Walgreens Reviews

3,543 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,885 Ratings

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a nice added bonus, however it isn't like it used to be (in 222 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 91 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

Able to advance

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

I started with the company as a PT cashier and have been able to work all the way up to an ASM. I've had a strong support system with most of my store managers and mentors.

Cons

New restructures have limited the opportunities for new hires and even employees that have been with the company for various durations.

It wasn't too bad...at first.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Walgreens for more than a year

Certain coworkers
    "Employee discount"
    Nothing else
    Nothing else

Cons

Everything else.

It's a good job if you have no experience an would like to gain some or of you're in college. That's it. My advice: get your experience and get out while you can. This company is going downhill fast. Corporate changes rules almost every week, making it near impossible to keep up with things. You're hired as a part-time employee with the promise that you'll go full-time, but you never do.

If you have to make changes, make them feasible for someone in retail; many of the tasks and rules sound "good" on paper but cannot be applied to real life scenarios. Your employees are not robots and customers are numbers; stop treating them as such.

Implementation Analyst

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Great Corporate Culture. Great Pay and benefits.

Cons

Management tends to play favorites.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun and exciting experience.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Walgreens as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great staff. superior technology, excellent customer service, great benefits.

Cons

The pharmacy can really get busy. Without enough techs to even out the workload, it feels like you are running a 10k every day.

Invest in more pharmacy technicians to balance the workload and improve efficiency. Not only will the employees be less stressed, but the patients will reap the rewards as well. Fresh pharmacy staff reduces errors and improves customer service.

Made great money, but wouldn't recommend working there.

Former Employee - RXM  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - RXM in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The computer system was state-of-the-art, and the services provided were first of their kind when I started working there. Salary and bonuses were great also.

Cons

The upper management seemed disconnected with team staff in that store-level problems were sometimes ignored by supervisors. A general turn from patient-centered goals to numbers/dollars-centered goals left staff and customers feeling resentful.

Pharmacy providers should be consistent throughout a company, and their focus should be primarily on patient-care.

Not the same company I started for.

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Walgreens still offers excellent benefits. I've been with them over twelve years.

Cons

The company has changed for the worse in the last decade. Hours cut, benefits cut, wages capped, less leadership, less time to care for patients. When there was still a Walgreen's family member board, it seemed the company was customer service focused and took care of their employees. Now it's all about the numbers.

Put more hours for employees back in the stores. The way to get and keep customers is by great customer service which you can't give if you are in a constant rush from lack of help. It also brings down the morale of employees and store leadership when there is not enough help in the stores.

Great involvment from management

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  New Smyrna Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New Smyrna Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management cares about employees like family, good community involvement.

Cons

Pay could have been better

Adapt more to changes in the market, especially with what CVS is doing

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Augusta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Augusta, GA (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Growing globally, could possibly be a contender to improve the healthcare industry. Gives you insight on how to manage similar to a health care setting. Requires you to be a certified pharmacy tech so that you can fully understand and manage the business.

Cons

Company has been going through structural changes for about 3 years. Often asked not to give information to employees about changing job titles and compensation. Definition of quality work varies from district to district, which causes disengagement of store managers. Company had too many objectives to focus on at one time that it created a lot of confusion for store managers about where to focus attention to grow sales. Working towards efficiency could be difficult at times because of the disconnect between corporate and stores.

Hold everyone to the same standard. Different standards per region, per district, per store create disengaged managers. Deliver consistent, clearly defined goals. Re-defining the store structure and paying less, or changing the name of an assistant manager and calling them a shift lead is very discouraging for the people that work for the company no matter how "positively" we role out the changes of the company. Not knowing if the security of your position would be there brings on a lot of disengagement. You can have a performance based culture, make profits, and have a good work environment with out the demise of the employee morale.

Good Job

Former Employee - Store Team Lead  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Team Lead in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great hours, Easy physical work, benefits ok/better than not being offered any. Lots of opportunities to transfer to pretty much any major city in the US.

Cons

Pay is low, company restructure now makes it difficult to advance within the company. Store managers are spending more and more time away from the sales floor, many have little idea what is even going on within their own store

Really it is corporate that is destroying this company. Also holiday hours take away from family life. I don't see what was wrong with being open on the holidays until 6pm but staying open until 10 is unnecessary and takes away from the family time for your employees that your company promotes.

Decent if You Have Clear Goals In Mind

Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Des Moines, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Des Moines, WA (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most locations I worked at allowed for pretty flexible schedules. This is how I was able to complete my undergrad degree and begin my graduate school coursework. For the most part, the managers are pretty good at accomodating students. In my experience, there was a lot of store and department camaraderie (a lot of potlucks and birthday celebrations). If you have a clear career goal and use your time as a tech wisely, it's not the worst place to be. Lose sight, and it's damn near unbearable. See my cons section for tips. NOTE: There is absolutely nothing wrong with being satisfied with a career as a technician. Techs are the heart of the pharmacy. My advice is targeted for techs looking to advance to another position because it can be tough to transition.

Cons

Lack of personal and professional growth, "lean" strategy with staffing hours that often lead to overworked, disgruntled staff, and inconsistent wage increases. In the retail pharmacy world, there is no room for growth without going to pharmacy school. Use all the billing, regulatory, and supervision (for senior techs) experience to transition into hospital or managed care. Target your CE coursework to the industry you plan to transition into and cite this coursework on your resume! Build relationships with pharmacists at all levels (staff, manager, district and regional supervisors) for letters of recommendation if you do plan on pursuing pharmacy school.

Recognize and cultivate technician and assistant potential. There are so many bright people wanting to be given more opportunity & have a lot to contribute. Encourage and reward (however small the incentive) and remind the support staff that the are integral to the success of the organization. So often pharmacists are recognized (at my former location, "technician day" was never a real thing) and the techs and assistants are marginalized.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!