Warnaco Group

Add Photos

Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey

Helen McCluskey

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere

Accounting and Finance (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAt Montreal office: really friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Workload fit into your day. No forced overtime. Great people. Too bad finance was transferred to corporate office and ultimately company bought by PVH. Wish I was still there.

ConsMy manager the last few years I was there was the biggest con. But at least I was not micro-managed so I didn't have to deal with him much. Yearly reviews were useless and counter-productive. Communication between managers could have been better.

I learned a lot and got some great opportunities

Intern (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Warnaco Group part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsVery poor leadership and management

Rewarding but short

Retail Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Warnaco Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsField locations are given independent decision making authority to satisfy customers. Corporate support is good and encourages questions from the field.

ConsCEO doesn't practice what she preaches, always looking out for number one while pretending to care for the little guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to the top when message is not resonating with the intended recipient. When in the field, interact with employees more to get candid feedback.

No winder it was bought out by PVH

Toronto, ON

I have been working at Warnaco Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat brands, lots of potential

ConsBad management and work atmosphere. All different brands were so isolated from each other and there was no team spirit. All workers including management talked about each other, it made it hard to build relationships and trust your colleagues. There was no monthly reviews or meetings at all with the head of different sectors, my senior said to me before "sure no one knows what they are doing, its about figuring it" when I asked for guidance on a project. There was also nowhere to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate better. Build a better atmosphere so workers like coming into work. Stop talking about employees when others are in earshot. Organise regular meetings and assessments.

My experience at Warnaco was very satisfying and I would have stayed forever if the company wasn't sold.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was a comfortable environment, the director of my department trusted me to do my job and but was always available if needed.

ConsThere were a lot of issues with the processing system we used. We were constantly on the phone trying to get the error corrected.

High turnover, terrible management, too many meetings

Designer (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and a decent discount on products.

ConsManagement not great within department - found managers to be quite unprofessional. Examples included doing things like participating in and encouraging petty and/or negative gossip, complete disorganization, and constant tardiness. Also, I think one manager had a psychiatric disorder; this person was insanely paranoid and borderline abusive and really contributed to a negative atmosphere. There was a high turnover of employees within this department, and I think the managers really contributed to that. Growth within the company not great. Also the constant town hall meetings, department meetings and various HR-organized gatherings (picnics, ice cream parties, karaoke parties, scavenger hunts, workshops, etc. etc) were quite tiring and time consuming, eating into the time that would have been well spent working on projects. Unfortunately, declining any of these meetings or events was very frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training would probably help with some of the issues. Psychiatric evaluations for managers not a bad idea either. Also, less meetings would probably help with people being able to meet deadlines.

it was a job that i got to go to every morning for the past 12 years.

Stock Associate (Former Employee)
Huntingdon, PA (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time for more than 10 years

Prosi got to learn some new work skills while i was at warnaco,got to know some really good hard working people at warnaco also.

Consthere was never any down size at warnaco,because we all got along,there was one down size at warnaco and that was when we all lost our jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management was pretty good, because they were aways there for the employees when they needed any help with any issues.

terrible working conditions

Picker (Former Employee)
Duncansville, PA (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group as a contractor for less than a year

Prosit almost payed the bills

Conslow pay, lack of hours

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Great benefits, huge employee discount, friendly staff and executives.

Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn general, it was a pretty laid-back atmosphere. Most people were friendly and most executives were approachable. Employees, for the most part, were treated like people. Occasional "thank yous" like ice cream parties would pop up.

ConsThere seemed to be a disconnect between different divisions and departments. This was especially evident in the IT world. Collaboration overall could be much stronger. Fairly high turnover, especially in the design areas, would put a strain on resources and morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do more to keep talent, especially in the design areas as well as IT. This could be done by offering more competitive salaries and higher than insulting 2-4% annual raises.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time

ProsTypical corporate environment. Overall great place to work. Benefits and compensation were up to par with what was in the industry

ConsLittle room for career advancement. Overall travel was quite extensive.

Worked for Warnaco Group? Contribute to the Community!

Warnaco Group – Why Work for Us?

We are a company transformed, focused on global growth and brand building, while staying true to our core values. Over the last decade, PVH Corp. ("PVH") has made several acquisitions that have redefined the identity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Warnaco Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Warnaco Group CEO Helen McCluskey. All 33 reviews are posted anonymously by Warnaco Group employees.