WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated 13 October, 2014
Updated 13 October, 2014
2.8

Gavin Isaacs

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with, exciting times to be in the gaming industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development (in 5 reviews)

• Now the Scientific Games is advertising Network Engineer positions using a different name WMS Gaming inc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting, but odd culture

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Was given plenty of room to explore new ideas

Cons

Fear seems to be imposed from the top down resulting in work being done for the sake of it

Two-time employee...probably won't be three....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to be in...if you're used to normal, boring IT/engineering work, being somewhere with art, music, games, etc., is a welcome change of pace. Company embraced its long history as Williams Corp., who made the pinball machines and video arcade games for generations of youth.

Cons

Chicago location can be difficult to get to (no easy access from Metra or CTA trains). Company is going through two consecutive buyouts/mergers, and the corporate environment is changing DRAMATICALLY. NO clear picture as to upper management vision, and the old Brian Gamache ways of treating each individual like a valuable commodity are fading away, day by day. When I was laid off, my immediate boss did not know, and I went from my director saying "hey, can I talk to you for a minute?" to being escorted out in less than 10 minutes, with no opportunity to retrieve personal effects or say goodbye to people I'd spent years working with.

Remember who Williams/WMS used to be. Treat people like family, not like budget items.

Jackpot Party

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An easy life but the business closed

Cons

Jackpot Party was closed down after the sale of WMS to SciGames so not much point in going through the negatives

Sad End to An Awesome Company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Facilities: Gorgeous new Chicago campus - digital displays in every conference room, TV-worthy basketball/volleyball court, 2 gyms, yoga, EFT sports training, an above-average cafeteria, free soda, pool tables.

Product: One of the most fun products to work on. It's great to be able to see the work you've done in the hands of the player.

People: Some of the best you'll ever work with. Will go to heII and back to produce an awesome piece of SW with focus on player experience.

Parking: Ample, free parking. Beware of angry, dive-bombing birds in the Spring.

Cons

Structure: Obscenely top-heavy. 1:2 ratio of VP/Directors to developers.

Culture: Once great - rivaling Google - culture has turned into an "every man/department for himself" fiasco. Finger pointing, non/miscommunication is rampant, and morale is at an all-time low.

Management: Runs on the "Good Ol' Boy" system. A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development... Enough said.

Benefits: After the aquisition by Scientific Games, benefits have been slashed. Medical and dental, along with 401k matching, are on par with Walmart.

Dear Scientific Games Execs,

You know nothing about casino gaming, and you're killing the golden goose. Good luck.

Used to be one of the best...now not so much!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance was exceptionally tailored to the employee in most cases. It was usually up to the individual's manager but typically the company was very family friendly.

Cons

Where to start-
    Since the merger this company has gone straight down the tubes. NO Morale among employees, everyone is waiting for the day they walk in to be fired. There is little to NO communication anymore as to what is being done since the merger, which gives all the more reason for employees to feel uneasy and confused. In my opinion this low morale has traveled its way up to managers. Great managers have turned into barely adequate co-workers. There used to be a "team" feeling around the office and now it is every man for himself- how do I prove I am worth saving- how can I show my worth?!

Not to mention- this company has turned into an all men's club.So Ladies, if you are looking into this company, SGI, or Bally's...DONT! You will get hired at a lesser title and for lesser pay!

HR is complete joke at this company. It is not run by rules or standards but more or less who you are friends with and you have angered in the past. Some of the top HR personnel got the job merely because of their last name and who they are married to in the company.
    Training and advancement for employees is lacking significantly since the merger. The entire training department was dissolved as of a year ago. There were no "GOALS" set for any of the departments until a month ago, which is already more than half way through the year.
    Benefits used to be one of the greatest around. Not anymore, not even close. When have you heard of a company that charges you for insurance based on your pay grade/band level!!!

Plain and simple, since Brian Gamache left the culture of "Employees come first" is long gone. It is a company about bottom dollar, how to make the most buck with the cheapest most complacent employees.

Stick up for your employees, fight for them. Dont try and save every penny in your budget so that you get a bigger bonus at the end of the year. Give your staff the titles and raises they deserve when you fire the rest of your team and make them do 5x the normal workload.
    Most importantly- every Joe and Bob that works there doesnt need to have a "VP" in front of their title. I have never seen a more top heavy company in all of my career!

Once a great place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time

Pros

This company had a great culture but it is being sucked away slowly by Scientific Games, the company that bought them out.

Cons

Management is totally disconnected. Lack of communication. Most of the people on the SG side are uninspiring. They love having meetings but there's really no improvement.

Let the professionals make decisions instead of stagnating everything by having a meeting about it. Stop taking away benefits, it's why WMS was successful and profitable.

Great people, good experience, uncertain future.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Didn't get treated like an intern; I was working as a contributing member of the team. Got some great refactoring experience and brushed up on my Linux toolset knowledge. Team members were very helpful, and there's a thriving wiki for code documentation and inter-team communication.

Cons

Lots of inertia on the technology front, particularly with respect to version control. Long-term demographic trends don't really favor slot machine makers. Pending acquisition of Bally may or may not help, but that's something that will take a few years to really play out.

Push newer technologies more aggressively.

Pretty company with terrible management and qualification issues!

Current Employee - Gaming Designer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Gaming Designer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful facility! WMS went all high tech and efficient cosmetic to build the newest 'green' building, featuring windows with solar system installation. Indoors, great screens with video games and derivatives available; playing area with pool-tables and a cybernetic basketball space, gym and free soda. Awesome parking lot amenities, and a beautiful terrace on the fifth floor overlooking the city. Fun and dedicated middle-men looking to make history whenever their managers die.

Cons

Well, it may really be the nice facility the only thing that have employees satisfied nowadays, since free soda is considered unhealthy for a green company and people can get in trouble for smoking. Since the merge with Scientific Games, WMS' benefits went down the drain. The company's culture that was once smart and effective decayed to the point of amateurs in control, products of micro-management. Schmucks without even a college degree (minimum) hold high hierarchy in Game Development and Engineering and lead without any other experience in the industry other than being artists at WMS for 20 years. Once in a while they even put their flip-flops to rest and wear suits to work.

Hire highly competent, decision-maker, solid people with academic and professional experience to take over management! Make a change that send over-paid underachievers out of the door. The reputation that certain people in charge are only there because of "WHOM" they know, runs opened inside the company, and it is not a rumor. These guys not only give the company a bad name, but also show the environment as inefficient because they impact the grow and flow of the company, corrupt their team with lies and take credibility for the hard work, so they can look average among their peers. Although, this is no longer Brian Gamache's legacy, the WMS still has lots of potential in pretty graphics and story telling. Jokers are destroying operations because they don't know how to manage distribution and think that only their tail is important: instead of understanding logistics and relationship management which are important assets for a company's strategy, WMS is losing talented personnel and quality services along with time and money. Departments are fighting among each other because leaders lack common-sense! My boss already told me not to take on any work from another manager if it does not come from him personally (he does not even know what I do.) The dude is so lost, it is not even funny! Company will be in the whole if this keep happening, numbers are already down.

Some pluses, some minuses

Current Employee - Network Gaming Engineer in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Network Gaming Engineer in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Good people to work with. Do a really good job of training and providing work life balance.

Cons

Departments that should work together often don't. Large scale projects often don't take in consideration from all necessary parties

none

Good Work culture

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is like no comparison so good.
    For freshers good place to work

Cons

I did not found anything.

WMS Gaming Photos