Waste Management

Waste Management Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner

David P. Steiner

Pros:
  • "Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Great benefits including paying for parking garage or park and ride bus fair"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating"
    in 12 reviews
  • "The company has long hours, but it is worth it in the long run"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

OK

Inside Account Manager (Former Employee)
Coquitlam, BC

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Benefits program for self and family

ConsStressfull, micro managed, for a salary position, the expected work day is 9 Hrs

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust & listen to employees

Don't work here!

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pro is the 20% discount you will get on using Bagster.

ConsThe management
The consistent changing goals
Changing of rules so that you don't receive commission

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so greedy and look after your staff once and a while. Stop treating people like they are simply a resource and like human beings.

Senior Leadership in Calgary need to go

Operations Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get some leeway in the first 3 months to do what you need and then the clamps start...

ConsSenior leadership in Calgary has no idea what they are doing. Complete negligence, inability to run the business, the VP is more interested in golfing than making sure his business is running properly. Complete lack of a future vision. Keep increasing prices and losing customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you continue hiring idiots that never question you, you'll soon fall the way of the Roman Empire.

Disorganized and horribly run company

District Manager (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNothing at all, not one thing

ConsImmense level of greed
Bullying from within the ranks
Micromanaging

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management

Very physically demanding and not rewarded financially.

Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I worked at Waste Management

ProsGauranteed to have work< always be garbage, but the job does have a shelf life!!

ConsShelf life!! NOT FOR THE WEAK

Issues

Waterloo, ON

ProsOk Benifits package
Ok technology, wireless headset, dual monitors
Upper Management is in touch with their own departments

ConsLong term employee are not compensated nor respected for their time with the company
The work horses of the departments are not promoted, or paid additional rather are given more work to do until they quit or leave the department
To many areas that managers don't know what you do daily, and couldn't do it themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from with in
Min. Cost of living wage increase is a must, not a decision
Defend your employees, don't throw them under the bus

WASTED MONEY

Garbage Truck Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at Waste Management

Prosgood pay, lots of hours, benefits are great close to home, theres always garbage so its a recession steady job other staff are great

Constoo much favoritism they preach safety and rules but if your in managements good books rules and safety do not apply. incompetant route managers, senior management that ignore serious issues hoping it will just go away.

Advice to Senior Managementpull your heads out of your butts, there are some serious issues that management keeps ignoring
Safety meetings are a joke, get rid of your integrity hotline its just a tool for senior management to find disgruntled employees and get rid of them

Great company

Driver (Former Employee)
Delta, BC

I worked at Waste Management

ProsGood money, lot's of overtime available. Th ework is vrey steady. A great pension and benefit plan. Uniforms are provided.

ConsPhysically exhausting. GO GO all of the time. Long summer hours. Work outside in all weather conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everyone happy. Way more productivity! If the employees are not happy, then they slow down. This industry is all time related. A route can take 5 hours or 20hrs depending on who is doing it and the motivation of that individual at htat particular time. Slowly bring change in, nobody likes changes all of the time. Work together with the employees.

Great potential - wasted

Senior District Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Waste Management

ProsThey do pay well, they have to in order to get people to put up with all the crap from Senior Management.

ConsThe direction provided from the top on down is pathetic. Starting with David Steiner and especially Larry O'Donnell, the leaders are completely out of touch with the front line. The politics are corrosive and worse, they pretend to care about the employees, but the actions speak louder than words. They spend millions on programs that have no chance of success and while they say the praise honesty and integrity, anyone who won't go along with the lie is quietly fired. They stopped caring about the customer a long time ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a new CEO & COO to change the direction of this company and your group leadership, especially in the West, is out of touch with reality. Good people have left or were fired for little or no reason, costing you hundreds of thousands in severance and for some reason, you promote the ones who are the worst managers and leaders of people!

Learning Programs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey are really about learning and teaching and trying to get you to the next level. There were workshops for woman on how to be a better leader. Tuition Reimbursement.

ConsI wish that there were more ways to move within the company. The location that I worked at was closing and there wasn't anywhere for me to go. Moral was decreasing with every month that passed.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training to those of the aging workforce that are too young to retire but are in the midst of being laid off. When I say training, I mean out of the box. Teaching environmental to a mechanic, ect.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!

Waste Management Videos

Waste Management – Why Work for Us?

Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions. Are you interested in a career with the industry leader? Click here. Waste Management is the leading provider of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waste Management reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Waste Management CEO David P. Steiner. All 350 reviews are posted anonymously by Waste Management employees.