Whitbread Reviews

Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

1. A good business

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard, and get the results, you get rewarded - fantastic Management Bonus Scheme!

Cons

Lots of people that have been around too long - they may have served the time but that doesn't mean they know best.

Advice to Management

This business needs a huge cultural shift - attitude & behaviours mean a heck of a lot more than skills & knowledge.

2. Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

They care about their employees as much as they care about the customers of their brands.

Cons

The only downsides would be salary comparative to market although this is offset by the other benefits.

3. All in all not a bad company to work for! I've worked for them for 16 years! Have made a lot of very good friends.

Current Employee - Grill Chef in Bognor Regis, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Grill Chef in Bognor Regis, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

The best things about working for whitbread is the good friends you make! Even the managers are down to earth and generally will do what they can do to help you even if it's a personal problem you might be having!

Cons

The worst things are the time constraints on everything you do. The constant need to update things like labelling guides for shorter times than you would expect!

Advice to Management

Please bring back the recognition for everyone I.e. beating weekly/monthly targets guest rec. Also please give more recognition to the managers as happy managers make for an even easier happier shift/week/month which obviously makes for better service and happier customers!

5. Whitbread is getting bigger and bigger and im part of it.

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good developing courses to progress career

Cons

working weekends always at work

6. Fantastic Company, Fantastic Values

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant employee offers, you get a debit card, which if you top up you get cash back when used at certain stores, you get a privilege card giving you 25% off at all of the companies Whitbread own. Amazing pension and Share Save Schemes. So much opportunity to progress (in 3 years I went from Team Member to Assistant Manager)

Cons

It's only yourself that can hold you back

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. Working as a chef in Brewers Fayre- for the past three years- has been, for the most part, enjoyable and fruitful.

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Staff and colleagues are friendly and easy to work with. I have been given multiple opportunities to progress- from a Dishwasher to a chef- in a short space of time. I have been given responsibilities unprecedented for someone of my age.

Cons

However, I feel the level of pay i now earn is below standard. As a trained employee of 3 years, I am a valuable part of the kitchen, that being said, I earn £7.20. In comparison, a team member's starting wage is £6.50- that is, a 16 year old working part time out of school as a front of house waiter. I feel this low pay grade is due to budget cuts from managers seeking bonuses- managers who are in turn fairly compensated for saving money. This then results in high manager turnover and instability in the workplace. To put this in perspective, since August 2012, there have been 4 Kitchen Managers, 4 General Mnagers, 3 Depute GM's, and countless Team Leaders and Assistant Managers.

Advice to Management

See my Cons list, in short, pay the deserving staff a bit more, or risk losing them to competitors like Greene King, etc.

8. Great company let down by bad management!

Current Employee - Chef in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work way up in.
    Good benefits.
    Good working environment.

Cons

Overworked.
    Bad management taking sides with preferred team mates.
    Lazy team leaders.

Advice to Management

Treat team leaders same as team members.
    Allow 12 hour gaps between shift as it states in handbook

Wanting to leave after 7 yrs at Premier Inn

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Great sense of team spirit
    Hard working people

Cons

Poor pay
    Back breaking work
    Working weekends and Bank Hols
    Unpredictable finish times.
    Management constantly driving us to cut hours

Advice to Management

I work as part of the housekeeping team in a Premier Inn. Believe it or not, until recently I felt that the pros outweighed the cons. That was how highly I valued the strong sense of team spirit I shared with my co-workers. When faced with a long list of rooms and the cutting of the hours in which to clean them, we all just knuckled down and got on with it, all mucking on together to get the job done. Now somebody in management has, like a new broom made sweeping changes to the way we work. We have been told we have to complete our own list, then leave. We are not supposed to help others to finish their work, nor are we allowed to work in same room as someone else. Thank you very much, whoever did this, you are doing your best to kill our team spirit, it seems. We are being constantly harangued about 'going over our hours'. This is why these changes are taking place. When put into perspective supposing we go over by say 10 hours in a week, that would only cost the company £66. It is peanuts! Less than what they might lose if a room remained unsold or they had to reimburse a guest. I don't understand why such a huge profit making company needs to be so penny pinching. Now that we are not allowed to help one another or work together in a room, which might allow for a brief chat, ie normal human interaction. It makes us feel dehumanized. We may as well be robots!

10. It's been a good 6 years working for Whitbread

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Moving up the career ladder is easy

Cons

Can't think of any cons

11. The most corrupt company that will be getting exposed

Current Employee - Receptionist
    Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy rotas to change but thats mainly due to management not being in charge of them and our team doing our own rotas...otherwise i hear its nearly impossible tk get time off

Cons

A true corrupt company. Discrimjnates its staff based on rank...i have caught cluster managers and regional operation managers getting drunk and tried stealing from behind our bar. When i confronted them the cgm sqaured off to me and j had to physicaly push him back due to his escalating aggression. He was also threatening me saying i wuld get sacked. I filed grievance to HR ...theyre exact words.."we are not taking this as a grievance but as a query" nothing was dne about this and they protected the two managers by refusing to accept my complaint. I was bullyed also by a team leader and when i filed a grievance they refused to accept it as a grievance and nothing was done....i saw a f+b manager bullying members of staff (one instance there was a staff member sitting on thr ground behind the desk crying her eyes out) i filed grievance and the ops manager threw it in the bin. I filed another grievance to the manager above her that nothing was done and that she threw it away. The company refused to investigate and nothing was done. I was physicaly threatend by a team leader (very clear cctv of him raising a fist at me) i report this and next thing i no im being invited into a disciplinary for trying to attack him despite the clear cctv of me being calm.and him raising a fist....the company "investigated" and came back saying i was the criminal. Luckily due to them being idiots they left the disciplinary file open...it was dated...the date stated that they had already decided i wiuld be disciplined before they even started an investigation...i took photos of this clear evidence of this companys corruption....i won the appeal after being threatend with further disciplknary actionn for taking pictures of the screen. So i explained that the matter would get taken to tribunal...where funnily enough all disciplinarys were dropped. The managers denied pre determining my disciplinary before investigation and so i showed the pics. I filed yet another grievance about the above offense....and absoultly nothing was done...no investigation....no reprimanding....the reason? The EXACT!!!! words...."it would be to dificult to investigate this because they will deny it". When i was serving some cgms in a bar they started making racist jokes about the muslim community and 9/11. Again nothing was done. I found a ROM unconcious against a fire door in a dru ken slumber...apon waking him telling him he couldnt lie there as it is risking the lives of the guests he sqaured off to me shouting...again reported to the top brass and nothing done...nebeee evene recieved a reply. This company throws disciplinarys left right and centre to the low ranks..but team lesder and above are completely safe. I have kept all writen records of this corrupt company, emails, even recorded phone convos with them, discreetly taken videos. Pics. And audio recordings of there discrimination and lack of action...and when i leave this company im going to take the greateat pleasure exposing it for what it is. I do have the physical evidence of what has transpired here and i will make sure it is given to the right people

Advice to Management

End your corruption...as i say above this isnt something i have made in my head (which is how you will try to make it) i have 11+ gb of footage of this companys corruption and about 10inches thick of paper work of managers and head office signed paperwork confirming the above. Get it sorted

Whitbread Photos

Premier Inn, Prestwich (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Premier Inn (Newcastle Metrocentre) (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Dixon, Some Rights Reserved)
The Premier Inn and Taybarn in Chesterton (Photo thanks to Geograph user Steve Daniels, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo