Walgreens

3,860 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,030 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Relatively enjoyable with friends, hard labor.

Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Crew Trainer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very entertaining if working with the right crew, learn how to become a leader of team and allocation of resources.

Cons

Little amount of rest comparing to the worked hours; usually overtime and sometimes really bad people managing.

Use the right people for the right station

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Corporate in Shambles, but field positions at Distribution warehouses on an uprise

Current Employee - Function Manager in Windsor, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Function Manager in Windsor, WI (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Windsor, WI distribution center has excellent leadership and although it used to be a broken team, has gotten rid of the old-school management team and is quickly moving in the right direction. If you are up for a challenge and/or willing to be part of a positive transformation, this is a great place to work!

Cons

Corporate supply chain and really corporate in general seems to be in a frenzy to correct problems made in the recent past. They have the right idea that something needs to be fixed, but it doesn't appear that there is any leadership in place who knows or is willing to do what it takes to right the ship. They are headed in the right direction, but unfortunately, it seems like it may take a while.

Employees at all levels of the organization except the top executive board level feel that the secrets and hush-hush attitude goes beyond basic confidentiality and is bordering unethical behavior. We understand that in order for all of us to succeed, the shareholders must remain happy, but that does not mean that you should sacrifice the loyal employees. Walgreens is becoming a less desirable place of employment due to the distrust that is building between upper management and the rest of the employees.
    Additionally, the LEAN approach is great in that it teaches us to learn from the people who do the job and let them make the procedural decisions. We understand that there are some strategic decisions that need to be made and we are not asking to be a large part of those decisions, but for basic decisions about how to execute the strategic changes, the employees at the ground level doing the job should have the freedom to help create those processes. It seems that upper management talks the talk when it comes to LEAN, but doesn't allow the employees to walk the walk...

Ok as a second job but can't pay your mortgage

Current Employee - Photo Specialist/Pharmacy Technician in Pelham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist/Pharmacy Technician in Pelham, AL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible hours to work around school, benefits

Cons

starting wage is minimum wage, even if it isn't your first job

start above minimum wage

Waste of a decade.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay, no employee loyalty, not what it used to be.

Not a great long term career

Great people, great work, great company.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team and district managers

Cons

Pay could be better but that's retail reality these days.

Owned by Shareholders

Current Employee - Store Manager in Olathe, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Olathe, KS (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, PTO, dental insurance. Bonus (before it's gone) RX technology is still probably the best.

Cons

Work/Life Balance, DM's can be rude, although supposed to promote and interview every all qualified applicants, some still get overlooked. Registers crash daily.

Don't cut all long-term employees just to save a buck or two.

fun but hard place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always something to keep you busy, lots to learn and do. Helping customers most of the time is fun and enjoyable. If you have drive and motivation you can advance with the company.

Cons

It is retail, we are never closed. Holidays we were only open from 9 to 6, now they want us to be open regular store hours. You may miss most family event especially around the holidays. You are expected to push every service provided to every customer. From the time a customer walks in the store, you must say Welcome to Walgreens, can I help you find something, and end with Thank You and Be Well. This is a must for every team member to say no matter where you are in the store. So a customer may here it 5 or 6 times in one visit. That is what is expected, plus ask want to buy some candy, get a flu shot, do you use the pharmacy, no can I walk you back to meet the staff. would you like your medication flavored, would you like to join our Balance reward program, would you like to join our PSC program, would you like to buy our Balance financial pre paid credit card, would you like your BP checked, cholesterol checked, shingles shot, meningitis shot, Medicare Part D review, express pay. Then supervision wants to know if each team member knows the stores delight score, My Voice My Walgreens engagement survey results and what you are going to do to improve net years score. Pay and Bonuses are getting lower and lower while Corporates continue to rise. with increases in insurance premiums, the .10 raises can not keep up. we make less and less every year. Walgreens did care about it's team members but not any longer. They want to flush the long time employees out because we make more than the new pay scale. Some employees have not received raises in years because they say they are maxed out for the position. Get rid of use so they can hire cheaper employees and work them harder.

stop micro managing every aspect of the job. It is a full time job keeping the store looking nice and taking care of customers. With much lower budgets than in the past it is hard to get all of the work done and keep customers happy.

Good for the most part

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a nice place work....very good managers and shift lead. You can easily go up the ladder if you want to. Communication is their key thing

Cons

The pay is semi too little. Their medical insurance is not that good and they charge alot of money for it.

Better pay would be lovely

It could have been the company I retired from...

Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier in Willoughby, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier in Willoughby, OH (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started there, the potential for advancement seemed limitless. I always had the time during work to do any required training, and management was very supportive and respectful of employees, as a general rule.

Cons

During my last year, the company changed. It became harder and harder to find time for required training, and we were all required to do more work on the floor than what some may consider reasonable. They also started up with a sort of "gotcha" policy, where if you made a small error, like leaving an item in the wrong dept., they would take a picture, counsel you on it, and put it in your employee file.

Stop picking at petty annoyances and look at the big picture: if you don't, your employee retention rate is going to go way down.