Walmart

8,783 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,231 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 173 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 362 reviews)

More Highlights

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunities

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting foot in the door is relatively easy and no discrimination. There are many oppurtunities in advancing a career in upper management or other positions and many locations worldwide.

Cons

Such as in retail goes, pay is average and work is very physical depending on positions. Holidays are spent working due to it's retail and customer service oriented. Consumers and economy is a driving force

Generally speaking, the changes in this company have somewhat made it difficult to want to reach higher goals due to increases are anually and do not offer merit type bonuses. This hurts moral in more ways than one. There are many employees working at hourly level and seems not all management are always on the same page.

Corporations are corporations, not people.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of great tools and techniques in a leadership role, and was rewarded with promotions for my performance - WM has some great people at the hourly level that are very versed in the retail environment... but they are about to become extinct.

Cons

As with any corporation, WM continuously tries to paint a human face on the business... they donate a large sum of money to organizations and local communities, but despite the massive amount of profit that the retail giant reports each year, they continue to shave expenses at the real expense of the hourly level workers... taking the small amount of tangible benefits that they offer, and cutting them - further contributing to the separation of social and economic class that the US has been experiencing since the late 50's and the demise of US manufacturing.

WM... you say "Save Money, Live Better." Why don't you show your hourly associates (you know, your people that make a difference) some courtesy and restore some of the many benefits you have so wrongly taken away - its time for the folks that make a difference to be paid a true living wage as you continue to jack prices up higher alongside your competitors.

Very great experience working as a cashier part of a team at this chain with a nice and friendly work environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reasons to work for this store was a friendly environment with great benefits and opportunities to grow as an employer.

Cons

The management is a bit terrible at times.

OPEN DOOR MEANS< THERE IS THE DOOR!

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co.workers , great customers

Cons

They promote only their buddy's, not the most qualified!

Return phone calls. take away your open door policy! If you use the open door you will be fired 9 people in 3 mo, by same Asst. Manager some fought for their jobs back and got them. Some is wrong in Simi. Bring back Sams Values!!!

Great Entry Level/Management Plays Favoritism

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your position and coverage you'll learn almost everything. Growth in the company is very political or how much butt you kiss.

Cons

Doing everything they ask you to do is draining. The management time management is unrealistic. Almost no management follow store policies.

Maybe pay attention to your associates more? Professionalism shouldn't have to be defined by the way some of us look.

It was humbling.

Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The "family" atmosphere. My coworkers were really fun to be around. There is definitely opportunity for promotion within the behemoth of a company is Walmart. Work smarter, not harder, and you should be promoted; that is, get an education and acquire valuable skills.

Cons

They treat employees like slaves/drones. There is a lot of menial labor. There is a lot of paternalism-being treated like a child by management. My supervisor literally followed people around and counted how long they were in the bathroom, stood at the time clock, and constantly micromanaged (so inefficient and demeaning).

If your associate is clearly intelligent do not be threatened. Promote him/her. Give him/her more autonomy.

do not work there

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

managers are never on the same page

Cons

managers never on the same page.

its a job

Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

do what you are told and you will be mainly ignored, which is good in its own way. its a job but not much more

Cons

you arent a person, you are a robot which needs to do their job. if any manager ends up paying you too much attention they get rid of you. totally expendable.

people are people. just because we arent paid much doesnt give you the right to treat up like slaves. that said, keep paying me and ill be there every morning

It's sad, really.

Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The experience is unparalled. You're given a VAST amount of responsibility even as a low-level supervisor that place you toe-to-toe with a store manager of another company. The relationships with coworkers is closer to being in a family than having a job.

Cons

The payscale is laughable at best. The politics between management is reminiscent of high school and is incredibly unprofessional. There is favoritism. The stores are understaffed and you will always be short-handed. Management doesn't care if you are short-staffed. The general leadership tactic they practice and openly TEACH new management and supervisors is fear based. "Do this or else". I love the company, I love my job, I even like a few of my superiors, but none of that changes the fact that this is the worst job I have ever had.

Give opportunity to someone other than your friends.

i can do the cashier, and i can do a good job at organizing.

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

i like to work here because i wanted to earn money for my family and me to buy things that's what i like.

Cons

bringing peoples food up for them to pay for it.

i can do lots of things like cleaning and helping people out.