Wave Broadband
www.wavebroadband.com Kirkland, WA 500 to 999 Employees

Wave Broadband Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Steve Weed

Mostly good people; toxic environment in denial.

Director (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood PTO policy for those who never get sick. Employees given a bank of PTO they may use for anything, sick or vacation. Challenging environment but in a good way. Awesome CEO; smart, personable, professional.

ConsCompensation not at fair market value. A few weak leaders have way too much decision making power, and make decisions based on personal biases or self interest before interest of the overall health of the company. Big 'cons' include weak training programming and no employee development programs or culture. No support or encouragement to further education... and a real big problem -flip a coin regarding if you'll ever get a performance review or annual raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to understand better what is happening in his organization, and not to get that information and understanding from the people he trusts most. I recommend the CEO perform anonymous employee and past employee feedback interviews ONLY if he's willing to stay true to the process and set ground rules such as no retaliation and feedback is kept in strict confidence.

Some departments supportive, others toxic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

ProsRegular morale-raising events, good benefits package, generally upbeat atmosphere.

ConsSome departments are transparent and supportive of their teams, others are oddly territorial and clique-oriented, makes for sometimes very tense and uncertain working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful to your employees- they know when change is coming and being duplicitous sows distrust.

Interesting work - smart and friendly people

Manager (Current Employee)
Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

ProsVery positive work environment in the corporate office (Kirkland). Staff is friendly and hard-working, management is open-minded and approachable. The benefits are good, parking is free and bus passes are subsidized. And there's a Starbucks in the complex!

ConsPay is probably a little lower than other places, but the work/life balance compensates for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your employees

Company needs union representation - lawsuits coming for major safety violations and discrimination

Angry Cable Tech (Former Employee)
Woodburn, OR (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

ProsFree cable but not for long, will be paying shortly.
Overtime beyond belief which is nice for paycheck.
No policies and procedures which makes it nice so every week you don't have to worry about getting reprimanded because nobody knows what the policy really is in the first place.

ConsManagement from top down needs to look at other cable companies to see how they should perform and treat employees fairly.
Supervisors should be in the field with their people seeing what is needed for safety and adequate time for jobs.
Pay is way below industry averages.
Warehouse workers make more than Maintenance and service Technicians
No safety meetings. Should be mandatory once a month.
Instant Installs. Leave customers waiting forever and ruins morale within the company.
No quota for time needed for jobs. This inconveniences customers and leads to no family life for technicians and puts them at severe risks for injury due to overloaded work schedules.
No tools provided to do your job correctly and efficiently. You can ask for tools and they will never get them for you.
CEO wants his hands in every transaction which has made company dysfunctional. Can't get proper tools or materials necessary to perform daily functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomebody needs to unionize this dysfunctional broadband provider. Safety and pay should be priority number one at a telecommunications company. Is basically a good ole boys outfit with an overabundance of upper-level managers being paid top dollar with no support from their CEO to make the place function correctly. If you don't listen to your employees they will never have respect for you and when over half of the workforce has nothing good to say about this company eventually it will fold. Investment group will learn of these matters soon enough. Change is coming.

Frustrated

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some good people working for Wave.

ConsWell, mainly it has to do with the idea of doing more with less until you can do everything with nothing. Everything the company does can be traced back to either stupidity, cheapness, or pettiness. If you excel in these three areas then you are management material. As many technicians say here, "Safety third!".

1) Technicians never know when they will off work
2) Skilled technicians (from Comcast) have to shoulder the difficult work for the "bros"
3) "Bros" are Guamanians that are off by 4pm or alternately schedule their work into your clip (i.e. new connects)
4) There is no training program, but if you are skilled you are also responsible for other outlying systems
5) Metrics to measure your job performance encourage lying and cheating and are not actively reviewed (or understood) by management.
6) "We just do what we're told"
7) Buy your own tools with your own money and pay your own parking tickets and traffics tickets that are held on to by the company so that there is an additional late fee. (To be fair Wave will pay some parking tickets)
8) You will not get a job performance review. You may bring it up several times and ask what you must do to get a reasonable raise, but in the end you will not get one.
9) Wave might falsify documents to aid in getting you fired.
10) I promise you that you will have days where you are hanging off the the telephone pole at night and yell "f^%" from the top of your lungs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement as it is, is doing a great job. They are really sticking it to the little guy.

Unorganized Cable Company should be bought out

Maintenance (Former Employee)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWell you surely will never see a supervisor which makes it nice. The benefits are standard cable benefits like any other cable company.The people are okay that work there.

ConsThe management from top down leaves a lot to be desired. Drunk supervisors are not needed in this company. There are some people who have never had a performance review with the company even after multiple years of working there. This has not changed. Horrific inventory system. You could never get supplies that you needed for basic everyday field work. Customer's having buried lines could take years as well as damaged cable. They will tell you repeatedly that pretty much everything is NOT in the budget which includes customers and pay raises. Always some excuse.
Instant installs every day makes no sense. Sometimes you will have twenty jobs in a single day and then get instant installs on top of that so you never knew when you'd be finished for the day.
No dispatch system. They don't monitor your routes nor do the supervisors so if somebody gets injured nobody would know where you were at.
Pay is way below average. You will never get a review. One of the worst cable companies I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with an incentive program to make employees want to work for this company. Instant Installs are not it. When you have a yearly meeting with the employees leave the management team out of the room so people can say what is really going on without fear of retaliation.

I worked seven days a week and many late hours a day.

Sweeper/Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have great people that work there.

Consf you as an employee don't have a territory, you have a very hard time making bi monthly quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved in a positive way with your employees!

They will take advantage of your skills and promise compensation and deliver nothing.

Installer/Warehouse/Systems Tech/Anything Else They Needed (Former Employee)
Depoe Bay, OR (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

ProsThey teach you many ways of apologizing for their inability to provide proper service.

ConsYou give them all you can. Me for example having 10 years experience in the industry doing everything from installs, to underground construction, to sweeps, and managing. I got hired on as a tech 2 with a pay of $15.15hr. . Because that was the only position they had available at the time. I was promised a review after 3 months that would have my pay adjusted to what i'm worth. Well 1 year later and a long list of broken promises I was forced to quit. They even had the gull to appeal my unemployment. I would not trust these people at all. They take advantage of you. Act like they care about you while leading you on, and on...

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the people that work the hardest and compensate them appropriately. Make sure your managers are actually working out in the field. Fire them if they come into the office reeking of alcohol.

Not a good company to work for. Use it for a short term job while looking for another.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

ProsSome nice people work here

ConsCheap towards people and the business. Extremely short sighted/small minded. No empowerment to do the job. Pay and benefits below industry. Very poor executive leadership/direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company that has the financial resources and management capability to grow the company to the next level. i.e. Comcast, Cox, TW. P.S. It's not worth as much as you think it is!

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work if you have a family. Everyone is relatively friendly. The company is growing leaps and bounds and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ConsCould pay a little more for the amount of work the employees put in. But considering it's a great place to work, it's a compromise the employees are willing to make for a company they love.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Wave Broadband? Contribute to the Community!

Wave Broadband Videos

Wave Broadband – Why Work for Us?

Wave Broadband is a leading provider of video, internet and phone services on the West Coast, serving customers in communities in Washington, Oregon, and California. Wave Broadband is part of WaveDivision… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wave Broadband reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Wave Broadband CEO Steve Weed. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by Wave Broadband employees.