Walmart

8,999 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,309 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unloader

Former Employee - Unloader in La Habra, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Unloader in La Habra, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working out. Hours are good sometimes

Cons

Pay is kinda low but not bad for skill and education required

Opportunities

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting foot in the door is relatively easy and no discrimination. There are many oppurtunities in advancing a career in upper management or other positions and many locations worldwide.

Cons

Such as in retail goes, pay is average and work is very physical depending on positions. Holidays are spent working due to it's retail and customer service oriented. Consumers and economy is a driving force

Generally speaking, the changes in this company have somewhat made it difficult to want to reach higher goals due to increases are anually and do not offer merit type bonuses. This hurts moral in more ways than one. There are many employees working at hourly level and seems not all management are always on the same page.

Corporations are corporations, not people.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of great tools and techniques in a leadership role, and was rewarded with promotions for my performance - WM has some great people at the hourly level that are very versed in the retail environment... but they are about to become extinct.

Cons

As with any corporation, WM continuously tries to paint a human face on the business... they donate a large sum of money to organizations and local communities, but despite the massive amount of profit that the retail giant reports each year, they continue to shave expenses at the real expense of the hourly level workers... taking the small amount of tangible benefits that they offer, and cutting them - further contributing to the separation of social and economic class that the US has been experiencing since the late 50's and the demise of US manufacturing.

WM... you say "Save Money, Live Better." Why don't you show your hourly associates (you know, your people that make a difference) some courtesy and restore some of the many benefits you have so wrongly taken away - its time for the folks that make a difference to be paid a true living wage as you continue to jack prices up higher alongside your competitors.

Very great experience working as a cashier part of a team at this chain with a nice and friendly work environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reasons to work for this store was a friendly environment with great benefits and opportunities to grow as an employer.

Cons

The management is a bit terrible at times.

OPEN DOOR MEANS< THERE IS THE DOOR!

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co.workers , great customers

Cons

They promote only their buddy's, not the most qualified!

Return phone calls. take away your open door policy! If you use the open door you will be fired 9 people in 3 mo, by same Asst. Manager some fought for their jobs back and got them. Some is wrong in Simi. Bring back Sams Values!!!

Great Entry Level/Management Plays Favoritism

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your position and coverage you'll learn almost everything. Growth in the company is very political or how much butt you kiss.

Cons

Doing everything they ask you to do is draining. The management time management is unrealistic. Almost no management follow store policies.

Maybe pay attention to your associates more? Professionalism shouldn't have to be defined by the way some of us look.

It was humbling.

Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The "family" atmosphere. My coworkers were really fun to be around. There is definitely opportunity for promotion within the behemoth of a company is Walmart. Work smarter, not harder, and you should be promoted; that is, get an education and acquire valuable skills.

Cons

They treat employees like slaves/drones. There is a lot of menial labor. There is a lot of paternalism-being treated like a child by management. My supervisor literally followed people around and counted how long they were in the bathroom, stood at the time clock, and constantly micromanaged (so inefficient and demeaning).

If your associate is clearly intelligent do not be threatened. Promote him/her. Give him/her more autonomy.

Working for Walmart is what you make of it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Walmart is a highly diversified workplace. The structure of the company is such that you will experience a wide variety of supervisors and managers. At this Walmart there were many opportunities offered to move around. There were lateral positions, upwardly mobile positions, and positions of lesser responsibility, all available to me as an employee. I enjoyed my experience there and stayed with this store for about 16 months. Requesting time off was never a problem as long as I provided ample notice. FYI... no time off in retail from Thanksgiving to New Years so I never asked during this period. The management pushed us hard but we always maxed our bonus. I really enjoyed that!

Cons

There were several challenges, but the biggest one is that it is impossible to earn a "living" wage working for Walmart as long as you remain an hourly employee. At least this is true if you live in Orange County, CA. I would have liked to move into a salaried position, it didn't happen, so I moved on to another company that would recognize my talents and abilities.

In a company as large as this, in a store as large as this, it is pretty difficult to stand out from the crowd. We had some awesome Assistant Managers that tried to promote the hourly employees. Listen to them, they want the store to succeed and they want their bonus too. They wouldn't advocate for someone if they didn't feel they were capable. Additionally, the Assistant Managers are the ones that work with the hourly employees so they do know a bit about them, their capabilities, and where they could best be used in this company.

do not work there

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

managers are never on the same page

Cons

managers never on the same page.

its a job

Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

do what you are told and you will be mainly ignored, which is good in its own way. its a job but not much more

Cons

you arent a person, you are a robot which needs to do their job. if any manager ends up paying you too much attention they get rid of you. totally expendable.

people are people. just because we arent paid much doesnt give you the right to treat up like slaves. that said, keep paying me and ill be there every morning