy over getting things done.

Worked for Wikia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wikia reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Wikia CEO Craig Palmer. All 10 reviews are posted anonymously by Wikia employees.