Warner Music

Updated 11 December, 2014
3.6

Warner Music CEO Stephen F. Cooper
Stephen F. Cooper

Pros
  • It has a really positive working environment (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, productive working environment, and overall a nice place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No pay, but not a bad thing at all considering the experience and networking opportunities you are gaining (in 6 reviews)

• Disconnect between upper management and employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Intern in Toronto, ON

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Organized Environment, Professional, Very good style and decor within offices. Great knowledge of music within the label. Felt very accepted as an employee.

Cons

Fast paced environment. Not getting to meet many artists on the label. I had issues communicating with the CEO due to his busy schedule. Location of the offices.

Great internship

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warner Music full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good connections. Fun working staff. Nothing handed to you.

Cons

Unpaid. Expect to stay late to make a solid impression.

Find some spare change for the interns

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Creative Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Creative Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Career Development, Resume Workshops, Free CDs, amazing supervisor

Cons

unpaid, sat far away from supervisors in an intern-designated room

Pending career path...

I worked at Warner Music

Pros

company perks are good.
    summer Fridays
    good ppl
    relaxed working environment

Cons

low bonus payout pending career
    not really able to expand new career paths within company

Be more transparent and available to your employees
    Be more supportive of career goals
    Provide opportunities to ALL employees to grow and learn

Great people who are passionate about great music

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Warner Music full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office environment in Burbank is fantastic. Everyone is fun and friendly and it's like a big family. Everyone I worked with is truly passionate and excited about the music we released. Dress code is very casual. There are opportunities to meet higher-ups and executives and ask them questions through educational group lunch meetings. The executives are very accessible and actually know people's names and treat other employees as equals.

Cons

Since the industry is shrinking and so many departments at this corporation now consist of very few people, some employees are seen as disposable. I watched layoffs happen with seemingly increased frequency toward the end of the time I worked there. The pay isn't the best, but nobody is really in the music industry for the money.

My non-paid internship was a leap in the door.

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I've had about 8 internships in the course of my professional life, so when I say that my internship was, by far, the most valuable internship I've had - I mean it.

As an intern, I had the same expectations that other employees did. I was treated as though I was an employee, and I was allowed to flex my creative muscles to make a difference in the company. This was much different than any other way that I had been treated as an intern, previously.

I think WMG operates with a sense of confidence, positivity and respect, and that is what makes it a fantastic place for anyone to work. As an intern, you should treat every day as though you're being interviewed for a job. While the intern program is not as strong as it could be, it's 100% up to you to transform your internship into a job, which is something I have done.

Cons

If you are interning here for your first time ever, I highly recommend you take on an internship prior to this one to get familiarized with how it is to work in a corporate environment. You'll need to cultivate a sense of independence and professionalism to be successful here. It is not good for first-time interns, but for veterans.

Also, I think that the internship program is severely lacking and that there is a lot of room for improvement to show all facets of the company.

Warner Music Group/WEA Studio Service Internship

Former Employee - Studio Service in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Studio Service in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding internship to gain experience and knowledge of the music industry. My experience working here was a joyful one as I was assigned to several different projects. From the moment I received my badge to the day that I turned it in, I have enjoyed every bit of this internship. I am grateful for the opportunity and the knowledge that I have learned here. The team of engineers were all very welcoming and did not make me feel as if I was on any other level. The environment of working in the music business was exactly how I envisioned it to be. A very relax fun workplace to explore and expose your creativity. Everyone who works here looks like they enjoy life. There is a time for seriousness and then there is a time to have fun. All the employees here know how mix a good balanced healthy life. Music is life.

Cons

The challenges are very minor when it comes to working or interning here. The new words and programs could be quite intimidating if you have never been exposed to it. You will have to learn a new vocabulary working here to fit in. Definitely have to do your own research on certain programs and devices that are used to process music. You will have to learn a new database or even learn how to do invoicing. Your internship experience will truly depend on how hard you are willing to work. Study hard and prepare yourself so you can fit in the culture.

Help interns get job placements. The training here is unlike any other. I believe that some interns will be able to contribute their smarts and experience by hiring them to any position in the company. It would be a great asset to the company considering they started as an intern.

Its been pretty good so far...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees want you to succeed and your doing real work that will help when you ready to apply for jobs and jump head first into the real world.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't much work to be done, but keep nagging and you'll find something to put your hands on.

Entry level positions should pay more. Most people coming to your company haven't been in the business for 10+ years but they still deserve a better salary because they work just as hard, if not harder.

Intern with Marketing

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, awesome people and good perks

Cons

unpaid internship. small travel stipend

Pay your interns and make it easier for them to get jobs at Warner afterwards.

In need of a makeover

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Warner Music full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work culture, always busy, and overall a nice place.

Cons

Leadership of departments need to have workshops to strengthen management. They also need to acquire a college degree to learn new skills.

People with advanced degrees should be compensated for their education and skills. Not fair that people without degrees make more money.