WellPoint

Updated 15 December, 2014
Updated 15 December, 2014
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 107 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 28 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While this may vary team to team:
    Realistic deadlines
    Very flexible for schedule
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Gets busy towards the end of year

Claims Analyst

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constantly working. Room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes your operations expert might be in another state, getting immediate help with work can be challenging because they are also busy with so many things.

Great Benefits but sweat shop environment

Current Employee - Service Representative in Rockville, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Rockville, MD (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health benefits(watch out for high deductibles though) PTO days, adoption days off, health club reimbursements, tuition reimbursements, EEP services,good company for those just entering in the workforce, support groups, lots and lots of services to help employees

Cons

Strong disconnect between management and workers, fake open door policy, fake ethics and compliance department(1-800-be-a-snitch), they do not promote with in(so many subsidiaries if you want to be technical they actually do but not from any department you or your co-workers are familiar with), they do not seek to retain employees turn over rate extremely high, they burn you out at all costs as long as the job gets done, this company likes to place to people in management positions where they have no real experience in their department

Stop treating your workers like minions and more like people.

Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Bus Info Analyst II in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Bus Info Analyst II in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ample time off. Legacy Wellpoint offers telecommute option, though this policy does not necessarily filter down to its subsidiary companies. Culture which is a focal point of the CEO is highly dependent on which department you are in. So some departments are highly dysfunctional, others not so much and part of the reason for that is the company is an amalgamation of different companies acquired over time.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth. Managers pick their favorites. Pay is subpar. ESPP could be better. The norm is 15% off the market price for ESPP participants but WLP offers a much lower percentage than this.

Listen to the employees.

Current full-time employee for nearly 10 years

Current Employee - Clinical in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home. Pay appears to be on par with the competition, not much room for growth within the department.

Cons

work/life-family balance does not exist. Many relatively new employees promoted to team-lead and/or manager status creating some tension and mistrust from folks who have been with the company. Expectations are often unrealistic and major changes are rolled out with short or no notice at all affecting effectiveness and efficiency of my unit. Complaints seem to stop at immediate manager's level and are not escalated to upper management.10-16 hours on the job, with multiple weekends (just for catching up, not overtime pay). Burnout among seasonal employees is high, and if it was not for work at home options many would have moved on.

There are many functions which could be passed on non-clinical personnel such as keeping and reporting stats, calls out to providers/members, and general administrative, non-clinical issues and compliance. We simply need more people to do the job, especially in the field where turnaround time is mandated.

Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY (US)

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good in comparison to other companies and depending on the time of year overtime is also offered and you may be able to work overtime for another area.

Cons

Frustrating calls with little to no support from management. If you're a good representative management will sometimes hold you back from advancing within the company.

Support associates more

Good company dependent upon what division you're in.

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to telecommute.

Cons

Lack of work life balance

Great Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vast opportunity however the responsibility falls on the associate to drive their career path-tools such as training, education reimbursement, co-sharing are just a few named opportunities for associates to take advantage of , flexible work environment, such as virtual work@home, flexible schedules, leadership, benefits, autonomy of position, work-life balance

Cons

With large corporations comes the challenges of consistent communication. However, it is great to see organization such as WellPoint recognizes that and continues to improve the process.

CSR I

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (less than an year)

Pros

First day was today 11/10 pretty awesome company applied to the company early October received email for testing two days later received invitation for interview interviewed on the 27th of October and received offer and offer letter on 10/30. Went through background check with hire right which is a very unorganized company have check stubs or w2s on hand just in case and high school transcript or diploma. Other than that I'm enjoying the company already pretty good starting salary for Houston CSR I rep great benefits friendly environment and atmosphere and structured environment. management seems ok so far.

Cons

Good starting salary great benefits friendly environment nice people easy hiring and interview process.great training and trainer I really have a good feeling about my future with wellpoint

None

I love my job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is held accountable for the work they do. And, the fact that I get a bonus 4 times a year doesn't hurt.

Cons

Career advancement is hard to achieve

WellPoint Photos