WalMart Canada

Updated 23 January, 2015
2.6

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 25 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 15 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Chaotic, vengeful company

Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

10 percent discount & do so and stock purchase contribution.

Cons

Every where. Just literate store management. Over 90 percent store manager and assistant managers are high school pass or less. Even subject matter specialists eg. Human resources manager have no related credentials or post secondary education. Extreme favoritism, unfair, subjective hiring and promoting practices. Full of bias and unmotivating work environment.

Hire qualified managers and adopt objective hiring and promoting process. Save the company from mediocre performance.

Not a bad place to work if you only need part-time work

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Very friendly and almost family like atmosphere among employees at my old store
    2. The 10% discount was a nice little perk
    3. Expectations weren't sky high, as long as you showed up to work and did what was asked of you
    4. You will get the opportunity to work all across the store in a wide variety of departments. For someone like myself who could get bored of doing the same thing over and over again, I didn't mind this.

Cons

1. Even within the same store, one Assistant Manager would have vastly different expectations compared to another
    2. Good luck getting more than 12 hours a week during non-peak times, and good luck trying to get much in terms of flexibility with when you get those 12 hours. If you are a full time student and need more flexibility when it comes to your hours, this isn't the job for you (though this could vary by store to store)
    3. You may end up covering up to 4 or 5 departments at once within the store due to there not being enough hours budgeted at your store.

I would say the biggest thing I would suggest, specifically to upper management, would be to ensure that you have the necessary coverage around the store at all times. The other cons I mentioned may be different at each individual store, but floor coverage is something I am sure is a universal issue.

Happy work in this gaint cooperation

Current Employee - Optician in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Optician in Toronto, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Multi culture, good benefits and flexible

Cons

Right people easy get promotion

Create good relationship, work as a team.

great experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Milton, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier in Milton, ON

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

provide good working friendly environment, can work in different departments providing great experience

Cons

growth is slow, not hiring full time

Great company, that is perhaps moving too fast and is losing it's company culture base

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good rewards for leaders and willingness to work hard. Good promotion propects if willing to go extra mile

Cons

Promotion propects are dependent on leadership within store.The higher you get the less work life balance exists.Very irregular hours with demanding work loads.

Don't be blinded by limited opions, ask other peers and associate prior to promoting associates. Get a true picture of what is happening. Hold more out of store focus meeting to hear unbais opions.

Meh

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, not terribly demanding work

Cons

Customers can be horrible and management can leave some important things to the last minute, which is obviously very annoying.

Keep away from Walmart Canada on 130 Ave Calgary - extremely high level of racism

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I wish I could find one!

Cons

Very racist management, Does not even care for employees to get breaks at proper time. High level of mismanagement. Pays least of all stores in the area. CS Managers are outright rude and inconsiderate. No potential for growth, only donkey work. Run as fast as you can away from this place.

Train your managers to take care of their team, specially on 130 Ave Calgary location. Managers also are in dire need of training to be anti-racist and promote multicultural diversity.

Good place for a first job

Current Employee - Customer Services Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Services Specialist

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

Training is sporadic and job related training is not always readily available, sales floor associates are stretched thin, at times very stressful.

A great freelance learning experience was very rewarding at the end. It provided me with a lot of portfilio pieces

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Mississauga, ON

I worked at WalMart Canada as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were working at home, at your own time, own computer and flexable timeline. Very little pressure since it's something that your enjoy doing.

Cons

There's really no cons in freelancing and working at home. If I were to say, I'll probably say no face to face contact. Working with each buyer was all emailed based, receiving and delivering final files.

Poor management equals unhappy customers

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Good hours but not enough flexibility. Friendly work environment.

Cons

I've worked at two walmarts in the past year. The first I quit due to school and the second I took the job because I need money for school. Let me tell you that based on my experiences, they're all the same. Disorganized stores, poor management, and little things that all make a day on the job at walmart bad. Cashiers are expected to do all the work and right everyone else's mistakes. CSMs are mostly bitter and rude. Customers become unhappy easily.

Stop expecting so much from your employees. Cashiers can't sell mastercards when there's a mile long line up.

WalMart Canada Photos