Walgreens Reviews

3,662 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,942 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 227 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

It wasn't too bad...at first.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Walgreens (more than an year)

Certain coworkers
    "Employee discount"
    Nothing else
    Nothing else

Cons

Everything else.

It's a good job if you have no experience an would like to gain some or of you're in college. That's it. My advice: get your experience and get out while you can. This company is going downhill fast. Corporate changes rules almost every week, making it near impossible to keep up with things. You're hired as a part-time employee with the promise that you'll go full-time, but you never do.

If you have to make changes, make them feasible for someone in retail; many of the tasks and rules sound "good" on paper but cannot be applied to real life scenarios. Your employees are not robots and customers are numbers; stop treating them as such.

So far so good!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management! The employees take pride in their work.

Cons

The base pay is low. There is plenty room for advancement though.

Good

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good hours decent pay overall

Cons

Bad customer bad attitude and not friendly

Unless you are looking to make it your career, Walgreens is only for young people to get job experience.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Villa Rica, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Villa Rica, GA (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with Walgreens for 2 years and the best part of my experience has been the people. Maybe that is just a regional thing, but I love the people I work with. Some good things are the opportunity for upward mobility. Although the process is slow, you have the chance if you work for it. I started in front, moved to Cosmetics, work in Photo often, and I am now registered to train in the pharmacy. Another plus is scheduling flexibility since I am a college student. Also, the benefits are nice.

Cons

The company recently merged with British company Alliance Boots which brought about a lot of changes. In an effort to keep the profits on track toward their goal of $130 BILLION by 2016, 76 stores were closed across the country. Hundreds of people were DISPLACED, DEMOTED, or LEFT the company. They changed the structure if their management, so some people who used to be considered managers were CUT their titles and nearly 30% of their pay. Although I am happy to have gained experience in every department, my PAY HAS STAYED THE SAME. They will diversify their employees so they can get more done without affecting payroll. RAISES are MINUSCULE and not based on a sliding scale of performance. There have so many CHANGES in the company over the past 2 years that employees can't keep up, let alone the customers.

Bring the goals and expectations down to a realistic level. Take care of your workers because they take care of you. Listen when people have input on new policies and procedures.

Used to be better

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security. It usually takes a lot to get fired from Walgreens (unless you no-call/no-show), I have worked with people who did the bare minimum for years and they rarely got in trouble. Another pro is that the jobs themselves (ex. photo technician, cashier) are not hard. All you have to do is stay on task and keep working, not much to it. In order to get around hiring more people, many employees are cross-trained (ex. start as cashier, train also as photo tech, inventory system). Now it is an O.K. job for high school or part-time college students, and not much else.

Cons

This company has undergone a lot of change in the last few years, which benefited the bottom line and not much else. They lowered the pay for assistant managers (and also changed their title), so that position is barely worth the pay for the responsibility. It used to be you could make a career at Walgreens if you were dedicated and stayed for awhile, no longer. It's really competitive to get a promotion (favoritism may apply), and the pay is not good for the responsibility. Also, it takes a lot to get fired from Walgreens, so there is always at least one employee at every store who gets away with doing almost nothing. Lastly, the holidays, it can be miserable to work them. Be prepared to work at least two out of three of the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas day (also eve), and New Years eve.

Raise the pay for Shift Leads. It is outrageous that you changed the title from "Assistant Manager" to "Shift Lead", keeping the same responsibilities, and dropping the pay a few dollars an hour.

Not the same company I started for.

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Walgreens still offers excellent benefits. I've been with them over twelve years.

Cons

The company has changed for the worse in the last decade. Hours cut, benefits cut, wages capped, less leadership, less time to care for patients. When there was still a Walgreen's family member board, it seemed the company was customer service focused and took care of their employees. Now it's all about the numbers.

Put more hours for employees back in the stores. The way to get and keep customers is by great customer service which you can't give if you are in a constant rush from lack of help. It also brings down the morale of employees and store leadership when there is not enough help in the stores.

Its turning into Walmart

Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about everything that goes on in the company.

Cons

Hours keep getting cut, and you are forced to do even more with virtually no resources. People are actively discouraged from taking sick days and vacation time because there are not enough hours to cover anybody's vacancy. If you are sick, no one can cover your shift because everyone is already working the max amount of hours allotted.

Loosen your belt. Stop treating your managers a dollar sign, and treat them as people. The customers are not the ONLY people who have rights.

OK but can be better

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good work for life balance
    Engaging manageme
    A growing fast paced company, fast pace

Cons

Lousy benefits for it employees
    Top heavy management. Too many project managers. Relying on consultants too much. A lot of good people jumping ship. CEO and leadership completely disconnected.

Trim management. Consider reducing reliance on consulting

The world of Wal-GREED

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It beats manual labor or being a prostitute I guess. But you make better money as a prostitute

Cons

I work in the pharmacy and the customers all treat you like garbage. If you're ok with being degraded all day then I guess this is a good choice for you.... currently seeking a career change.

Hire some managers that aren't complete and total dipshits and that aren't just corporate puppets. I'm sure that's too much to ask.

Great company, but every store is different though

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Northport, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Northport, AL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

company values, time-off policies, corporate response time,conflict resolution, ability to transfer

Cons

promotions, some managers not well trained in communication,

Get training on how to deal with a diverse community