Weber Shandwick

Updated 22 January, 2015
3.9

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Collaborative office; phenomenal resources; good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunities to work with great clients (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can be a little crazy at times, but you'll experience that at an agency (in 19 reviews)

• The work/life balance tends to shift to the work side of the scale, so be prepared for long hours (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Weber Shandwick as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of experience, great people and fun work!

Cons

May not be a job at the end, but you have a higher chance of being hired than most places.

assistant account executive

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than a year)

Pros

really enjoyed colleagues. Personalities and interests are similar throughout the office

Cons

terrible salary. Programs were usually extensions of American clients. Not very active in new business at the time

build credibility for better clients and bigger budgets

Great people

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than a year)

Pros

VPs who care about your well being, opportunities to grow your career as long as you're proactive, very transparent upper management which is great for morale

Cons

no HR on site makes some of the bureaucratic processes a bit more difficult

Will work you very hard but loads of opportunity

Current Employee - Digital in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Digital in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Young and hip environment. Great benefits

Cons

Don't wear out the newbies to the point they leave

Same

opportunities abound

Current Employee - Digital Manager
    Current Employee - Digital Manager

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global agency with great clients and opportunities to work with colleagues worldwide

Cons

Some accounts are more limited in scope of geography or lack opportunities for innovative work

Continue to support inter-office collaboration to the extent you have recently -- it is paying off in business development and happy employees

A certain lack of authenticity.

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Solid benefits/401K
    Professional goals/leadership development is well-structured
    Opportunities to travel and work in offices around the world
    Great industry reputation
    Most leaders want to offer junior staff big opportunities and provide support needed.

Cons

Salary not up to industry standard
    Lots of "we're all creative" talk without actually rewarding/promoting people for their creativity
    Creative ideas often were only elevated or executed on if they came from the "creative" team versus account or digital teams

Reward and decentralize creative idea solicitation and execution.

Great clients but poor senior management.

Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work with interesting brands. People with lots of experience to learn from if they give you the chance.

Cons

Bullying culture from senior staff which trickles down. Favouritism is everywhere. Progression not always based on merit, but who is in with the CEO or MDs.

Shake up senior management across the board. Need more people centric and fair management.

Big aspirations, difficulty on delivery...

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big notable agency with large clients and great co-workers. Feels like a family and co-workers care about each other. As long as you're not on large accounts, work-life balance is good.

Cons

WS global and main offices seem to have all the perks and best opportunities for new business and large clients. Local office management is slightly clueless as how to mentor and grow employees. The office does enough PR to win awards like "Best Places to Work", but execution is really lacking. Perks in my specific office are actually provided by sister agencies and not actually Weber. Upper management is disconnected with staff untill they need you for something. There is rarely proper staffing for large projects and no real tools or resources available to use for audits or new business.

Make good on the promises and things used to pitch for awards. Spend time with employees to let them know you are actually interested in them as a person and not just as a skill set. Training in mentoring and growing employees is an absolute must for VP and higher positions.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be in PR- Weber Shandwick is an amazing global company to work for. Creative colleagues, ability to work on innovative projects for Fortune 500 companies as well as start ups. Hard work pays off.

Cons

Expect to put in your hours and more. Work / life balance is somewhat dependent on your supervisor and projects you work on.

If you want to work in PR, Weber is the best of the best

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For a huge agency, Weber Shandwick offers personalized attention from middle management, insanely fun team bonding events and the opportunity to grow in the direction you want. My boss saw that I had an interest in financial services, and made an effort to move me to those accounts. Despite what comes with a big agency (bureaucracy, etc.), the corporate culture is energizing and fresh. People are smart and cool. In fact, some of my best friends I met at work. The fish in the lobby are adorable and we made up names for them (Big Poppa is the fat one who eats the others' food. If you come, you'll see him). I got the opportunity to manage the interns this summer, which was great experience in a supervisory role. The company also offers tons of training via lunch and learns and "classes" you can take on topics ranging from time management to communication styles.

Cons

Working on the same clients for the entirety of your job can get a little tiresome -- I get bored of clients after about a year and a half. Luckily, my managers were really supportive of my curiosity and desire to try new things. Sometimes it can feel like you're working on the same projects again and again, so it's up to you to volunteer for out-of-the-box assignments. If you do, management is really supportive, but the onus is on you.