Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies(in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies(in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements(in 10 reviews)

Where good ideas go to die, but you can make a killing at killing them.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Amana, IA (US)

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement and internal development. Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance. Iowa is a lovely state and this is a great area to raise a family.

ConsA typical, political, corporate ladder climbers environment. If you are good at spin and getting other people to do what you need you can go far fast. Very task oriented work vs process oriented. Continuous improvement on the manufacturing floor gets little more than lip service and is measured in "heads" reduced. Culture is stuck in the 80's. Innovation is feared and risk is not tolerated. Poor strategy deployment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of opportunity left on the table by treating manufacturing facilities as contract manufacturers for the marketing organization instead of a partner.

challenging environment and culture

Category Manager (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsNew product launches and emerging market

Consspeed and agility to launch

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak silo's, be agile and faster to launch product and to out perform the competition and provide quality that meets customer expectations without any complaints

The grass is always greener on the other side

Marketing Director (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsStill a solid global player driving good business results through scale and muscle. The recent changes in working culture have helped create a better environment despite a cut-throat management culture. Good values and still a decent culture.

ConsMoving too slow to keep up with competition - hard to believe the strategy will hold in the long run. If you are not in the inner circle no chance to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange from a "who knows you" to a "real results-based, values oriented" talent management system. Share the wealth with employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsThey did a good job respecting work-life balance, The location of the tech center was a short walk to Lake Michigan

ConsI had a long drive because I chose not to relocated to Benton Harbor. The working environment depends on the manager. The first manager I had was great. The second drove me out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of who you choose for middle managers. They make or break (in my case) the workforce.

Good Company for a Large Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChange, stability, competitive, brands, opportunity

ConsSlow making decisions, good ole boy system

Fearful of Truth

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros100 year old company with many brands.

ConsThey do not want to hear the truth. They are quick to react toward those speaking their mind and being truthful, and it is not a positive outcome for the individual. Anyone with knowledge and skills are the first ones they look at when they are financially challenged, which is about every three years. Additionally, they love to recruit and hire right out of college. These individuals are made to believe that they will be sitting in a nice office in short time. They do not let these young people learn and grow; they just promote them to silence them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote your new recruits so quickly. Do not put individuals in managerial positions when they do not have the necessary skills.

interesting work

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

Proslots of free training. good pay and benefits , friendly people.

Conslong hours, travel to factories from design center. large workload. people shift positions every year so it's hard to build up expertise. Headquarters town is highly racially divided. Life is good for corporate folks but not so much for other people.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people to get better quality work. Reduce playing of musical chairs with job positions for people. Otherwise, keep up the emphasis on lean, OpEx and other initiatives.

Good company Values, especially for such a large organization

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsStability, long term job potential. Leadership is trying to unite entire organization, As a whole they are trying to be a leader in everything they do.

ConsMany Corporate projects have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Although it is being worked on- there are still a lot of separate "companies" under the Whirlpool Umbrella with limited communication

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that projects that are for one division (i.e. Finance) is communicated with others (Service and Sales) so that Whirlpool can give the feeling of a united front to customers, investors, and competitors

Whirlpool - Corporate Headquarters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsThe work-life balance at Whirlpool is great and the pay is good. Leaders are flexible regarding family needs, illness, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move within the company, both within your job function and into other business areas. The work is interesting and I enjoy working for a company that produces the vast majority of product they sell in the U.S., in the U.S.

ConsCorporate headquarters is in a small town, if your spouse also works there is not much opportunity here for them. During my interview process, Whirlpool touted that they have many employees whose spouses also work at Whirlpool, talked about how they help spouses, and stated there would be great opportunities for my spouse. Once I was here, they have done nothing to help my spouse get a job. My spouse is even willing to change careers or take a step down, to get a foot in the door and contribute income to the family. My spouse never even makes it past the "rejected by outsourced recruiting company based on resume without even a call" stage. Make sure you both have a job offer before you move here. I will probably end up moving eventually so that my spouse can contribute income to the family, too. I wish I didn't have to, because I really love my job and the opportunities for me are great. But, we need two incomes long term. I understand each hiring manager wants the perfect fit, and I was naive in believing the puffing from HR during the interview process. Also, annual raises are less than the increase in the cost of living. Housing and food costs in the area are high. Company is very concerned about local community relations and supporting local businesses, so they don't put fitness centers or child care centers onsite as amenities for employees (although they have a "culture of health").

Great Company

IT Lead Analyst (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

Pros100 year old company lots of investment and evolution in IT

ConsHard to advance. Not a lot of professional growth oppertunity for SR individual contributors

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities for career advancement

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!