Wave Broadband

Updated 9 September, 2014
Updated 9 September, 2014
2.1

Steve Weed

Wave Broadband - Start Up after 10 Years?

I worked at Wave Broadband for more than a year

Pros

The people are great. Really enjoyed the teamwork, especially when focused on achieving a common goal.

Cons

Lack of/Zero processes. Five subsidiary companies selling against each other versus the real competition. No internal cooperation/communications.

I love working for Wave (first real job)

Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a growing company with lots of room to improve, learn a lot and be a part of something that is getting increasingly better all the time.

Cons

The experience with other CSR employees 9customer service) I adore everyone. Although the training could be more expansive. There is not much guidance on how to mange your time, your work or your tasks. It's go, go, go because there is plenty to do. We simply need more people to handle the growing volume.

Management and leads could do more. But not alone. There should be several more specialized leads. More of a Retention Team. There is only one lead, and I have yet to have a meeting with him on how to improve. Granted my scores and stats are great. But there is a lot to this position that is above me because of lack of experience.

The resources to learn more on your own are also lacking. There is not take home resources to expand on. Even the inside databases lack information. It's either really old information to look at, or the last big email everyone received at once.

I love working here but I hope they are open to people who have skills that could be utilized in the call center environment.

Also, there needs to be a way to better communicate events. We're required to give feedback every day, but we aren't required or taught how to follow up on issues to retain current customers with the most current issues. Follow up trainging and resources are needed to good Customer Suppport, which we do try very hard for every day. The teams are great, we just need more. So do the leads, they need more skills and more help, and much more time to grow. They shouldn't be taking so many SUP CALLs. That is for sure... We should all work harder to resolve issues. This is not pressed in the slightest, nor are we allowed the time when the *few* of us who do try, simply are denied the necessary time. Going back to the point, that there just isn't enough poeple.

If you want a challenge, are up for fast pace and growth opporunity working with customers and being on the computer, this job is for you. The benefits for getting your stats, meeting your goals are great. I make over $2000 a month, and earning more consistently every month for my improvement.

Was promoted to retention after less than a year. Granted, this was a good choice for my personality/care for customers.

Grow your leads to specify skills and grow the teams.

The most unprofessional call center I've encountered

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is free soda and tea. You can get a discounted ORCA card if needed. You get a small but regular paycheck.

Cons

Firstly, you need to be prepared for a high school environment. In my department, there is a lead who out loud knit-picks emails received. This lead also likes to criticize and belittle subordinates to other subordinates. One of the now former employees blew her nose very loudly (annoying yes) and the lead said, "Is there an elephant is here." Also, after helping a subordinate and he was safely back at his desk, he called the subordinated "retarded." Professionalism is not to be expected from even the directors. One of the directors likes to sing or make funny voices very loudly in the call center. That's when she is not screaming, "Roll to the next call." If you work in customer service be prepared for required overtime every week because they can't keep employees.

The computer programs are a joke. The have one from the 1980s which they are allegedly finally going to retire. However, looking at the lousy new programs they have been launching, it's doubtful that will make much difference.

They keep piling more and more tasks to each work group and adding more and more steps to each tasks. Efficiency is not in their vocabulary.

Don't expect more that lateral movement in this company.

Hire a consultant to teach you about efficiency, professional, and effective management because you don't have a clue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looked promising, but went downhill

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met a lot of great and helpful people, health benefits are average but are nice to have.

Cons

First thing is they are way too strict on tardiness in the call center. For instance, if you are more than 15 seconds late from the start of your shift, a break or lunch, you get marked for a tardy. Now if you get 3 tardies in a 1 month period of time, you loose half of your incentive bonus for the month. Which could be a loss of around $250! That is a large amount of someone's salary over a total of being late under 1 minute total for the entire month!! The next thing is there is no room to grow in your department, you start as tier 1 support, then there is tier 2 support which offers the employee zero benefits from tier 1. You get no pay raise for tier 2, you work whatever shift they give you, and you can forget having weekends off. You take phone escalations and have to deal with angry customers all day, granted you might be off the phones for an hour or so a day doing projects. But, what kind of company would offer their employees nothing for a supposed step up in rank? This company..

The next rank after tier 2 is a team lead. You finally get a raise, and you still take phone escalations throughout the day and manage your team of tier 1 reps. Only problem is they have had zero openings for a lead in over a year, and you have around 10 tier 2 reps who probably all want the job. Not only that, they had a lead move to a different position within the company, which you would think would in turn mean an opening...wrong!! This company decides to micro manage and make someone take over his position even though they have an entire other job they have to do as a manager ( props to this guy for sticking it out) instead of trying to give the job to someone who deserves it.

Stop micro managing, all it does is hurt the morale of your employees! There are a lot of good hard-working people in this company. Offer a career plan in your departments, so people can come to work each day and feel they have something to strive for. Because nobody wants to work for a place where they feel they can't grow within the company. Stop worrying about money, first thing you should worry about is your employees, not your customers. Happy employees means happy customers.

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is growing, there are a lot of opportunities to grow with it.

Cons

Because the company is growing and buying other companies there are some problems coming up where the old guard of some of the purchased companies do not want to change and accept the new direction of the larger company

There needs to be more accountability or better integration of the purchased companies in to the greater Wave fold

Thanks for CHOOSING Wave...

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

Pros

The overall atmosphere in the call center is good, there are a lot of awesome people, even managers. There are opportunities for a change in position fairly often. You are permitted to work remote after you can meet your stats (usually about 6 months). Managers are patient and reasonable in expecting perfection. Because it is a smaller company there are quicker ways to support the customer with any info they are requesting that needs to be escalated to another department.

Cons

There is absolutely no commination between departments (field techs and call center tech support). Rarely are there any notes about what the tech has done, and if there are, they make no sense to anyone not trained in field tech work, and we have no decoding tool to see how the job was closed. Some of the techs will not wait for the customers to verify there services are working and we get to deal with the after math because most people don't have the balls to yell and abuse someone in person( like the field techs) as they do on the phone (me). But having worked at Comcast I am familiar with that.

Seems that the technology just isn't there to give the customers a comparative service that the competitors can. Our VOD selection is crap. You don't have the ability to set up recordings online, you don't get a free anti virus with your service. Also when it comes to bringing in new products, it seems like they are being sold and guaranteed before the infrastructure can handle it, thus creating a situation that the customer gets to upgrade and pay more for a weaker and unreliable service.

Customers must prove they are having issues with their service before anyone does anything to rectify it. There is no proactive work being done to find and solve issues. We in the call center, are like 1 step above being a customer. We are so completely left out of the loop we don't know anything until something has already been completed or started and gone horribly wrong causing a huge issue for our customers.

This is such a disheartening company to work for in the way that business is conducted. It makes me sad because this company could be great and if someone were to ask me if they should get Wave, I would tell them there money will go farther at Comcast (and I hate big huge corporations).

Treat your employees with trust and respect. Show us your loyalty and we will show you ours by caring about this job, and the company and even more important, the customers.

Mostly good people; toxic environment in denial.

Former Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good PTO policy for those who never get sick. Employees given a bank of PTO they may use for anything, sick or vacation. Challenging environment but in a good way. Awesome CEO; smart, personable, professional.

Cons

Compensation not at fair market value. A few weak leaders have way too much decision making power, and make decisions based on personal biases or self interest before interest of the overall health of the company. Big 'cons' include weak training programming and no employee development programs or culture. No support or encouragement to further education... and a real big problem -flip a coin regarding if you'll ever get a performance review or annual raise.

CEO needs to understand better what is happening in his organization, and not to get that information and understanding from the people he trusts most. I recommend the CEO perform anonymous employee and past employee feedback interviews ONLY if he's willing to stay true to the process and set ground rules such as no retaliation and feedback is kept in strict confidence.

Company needs union representation - lawsuits coming for major safety violations and discrimination

Former Employee - Angry Cable Tech  in  Woodburn, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Angry Cable Tech in Woodburn, OR (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free cable but not for long, will be paying shortly.
    Overtime beyond belief which is nice for paycheck.
    No policies and procedures which makes it nice so every week you don't have to worry about getting reprimanded because nobody knows what the policy really is in the first place.

Cons

Management from top down needs to look at other cable companies to see how they should perform and treat employees fairly.
    Supervisors should be in the field with their people seeing what is needed for safety and adequate time for jobs.
    Pay is way below industry averages.
    Warehouse workers make more than Maintenance and service Technicians
    No safety meetings. Should be mandatory once a month.
    Instant Installs. Leave customers waiting forever and ruins morale within the company.
    No quota for time needed for jobs. This inconveniences customers and leads to no family life for technicians and puts them at severe risks for injury due to overloaded work schedules.
    No tools provided to do your job correctly and efficiently. You can ask for tools and they will never get them for you.
    CEO wants his hands in every transaction which has made company dysfunctional. Can't get proper tools or materials necessary to perform daily functions.

Somebody needs to unionize this dysfunctional broadband provider. Safety and pay should be priority number one at a telecommunications company. Is basically a good ole boys outfit with an overabundance of upper-level managers being paid top dollar with no support from their CEO to make the place function correctly. If you don't listen to your employees they will never have respect for you and when over half of the workforce has nothing good to say about this company eventually it will fold. Investment group will learn of these matters soon enough. Change is coming.

Some departments supportive, others toxic.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Wave Broadband full-time for more than a year

Pros

Regular morale-raising events, good benefits package, generally upbeat atmosphere.

Cons

Some departments are transparent and supportive of their teams, others are oddly territorial and clique-oriented, makes for sometimes very tense and uncertain working conditions.

Be truthful to your employees- they know when change is coming and being duplicitous sows distrust.

Interesting work - smart and friendly people

Current Employee - Manager  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Wave Broadband full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very positive work environment in the corporate office (Kirkland). Staff is friendly and hard-working, management is open-minded and approachable. The benefits are good, parking is free and bus passes are subsidized. And there's a Starbucks in the complex!

Cons

Pay is probably a little lower than other places, but the work/life balance compensates for it.

Continue to listen to your employees

Wave Broadband Photos

Worked for Wave Broadband? Contribute to the Community!