W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated 22 September, 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing (in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Grainger is a great company to start your sales career

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really solid company, with great benefits and company culture. Grainger does an excellent job of supporting their employees. Everyone is nice and friendly and easy going. There is tons of training and a high focus on career-pathing and development.

Cons

Base salary is really low and there are no salary increase. the longer you are in role the harder it is to make goes as they go up every year. If you do well, you will be punished the next year by having a higher sales goal, which makes it very difficult to grow your income year over year.

The job also requires a TON of work outside of work hours if you plan on coming close to meeting goals.

Pay the sales team TSR a competitive base salary, that way when sales goal increase year over year, they can afford to stay with the company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive, Dynamic, Aggressive, Strong, Innovative

Cons

Distributor, Pricing Structure, Commodity, Competition

Good

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Fair Hours for the job

Cons

Poor Training/ I had no manager

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical large company politics, but a company working to constantly improve itself

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, resources, many opportunities for career growth including branching into other departments

Cons

COmpensation structure for sales, employee development from management

The pay is above average for the industry

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The job security was great, we did not lay anyone off during the '07-'09 economy crisis. Profit sharing is amazing too.

Cons

There is not a lot of places to move up unless you want to move to Chicago and work in the corporate offices.

Great Company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Great Team, easy to get along with management

Cons

Being understaffed could use extra people

More raises

Great Company

Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor
    Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a member of the leadership team you are given the control to over your area. The retirement that is offered is really good.

Cons

The pay sometimes did not match what was required.

Include all levels of leadership more often.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - CAM
    Current Employee - CAM

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great, work-life balence, no micro-managing, amazing retirement package

Cons

Slow to advance, not nimble

Watch pricing become more nimble

READ THIS! - WORK FOR BASE - NO COMMISSIONS! HIGH TURNOVER

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthy financially in the stock market. Largest MRO company in the industry. Good benefits.

Cons

READERS BEWARE! I have read some of these reviews with high marks and I can tell you that this is not the case. Perhaps these are reviews from the entry level sales representatives who make very low salaries but are easily excited about getting an iPhone, a laptop and a company vehicle. Give them 12 months and they realize they are tired of being on a Top Ramen budget. There is an EXTREMELY high turnover rate. The common conversation amongst the ranks revolves around interviewing elsewhere or who is hiring. Sales goals are unrealistic and continue to increase every 6 months by double digits and we are not talking in the teens but much higher. Average tenure of a sales manager is 12 - 18 months. Commissions are little to none. A high pressure approach is used to push you to try to make these unrealistic numbers but you wont and with it you make no commission. To top it off, like some reviews have mentioned on this site, Grainger has an online company who sells MUCH CHEAPER than what your allowed to or forces you to discount and once again your business goes to this online store or your commission is blown! There are just too many ways you as a sales person will be blocked from being successful here. Senior Management doesn't want to hear these challenges and are only interested on how you will achieve the impossible and how Wall Street and their stakeholders relish in the profits.

This company was a great company to work for. I have heard this from departing employees who spent years working here. But the company no longer does the right thing when it comes to paying commissions or setting goals for people. All we ask is that you do the right thing and make us proud of working here again and proud to refer someone to work here. At this time the message from you is that of not caring to hear our challenges and fixing a broken and unfair system.

Ask about employee retention before you start

Former Employee - Product Management Specialist  in  Lake Forest, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Product Management Specialist in Lake Forest, IL (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice work environment, great on-site health club and cafeteria, excellent resources, high-growth industry -- making hay off of global warming.

Cons

You either fit the Grainger corporate culture or you don't...and a significant number (25%?) of employees wash out here in the first year and a half. That's why reviews are so great - those are the survivors.

Grainger has the most intense political environment of any company I've ever seen. Everything is gamesmanship - who you know, who you can know, who you don't know. Some managers attend 12 meetings a day, because meetings *are* management jobs. Doesn't really matter what you get done because everything will change as soon as positional musical chairs begins. People move jobs a LOT at Grainger - often after they've only been in a job for 9 months.

I don't know how to advise management. Clearly management has built what they want. Potential employees: they aren't going to change for you, so take a long, hard look before you go there.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!