Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

www.wbie.com

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jun 03, 2014
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment – US – “Breakroom”

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment – US – “Breakroom”

Martin Tremblay

Finance Manager

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits and work life balance is ok. Pay is average, fun product to work for

ConsPersonal and professional growth is very slow. I have been in my role for 2.5 years and nothing has changed. There are people that are in positions higher than me, that got there based on time spent with the company than really meriting it. Very demotivating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage employee growth, promote professional movement, create more rewarding pay structure, and get rid of people who do not perform instead of promoting them for sticking to their position.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Intelligent and hardworking staff working on high profile IP

Pros- Very capable and intelligent staff, these people know what they are doing
    - Management understands games business and are well respected
    - Great IP, DC Entertainment, Lord Of the Rings/Hobbit, Harry Potter, and Lego properties to work with, just to name a few
    - Very stable for a game company: Fewer layoffs and restructuring compared to direct competitors such as Disney Interactive

Cons- Due to the larger company size, upward mobility may take longer than smaller studios but in my personal situation, I was able to move quickly due to a vacancy
    - Sometimes too process driven and a lot of red tape, needs to be more agile in order to maintain competitive edge
    - Limited or lack of original IP from games, most games are based on existing IP, they need to start expanding their business and allow for internal creative development

Advice to Senior Management- Continue growth for the business but also don't be afraid to think outside the box - let's get WBIE in the top 10 publishers list

Programmer Analyst

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsWorked under contract - everyone was very knowledgeable and capable in their roles in the project. The company provided plenty of resources for the project and lessened the regular duties for those involved. This showed a real commitment to the project.

ConsI don't have any cons to report about this company

Advice to Senior ManagementProject was run smoothly. Stakeholders and managers made themselves available as needed for the project.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Come here for the experience and fun, not for the pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsOpportunities to try new things and work with some very talented and experienced people. Great work/life balance; Great culture

ConsLower industry average pay; Politics involved to really move ahead; Lack of structure can be chaotic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and share ideas and information rather than silo information only to those relevant to those that only need to know

Great place to work

ProsFriendly atmosphere, access to the studio lot, fun projects, flexible hours

ConsTakes awhile to get promoted

Stable workplace but little incentive to strive for excellence.

Manager (Current Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsGreat brands, commitment to high quality games, very secure employment, generally reasonable hours and workload.

ConsNo upside if you do a good job - bonuses are capped (small percent of salary), annual raises are lower than inflation, very slow to promote. Lots of politics, particularly among senior management, lead to dueling initiatives that should be combined across departments and unnecessary bitterness/conflict among rank and file.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a strategy, get buy-in from everyone, follow-up on it and stick with it. Attract best-in-class employees and invest in identifying and retaining star performers.

Poorly managed game development.

Technical Artist (Former Employee) Needham, MA (US)

ProsBenefits and coverage of a corporate entity.

ConsPoor and unqualified management. A complete lack of process and project management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and seek political office.

Laid off after more than a decade

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsEmployees receive free movie DVDs several times a year and occasional screenings of new movies. Warner Brothers owns a large number of interesting IPs.

ConsUpper management is excessively risk-averse and short sighted leading to a creatively stagnant environment and frequent layoffs of loyal and talented employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDriving talented and loyal developers away to make your quarterly budgets look good is a shortsighted solution at best.

Great environment, great culture

Marketing and Sales Intern (Former Employee)

Prosvery relaxed culture, great perks, great opportunity to learn

Cons- work load is very cyclical

Full of potential, but lacking in adequate resources (in terms of process, people, and direction)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Tremendous IP and the potential for leveraging that IP
    - A number of very passionate a dedicated people to work with
    - Essentially still a "startup" culture with a hefty bankroll
    - "Warner Bros." experience can look pretty good on a CV

Cons- Lack of unifying direction/vision (especially obvious given the geographic separation of the "head office" from everyone else)
    - Too little staff to do all the work that needs to be done, and a seeming willingness by the executive team to let this situation continue.
    - "Bottom-line" decision making often at odds with creative/creation process
    - Current trend of workforce reductions at various development locations

Advice to Senior ManagementUnify the entire division, staff critical positions with enough people to get the job done without individuals having to "kill themselves," and setup a culture of "success" versus one that provides a minefield of opportunities for failure.

Worked for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!