WalMart Canada

Updated 15 December, 2014
2.7

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 25 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 15 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

ok

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sault Ste. Marie, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

different rules for everybody,always short staffed, low pay

more follow through on disipline

Interesting workplace

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Fast pace.always busy fair pay.good benefits.never a boring day since ive been there.employee discount was a nice bonus.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.focused too much on women in workplace program hard for someone to get ahead who deserved it.

Everyone needs to uphold good standards.

customer service associate

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

people are very friendly here. Everyone can have 3 breaks if work for 8 hours. It's a very good entry level job.

Cons

Salary is not good. I hate some of the schedules like work at 7am or be off at 11 pm.

Changed in focus

Former Employee - Management Associate in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Management Associate in Mississauga, ON

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work that will be rewarding but leaves little time for time outside your work
    You will have lots of opportunities to work in cross functional team that will result in lots of exposure

Cons

Don't promoted from within like they did at one time and almost need a MBA to be considered for employment
    No work life balance and long work hour are the norm for most departments

Great place to start your career direct out of university for a couple of years
    Long term value is not something you will receive from this company

Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good programs to be recognized for a job well done. Programs to help you achieve your career goals. If you have aspirations, there are managers and mentors who want to see you succeed.

Cons

Retail schedule involves many evenings and weekends but this is true no matter what retailer you work for.

Always remain approachable to your associates. Make each one feel important and that their opinions are valued.

Management kisses butt.

Current Employee - CSM in Regina, SK
    Current Employee - CSM in Regina, SK

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liked the people I worked with
    Enjoyed the CBLS
    Loved being able to help people.

Cons

Management treats the staff like crap and they don't care about how you feel as long as they get their bonuses. They push the mastercard like crazy and it make it out to be the CSM's fault when the store isn't getting them. Frankly, if the cashier isn't asking and we've told them to ask, there's nothing more we can do. If they don't want to ask, they aren't going to ask. The management needs to try getting on tills and selling it and then maybe then they'll learn how difficult our jobs are.

Learn to treat your staff properly and maybe you'll keep people.

Management job seekers: if you want to excel, keep looking: these are not the droids you're looking for

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Regina, SK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Regina, SK

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

family atmosphere with associates, can have a lot of fun getting things done with a good team. Bonus package for salaried management makes up for below average benefits coverage. Good company for entry level management company - start here and then move on.

Cons

rapid growth of grocery is overwhelming the stores - only grocery will get worked and everything else sits in the back awaiting the lowly assistant manger to bang out 10 or 20 skids a day. Get it done and your reward will be 25 or 30 skids the next day. No real reward for excelling at the job - the only happy mangers left are the ones who do just enough to slide by. Pay and benefits have slipped below retail average - almost anywhere offers a better package. Walmart Canada has hunkered down and has gone all in on grocery so no matter what role you hold be prepared to get a crappy evaluation because the meat department is throwing out too much expired, or the bakery can't get it's temp checks done - you know, all the things a garden center manager should be watching out for.

make the management evaluations more tailored to the actual role held. Reintroduce the upward evaluation for every manager. Your management teams are disengaged and until you fix that, no window dressing will fix it. Start holding actual listening sessions with your field managers and don't allow store or district mangers to screen the topics. You have a broken a once great company and what you are doing now is making it worse. Field management doesn't feel you are on the same team anymore. Stop managing only by KPI scorecards, the stores are learning to fake the data just to stay off your radar. Make more surprise visits, and spend time with the Assistant Managers and Department Managers. You track and manage by scorecards so I suggest you add one that tracks the amount of time the store manager spends logged into a computer: my guess is that you will find that the ones that spend 80% or 90% of their time at a computer screen are failing the other KPI's. Make the customer evaluations of a store more detailed and important - they are your earliest and best indicator and you are ignoring them. Senior Management: lots of other discounters and mass merchants are outdoing Walmart in Canada, so you should probably dust off your LinkedIn profiles - District and Regional Offices are long overdue some bloodletting. Don't think that you are safe, you should start planning your escape now. The new Walmart in Canada is lean and mean.

We are not machines

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Company values are great too bad they're not observed. Associates are treated like slaves. There is no consideration for the needs of the individual there's no respect for the individual. There are availability sheets that you can fill out and submit but they don't treat it like availability if they disagree with it. I'm part time on the disability and when I told him that I'm physically unable to work certain shifts they want me to get a letter from my doctor. I got letters from my doctor that's how I got on disability.

If you're going to follow Walmart policies you can't make them up as you go along

Don't change who you are

Current Employee - Management in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Management in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement if you are prepared to make sacrifices

Cons

You have to drink the kool aid to move ahead. Corporate culture is in constant clash with excessive internal politics.

Corporate values are great on paper though not enforced properly

Be yourself

Not bad but better places to work

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

I enjoyed the co-workers. You would be surprised at the education level and experience of some co-workers seeking part-time jobs to pay for continuing education/upgrading/Canadian qualifications. One of my co-workers had an MBA from Belgium and spoke french fluently (not a Canadian-recognized qualification though). Most of them were hard workers and quite polite; no rudeness or attitude from most of them. A few of the managers were very likable and approachable. The cashiers were very friendly and worked hard.

Cons

More than a few managers were not very likable. One of the managers actually told one of my coworkers that if he didn't like the hours he could leave to work somewhere else. Brief background: He had a kid and only got like 2 and half shifts that week. Don't expect raises. If you are older and have some prior experience, you can earn maybe 11/hour. Crappy store-set up that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, bit tacky. Crappy security, lots of toys and electronics took a walk in the 1 year I worked there. 80 dollar phone cases just sitting on the peg with no security on them at all... Customers can be quite Irate and rude for no apparent reason.

Better scheduling: more flexible and suited to feedback from employees. Better security. Implement a zero tolerance policy towards rude and profane language/behavior in the store, associates work hard and actually try to help people.

WalMart Canada Photos