Western Refining

Add Photos

Western Refining President, CEO, and Director Jeff A. Stevens

Jeff A. Stevens

Decent job

Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

Prosmediocre pay and bonuses, a lot of overtime, little supervision, mostly awesome coworkers, great benefits.

Consterrible communication, have to relocate for advancement (if at all possible), no news is good news.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, locations, opportunity to learn

ConsNot work and home life friendly, corporate friendly oriented

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are the best reason to work there. Best pay in the area with good benefits.

ConsConstantly on call even when on time off but this is to be expected with the pay and nature of the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting Job Hard To believe Folks Make A Career Here.

Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) Pagosa Springs, CO (US)

ProsChance to meet different people.

ConsLow pay, long hours with no real breaks, most employees are not team players just folks looking for some quick cash so they can move along.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop the store team to care more.

Store Managers at Western Refining Retail

Store Manager (Current Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

ProsHow much you learn, if you can learn everything and handle the work load you can work at any other chain and it will be a piece of cake.

ConsThe pay vs work load and no good feedback. OM and DM usually will only notice the things that are wrong, even if its petty. They are reluctant to give any good feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic on what can be done, we hear when you all had your store this and that but in reality its like you all forget the challenges every store can face. Give recognition when its due instead of bringing your managers moral down with every visit!

Somewhat positive

ProsGet a raise every 6 months

ConsWork alone on graveyard shift

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites

Would not recommend.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ (US)

ProsBenefits , if you were allowed to use the ones you pay for.

ConsSome supervisors are not qualified to be in their position nor can they handle the requirements of that position. Favoritism is definitely shown to specific employees. Training system is virtually non existent for new employees if you don't know it's your fault and they will tell you so. Professional atmosphere is a thing of the past with this company's culture. They preach open door policy but the second you suggest an improvement you get shut out. HR forgets what the H stands for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people use the benefits they pay for.

Would not recommend it!

ProsCompensation is good.
    Office environment is good.
    Bonus systems is generous.
    Good industry to work in.

You have to find the right position and department to be successful.

ConsNo work life balance.
    Autocratic style of management.
    Many internal conflicts between areas that are difficult not get stuck in.
    Very poor communications from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more proactive in daily operations. Find out what is going on in the front lines. In my department communications were not made with employees. We lacked focus.

Retail store manager Farmington, nm

General Manager Retail (Former Employee) Farmington, NM (US)

ProsGreat chances for advancement if your willing to work hard. DMs and OMs expect a lot but 100% customer satisfaction isn't easy yet they manage to do it. Follow the rules and complete your duties, you will be noticed. Great employees and great benefits.

ConsNot really a CON but this is a corp. with many stores, they know what works and what doesn't. Change doesn't come easy, and may never come but they welcome your input.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for all you've taught me, for the challanges and for allowing me to grow. Keep finding good people and making them great.

Great company to work for

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWork with great people and in a great environment. Job can be demanding at times but it feels like everyone is working towards the same goal of strengthening the company and making it better. Still has somewhat of a small company feel to it.

ConsA little behind the industry in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the progress and the culture moving in the same direction.

Worked for Western Refining? Contribute to the Community!