Whitbread

Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

It's been a good 6 years working for Whitbread

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Moving up the career ladder is easy

Cons

Can't think of any cons

The most corrupt company that will be getting exposed

Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy rotas to change but thats mainly due to management not being in charge of them and our team doing our own rotas...otherwise i hear its nearly impossible tk get time off

Cons

A true corrupt company. Discrimjnates its staff based on rank...i have caught cluster managers and regional operation managers getting drunk and tried stealing from behind our bar. When i confronted them the cgm sqaured off to me and j had to physicaly push him back due to his escalating aggression. He was also threatening me saying i wuld get sacked. I filed grievance to HR ...theyre exact words.."we are not taking this as a grievance but as a query" nothing was dne about this and they protected the two managers by refusing to accept my complaint. I was bullyed also by a team leader and when i filed a grievance they refused to accept it as a grievance and nothing was done....i saw a f+b manager bullying members of staff (one instance there was a staff member sitting on thr ground behind the desk crying her eyes out) i filed grievance and the ops manager threw it in the bin. I filed another grievance to the manager above her that nothing was done and that she threw it away. The company refused to investigate and nothing was done. I was physicaly threatend by a team leader (very clear cctv of him raising a fist at me) i report this and next thing i no im being invited into a disciplinary for trying to attack him despite the clear cctv of me being calm.and him raising a fist....the company "investigated" and came back saying i was the criminal. Luckily due to them being idiots they left the disciplinary file open...it was dated...the date stated that they had already decided i wiuld be disciplined before they even started an investigation...i took photos of this clear evidence of this companys corruption....i won the appeal after being threatend with further disciplknary actionn for taking pictures of the screen. So i explained that the matter would get taken to tribunal...where funnily enough all disciplinarys were dropped. The managers denied pre determining my disciplinary before investigation and so i showed the pics. I filed yet another grievance about the above offense....and absoultly nothing was done...no investigation....no reprimanding....the reason? The EXACT!!!! words...."it would be to dificult to investigate this because they will deny it". When i was serving some cgms in a bar they started making racist jokes about the muslim community and 9/11. Again nothing was done. I found a ROM unconcious against a fire door in a dru ken slumber...apon waking him telling him he couldnt lie there as it is risking the lives of the guests he sqaured off to me shouting...again reported to the top brass and nothing done...nebeee evene recieved a reply. This company throws disciplinarys left right and centre to the low ranks..but team lesder and above are completely safe. I have kept all writen records of this corrupt company, emails, even recorded phone convos with them, discreetly taken videos. Pics. And audio recordings of there discrimination and lack of action...and when i leave this company im going to take the greateat pleasure exposing it for what it is. I do have the physical evidence of what has transpired here and i will make sure it is given to the right people

End your corruption...as i say above this isnt something i have made in my head (which is how you will try to make it) i have 11+ gb of footage of this companys corruption and about 10inches thick of paper work of managers and head office signed paperwork confirming the above. Get it sorted

Excellent

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Great company to work for very competitive pay scales, fantastic share save scheme. Good opportunities for fast progression if you want to progress quickly. Very flat structure.

Cons

Whitbread is a very fast pace business expect to put in 120% effort but the rewards are there to be had if you do.

Not worth it

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Nice team, nice guests, days off!!

Cons

Next week schedules come out a day before the week starts (no chance to plan a life), wages are beyond ridiculous for a company that makes billions, shifts are assigned whit out care (people working late and early while others just work few hours), organisation of meetings with one day notice which are usually mandatory (if its your day off, you have to postpone plans), lack of training of many team members, lack of staff, no chance to have a balance between work and personal life, even having part time contracts as many of my colleagues, working schedules that gives you less hours than signed by contract, constant management changes ...

Restaurant and Hotel side very poor to work for - Low pay, over worked, treated badly

Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very little;
     25% discount in Whitbreads brands- Costa, Beefeater, Table Table, Premier Inn, Brewers Fayre, Taybarns
    Can fit around college/uni so you can work nights or weekends or during the holidays

Cons

Having worked in Brewers Fayre and Premier Inn, you are very overworked, especially in the restaurant. I'd often put in absolute hectic flat out shifts of 12+ hours and all you get is a measly 30 min break (which is docked from you wages, no free food either- 50% off). If it was that busy, you would often go without a break. Very hard work and tiring when you are running around like a headless chicken all day as the site is so busy and there was NEVER enough staff on. They cut hours left right and centre- your contracted hours don't mean a thing to anyone- so you may think you're going into the job with X hours but don't be surprised if they're cut by half or more. No breaks at all if you work on reception in the hotel. Doing 3-11pm and then back in at 7am are common to do several times a week. By the time you've handed over to the next receptionist, got home, actually fallen asleep, you're back in work a few hours later. Common across all hotel sites even though it's breaking the law. The pay is TERRIBLE!! A few pence above minimum wage. You have the whole responsibility of a hotel and you're the only employee in the building and you have to run it and you get paid 5p more than minimum wage. The housekeepers are now on more than receptionists. Absolutely bonkers. The housekeepers job is very physical as they have to clean rooms in a very short amount of time which is exhausting to them. No extra pay on bank holidays etc apart from Christmas Day and New Years Eve night. Crazy. No appreciation, no opportunity to further your career or knowledge unless you are pally with the managers and area managers, go out with them outside of work and really suck up to them big time. You can be the best and hardest employee in the world and could achieve so much, but unless you suck up to them- no chance of progressing. Such a terrible company who act like they care about their employees- biggest pile of rubbish ever! Often working 14 days straight with lots of double backs in there and then you'll get one or 2 days off and then you're on another stretch again. Sick pay is also national minimum of approx £86 a week. The company and management teams really DO NOT CARE about you or your wellbeing.

Area managers need to be less involved and friendly with the managers within their area so there are no conflicts of interest and so they don't continually overlook the problems at each site and so that their judgement is not affected by best buddies with the other managers. Every workforce would be a little happier if they were looked after.

Housekeeper at Premier Inn

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Solihull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Solihull, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-good pay for a 16 year old (6.35 to 6.75)
    -gave extra hours in holidays etc, despite being on a weekend only contract

Cons

-need to work quickly which can be hard to do when you are new to the job/ take longer

A true horror movie

Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I worked at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Preparatory courses, shooting stars, some coworkers, chances of progressing in various areas of the hotel, chance of learning in other areas (cross training)

Cons

General manager totally unprepared, responsible for the dismissal of many employees who worked for many years in the hotel, too much pressure and little financial return for employees, employees paid below the average market.Nobody cares about what you did for the company , they dont look behind.

Stop flirting with employees and prepare better for it to be a good leader, fair and realistic giving importance to what the staff do for the good of the company and recognizing the value of employees.

Low pay

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

expanding, can be permanent employment if you meet targets and can live on the minimum wage.

Cons

Low pay, employees forced to claim benefits to supplement wages . Pathetic local management. Company profits enhanced by low pay and tax/ benefit system.

Not every one that says 'yes' to everything are management material.

Best ever

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Secure, happy and friendly working environment

Cons

Nothing negative to report for now

Keep doing what you are doing.

Whitbread Photos

Premier Inn, Prestwich (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Premier Inn (Newcastle Metrocentre) (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Dixon, Some Rights Reserved)
The Premier Inn and Taybarn in Chesterton (Photo thanks to Geograph user Steve Daniels, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo