Whitley Penn Reviews

Updated 31 July, 2014

2.5

Larry Autrey

Great!

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Whitley Penn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, very friendly staff

Cons

Busy season can get hectic

It was okay, nothing more, nothing less

Former Employee - Tax  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Tax in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Whitley Penn as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Compensation $25/hr for a tax intern + $2k sign on bonus
    Great location
    Fun events outside of work
    Open door policy with management
    The Seniors and the staff were great.

Cons

No overtime allowed for interns but the workload was that of 60 hours a week.
    The managers were not approachable at all.
    The training was similar to the feeling you get when you quickly pull a bandaid off, something of a painful whirlwind.
    The worst part of the internship was management. Their review process was very very unprofessional and that a lone is one of my greatest disappointments with WP.

Ensure that your employees are getting timely and complete feedback. Do not wait until it's too late to advise them on ways to improve themselves.

Best firm in Dallas!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Whitley Penn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work hard, play hard culture! Throughout my career I have always felt like I could trust the Partners. They are very approachable and have always done everything in their power to help when I needed it. The Partners are always very honest about how the firm is doing, even in times where the economy was not doing well. If I ever left, it would be for an industry position, because there is no better firm around.

Cons

We do have high expectations of work ethic and integrity, which some people may find intimidating. We are also very growth and business development focused, which is not for everyone.

Make sure the staff and seniors know that your door is always open.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst company I ever worked for

I have been working at Whitley Penn

Pros

Don't listen to their bs if you have a good job stay where you are!

Cons

They have nothing positive to say. No time to train expect you to walk in and know how they work. Most have their noses in the air, can't even say good morning. Don't appreciate anything. Use you up and spit you out. So glad to be out of here. HR is awful. The people I work for now are thrilled with my knowledge and never say "I have work but no time to train you".

Treat people the way you expect to be treated. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Hope you get a good laugh out of this!

Great if you are in Management, but everyone else is just a number including clients.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Whitley Penn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clients -Large firm so there is different expertise for many different kinds of tax issues.
    Employees - Great for career focused individuals right out of college with no responsibilities.

Cons

Whether you are a employee or a client you are truly just a number.
    The fees are very high for the work they perform and they might have a senior manager sign the return showing they did the work but really an intern did it.
    Unless you are in upper management your family and time does not matter to them. They will work you to death and get rid of you when they are done. It is extremely long hours and they do not care about your family or your personal needs.
    They have the employees fill out surveys said what a great company they are so they can get another award, but everyone is scared to tell the truth. The have competely differnet rules for every level. Turnover is very high.

Stop worrying about how big the company is and running the lower level employees into the ground. Treat every level the same.

They do not appreciate their employees and the hard work that is required.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Whitley Penn

Pros

I can't think of one.

Cons

Poor management and lack of appreciation and respect towards their employees

Replace that management team

Excellent company that is growing but will have to learn to trust middle managers

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Whitley Penn

Pros

Whitley Penn is a Leading regional tax and accounting firm in North Texas. They have other specilized interests such as litigation support and various financial services.
    Their are some really bright associates and partners working their.
    Their benefits are par for the course. They were paying for employee insurance at one time.
    If you put in the time you can progress in position. Lots of young talent coming on board each year. Seems to be fairly easy to become a senior auditor for example.
    Company paid vacation weekend event every 2nd year. Such as cruises and resorts.
    Friendly atmosphere of people. Attempt at work\life balance is not bad.

Cons

Partner ran firm. With that sometimes comes hidden agenda's. Most are dealt with. Firm has grown very fast. Too fast. Last two mergers were completed ok but not ready for another. As any company grows in size, their management philosphy must change and adapt. They have not learned how to do this. Partners are reviewing 2-3 levels down where they have no knowledge of that staff members work ethic. Firm leadership must trust and turn over the managing of the staff to their middle managers. Just your small company trying to grow pains. All can be changed.

Trust your middle managers. Don't try to perform their job. You will benefit by having this heirarchy in place and will be able to grow.
    Stick by your reviews and act upon them accordingly.

Worked for Whitley Penn? Contribute to the Community!