Walmart

8,787 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,231 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 173 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 362 reviews)

More Highlights

Photo Lab Technician

Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Woodbridge, ON
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Woodbridge, ON

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Over all good learning experience,

Cons

Lack of training, hours aren't steady. Lack of management, understaff, one associate to a number of departments. It becomes hard to complete given tasks.

A fun place to work

Former Employee - Photo Specialist, Directs Receiving in Brampton, ON
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist, Directs Receiving in Brampton, ON

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you work hard, this can be a very rewarding place to work. There are always postions available to grow and advance... As long as you want too. There will always be a great group of people working at every store.

Cons

It's retail pay, and as a hourly worker you will be capped at $15/h. If your interested in staying with the company and earning more money, simply train for a management role and up your salary.
    It can be a very busy, stressful job depending on the time of year. It can also be slow, and your hours will be cut back to balance the loss in sales.

Make sure to always notice your valued workers. Some of them just need a little acknowledgement to keep striving and pushing forward.
    Don't let the "slack" workers get away with everything, while your valued ones sweat off everyone else's work.

Not a career, but decent for part time work

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

Easy, repetitive, discounts, mostly friendly people

Cons

Some managers are absolutely stupid and do not care for you at all.. Most are pretty decent people who are very personable.

good stepping stone to learn different skills

I worked at Walmart full-time

Pros

Believes in shifing people around to find the "best fit" for work abilities. Therefore, you can learn different skills such as using powered machines,using inventory tools, receiving, and possibly management if you stay, work hard, and show management abilities.

Cons

Very, very short of workers...expected to work hard and fast and cover other areas of work to make up for slackers. Too many layers of management with little communication between them. Minimal training: lots of brainwashing of how wonderful it is to work for Walmart.

So far I've been treated fairly and with respect.

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for professional growth. Benefits and bonuses are good.

Cons

Work/Life balance for store management is not ideal.

Good

Current Employee - Department Manager in Fort Saint John, BC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Fort Saint John, BC

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working independently, benefits, training, fast paced, promotional opportunities

Cons

Few employees more work, customer complaints,

very enriching experience on all areas of the store level retail management.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My first salaried job in Canada, Walk_Mart was compassionate, gave me good training and slowly but surely eased me into the world of retail.Got a good overview of how to manage a store .Good co workers, hardworking and cheerful. Also worked overnights. That was a totally different experience.

Cons

Long hours, but mostly due to my lack of planning.

It is an OK place to work but if your new its hard to fit in.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some nice associates , comfortable place to work and sometimes its fun.

Cons

A lot of people how already have their friends (groups) and when you are a new person you kind of feel like your not welcomed , long shifts , can get boring most of the times.. I guess if you work in electronics like I do.. and some of the associates you work with expect you to already know every thing even if your new. And also the cashier matrix thing is annoying and a waste of time just to get you cash code..

Take away cbls and train us physically or keep it for the people who want to be trained by a computer , also hired more young mature people.

Walmart Dartmouth Crossing

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Dartmouth, NS
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Dartmouth, NS

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone keeps to themselves mostly, but are still friendly and slightly talkative. Basically everyone has respect of privacy. As a student wanting a part time job, this place was awesome for me! The managers don't breathe down your neck, or make you feel uncomfortable if you do something wrong. But they do acknowledge when you do something good. You gotta think that must be hard with literally hundreds of employees.

Cons

You have to book your days off three weeks in advance. Understandable for a company with that many employees, but still, it sucks. When you get hired, they ask you if there is any significant plans in the next three months that they should know of (going on a week long vacation or something) so if you get hired, just try to remember to get the dates for any and all events in the coming months that you cant miss.

Overall good experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

okay pay, great co/workers, overall good experience. Walmart is a great company to have on your resume, because it is very well known.

Cons

Customers were not always that great. depending on where you work, you may also get very technical questions, that require you to know your area of expertise very well.