Warnaco Group

Updated 4 October, 2014
3.3

Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey
Helen McCluskey

it was a job that i got to go to every morning for the past 12 years.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Huntingdon, PA (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

i got to learn some new work skills while i was at warnaco,got to know some really good hard working people at warnaco also.

Cons

there was never any down size at warnaco,because we all got along,there was one down size at warnaco and that was when we all lost our jobs.

upper management was pretty good, because they were aways there for the employees when they needed any help with any issues.

terrible working conditions

Former Employee - Picker in Duncansville, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Picker in Duncansville, PA (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

it almost payed the bills

Cons

low pay, lack of hours

pay more

A couple years ago it was really bad to work here...slowly improved from 1 star to 2.5 stars

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Occasional free samples

2) Decent salary & benefits...however, I suspect that this will be downgraded somewhat now that WSG was bought out by PVH Corp (Rumor has it that WSG was actually more generous with compensation).

3) Half-day Friday's in the summertime (however, you can only enjoy this perk if excessive, last minute projects are not dumped on you).

4) Within the last 1-1.5 years, many of the horrible managers/superviors/director were fired and replaced with (some) better management team members. It helps to finally be able to come to work knowing that there are nicer & approachable leaders. This was absolutely not the case when I was first hired 6 years ago.

Cons

1) False sense of security. After 3 months of starting work at this company, major layoffs took place. From there, layoff's were taking place every year and just about every quarter. I was lucky to have survived all layoff's until WSG was officially bought out by PVH Corp earlier this year.

2) NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE. This, of course, depends on which department you work in and what kind of supervisor you work under. In my personal experience, I had supervisor who was ironically approachable and "nice to your face", but showed absolutely no respect when it came to anyone's time (examples: had a horrible habit of interrupting you while your trying to get work done, would schedule "lunch" meetings, but always too cheap to provide lunch...and my "favorite", this person would start lengthy meetings when it was actually time for me to leave and catch my train). She did ultimately learn to stop with the late meetings (and that's because we had it out during an HR intervention plus I rubbed it in again when she gave me a bad employee review). Ultimately, this kind of supervisor played a huge role in regards to me hating my job during the time I had to work under him/her. If I had skills in "sucking up to the boss" like most corporate drones do, then this probably wouldn't have been a problem.

3) At one point, all of the upper management team members were are all brand new and completely clueless with process, product or basic etiquette (there was a director who saw no wrong in YELLING at the top of his/her lungs at his/her subordinates...and would do this in plain view or audible distance. It took years for HR to recognize this as an actual problem and finally fired this person).

In general, most managers were much too focused on finding ways to feed their own egos while feeding their subordinates with petty criticisms/down talking. After berating you for everything that you did wrong, most would turn around and preach the usual script, "...don't take it personal, it's business and you're doing a good job." Seriously, what kind of reverse-psychological-mind-game is this suppose to be?!

4) There is a very small number of coworkers are actually trustworthy and worth having friendships with. Do take this with a grain of salt as this is my personal opinion....however, I've had the pleasure to witness some really poor habits from most of the fellow, non-management staff who genuinely do not offer one another any real respect (i.e. will cut you off when you are still talking, do not clean up after themselves in common areas such as print stations, kitchen or restrooms.) Also, far too many people spend too much time with whining/complaining about things, yet, will not offer any creative solutions to fix the problem... or they will spend hours contributing to petty gossip than actually working.

(P.S. Jim Gerson has been the president of the swim division since around 2010, not Martha Olson)

Being that you guys are the prime examples of what a "team member"is suppose to be, I suppose if most of you could get that ego of yours in check, stop micro-managing and maybe learn how to be a decent human being that it might help boost morale and productivity amongst your team. After all, you are not in the business of making pacemakers nor are you in a line of work that saves lives. It just a swimsuit.

Great benefits, huge employee discount, friendly staff and executives.

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In general, it was a pretty laid-back atmosphere. Most people were friendly and most executives were approachable. Employees, for the most part, were treated like people. Occasional "thank yous" like ice cream parties would pop up.

Cons

There seemed to be a disconnect between different divisions and departments. This was especially evident in the IT world. Collaboration overall could be much stronger. Fairly high turnover, especially in the design areas, would put a strain on resources and morale.

Need to do more to keep talent, especially in the design areas as well as IT. This could be done by offering more competitive salaries and higher than insulting 2-4% annual raises.

Sales

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time

Pros

Typical corporate environment. Overall great place to work. Benefits and compensation were up to par with what was in the industry

Cons

Little room for career advancement. Overall travel was quite extensive.

Continues to be an invigorating challenging and educational organization with a welcoming corporate environment.

Current Employee - Production Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Warnaco Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great corporate environment, focussed on challenging your mind as well as your body. Excellent management group open to share and help mentor personnel. Upper management fosters open door policy.

Cons

The down town location is a challenge to get to and being in a high-rise with many other companies is a constant task for parking and vendor access. All the security that comes with being in alive studio facility limits free access to grounds. Lunch options are 15 min walk away.

Continue to keep personnel in the loop to foster a greater sense of team.

Traditional Corporate environment...

Former Employee - Wovens Designer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Wovens Designer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Traditional corporate environment with good salaries, benefits & profit sharing.

Cons

Once you hit the glass ceiling - that's it. I was hard pressed to find challenges in my role after a few years & there was a lot of re-structuring in design department on an on-going bases.

If there are no way to promote a designer, they should be allowed to switch categories to allow for new skill development & freshness in the product line (ie...knits designer & bottoms designer switch positions).

Lot's to Look Forward To

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Great people in the ranks.Met some great people who have become good friends.

Cons

Executive management and their HR cronies! What a joke! The CEO thinks she’s a role model and has no clue about what the rank and file really think. We've watched her push great people out and fill exec ranks with her cronies and others of little substance and no vision. The product and quality got weaker and weaker as process and margin became king so she could sell out.. Day-to-day business was crashing but new business (countries) and off price masked the realities

You got the last laugh and walked away with the big money but hopefully people will know the truth and you won't be able to repeat this performance. iUnder new leadership we WILL clean this up.

Legal intern

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

The discounts were great. They generally were 50% off.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Milford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Milford, CT (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment, good employee discounts and you will work with great people.

Cons

The position was in CT, 60 mile commute each way from NYC