Warnaco Group

Add Photos

Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey

Helen McCluskey

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam work, training, motivation,

ConsChange management, take over

I learned a lot and got some great opportunities

Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsVery poor leadership and management

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere

Accounting and Finance (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsAt Montreal office: really friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Workload fit into your day. No forced overtime. Great people. Too bad finance was transferred to corporate office and ultimately company bought by PVH. Wish I was still there.

ConsMy manager the last few years I was there was the biggest con. But at least I was not micro-managed so I didn't have to deal with him much. Yearly reviews were useless and counter-productive. Communication between managers could have been better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding but short

Retail Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsField locations are given independent decision making authority to satisfy customers. Corporate support is good and encourages questions from the field.

ConsCEO doesn't practice what she preaches, always looking out for number one while pretending to care for the little guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to the top when message is not resonating with the intended recipient. When in the field, interact with employees more to get candid feedback.

No winder it was bought out by PVH

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat brands, lots of potential

ConsBad management and work atmosphere. All different brands were so isolated from each other and there was no team spirit. All workers including management talked about each other, it made it hard to build relationships and trust your colleagues. There was no monthly reviews or meetings at all with the head of different sectors, my senior said to me before "sure no one knows what they are doing, its about figuring it" when I asked for guidance on a project. There was also nowhere to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate better. Build a better atmosphere so workers like coming into work. Stop talking about employees when others are in earshot. Organise regular meetings and assessments.

They are closed in our area now

Temp Picker (Former Employee) Duncansville, PA (US)

ProsThe days were predictable at first and the work was consistent and predictable. It was fast paced and kept you busy on your feet all day so the day went faster. I was a temp so most standard employee benefits did not apply to me. Job was pretty simple and straight forward and I was able to work first shift. My daughter's father was also a long time full time employee of the company (9 years plus).

ConsThere were stretches of weeks without a day off and working 9 hour shifts 7 days a week wears you out. The supervisors tended to sit on their butt's shooting the breeze all day but frowned upon anyone who would take more than a too tight amount of time to complete a task. My assignment was ended after I missed too many days for court hearings and then had to take a day for my daughter to be in the hospital. As a single parent that was horrible to have to chose if I go to work and then who cares for my child or do I lose my job and make sure she is ok. You went no where any how and were treated poorly as a temp and you couldn't sit down for even a second. In the final days that this branch was open they really even treated their long term employees horribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank goodness you are closed. Understand that single parents need one day off now and again. Don't end people's assignments over court days and real health emergencies. Understand that employees are human and not robots.

My experience at Warnaco was very satisfying and I would have stayed forever if the company wasn't sold.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a comfortable environment, the director of my department trusted me to do my job and but was always available if needed.

ConsThere were a lot of issues with the processing system we used. We were constantly on the phone trying to get the error corrected.

High turnover, terrible management, too many meetings

Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits and a decent discount on products.

ConsManagement not great within department - found managers to be quite unprofessional. Examples included doing things like participating in and encouraging petty and/or negative gossip, complete disorganization, and constant tardiness. Also, I think one manager had a psychiatric disorder; this person was insanely paranoid and borderline abusive and really contributed to a negative atmosphere. There was a high turnover of employees within this department, and I think the managers really contributed to that. Growth within the company not great. Also the constant town hall meetings, department meetings and various HR-organized gatherings (picnics, ice cream parties, karaoke parties, scavenger hunts, workshops, etc. etc) were quite tiring and time consuming, eating into the time that would have been well spent working on projects. Unfortunately, declining any of these meetings or events was very frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training would probably help with some of the issues. Psychiatric evaluations for managers not a bad idea either. Also, less meetings would probably help with people being able to meet deadlines.

it was a job that i got to go to every morning for the past 12 years.

Stock Associate (Former Employee) Huntingdon, PA (US)

Prosi got to learn some new work skills while i was at warnaco,got to know some really good hard working people at warnaco also.

Consthere was never any down size at warnaco,because we all got along,there was one down size at warnaco and that was when we all lost our jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management was pretty good, because they were aways there for the employees when they needed any help with any issues.

terrible working conditions

Picker (Former Employee) Duncansville, PA (US)

Prosit almost payed the bills

Conslow pay, lack of hours

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Worked for Warnaco Group? Contribute to the Community!