W.W. Grainger

Updated 24 November, 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • The profit sharing is very generous and it is a good reason to stay with the company (in 134 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 21 reviews)

• The flat out lies people tell you especially upper management is so bad people do not believe anything (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

"The Best Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My 8 years at this Fortune 500 Company included a journey of personal & professional growth in a culture of team-work I have not experienced since then. It was a real work family and I had a very positive work experience overall working alongside some of the hardest working people I have ever met. Benefits were excellent and I had the privilege to work under managers who supported work-life balance. Teamwork and professional development were constantly promoted by the leadership at Grainger as it was clearly demonstrated in the morale of all departments working together. It was a memorable experience and I would highly recommend this company if you have a strong work ethic and you are a team player.

Cons

Advancement opportunities may be limited unless you are willing to relocate to another region.

No advice just encouragement to continue the teamwork culture between the office and warehouse that exist to get it done. Continual communication between operations and sales is also key. End Result will always be Excellent Customer Service.

Awesome place to work. Loved every second.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

The work-life balance was great. They really care about you as an individual.

Cons

There was not really any.

My experience at Grainger is very satisfying.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger part-time

Pros

Good pay
    Fair Treatment
    Leader in MRO industry

Cons

Location is in the middle of the city. Downtown Houston has bad traffic and bad neighborhoods. Nothing bad about the company itself.

Keep up the good work

Significant marketing Growth across a broad platform of marketing and media channels

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

A strong, differentiated Value Proposition to take to market, along with great brand recognition. Able to target multiple market segments with a host of services and products.

Cons

Still somewhat silo'd and conservative even though they want to be more aggressive.

Great learning at a top notch distribution/retail company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Community feel, brand name in the supply chain world, consistent growth
    Great profit sharing history

Cons

Somewhat functional in terms of employee succession planning (hard to cross over)

Focus on talent development

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing was great until it started being funded at the expense of sales commissions. Lots of smoke and mirrors to report a 20% PST... The real question becomes.,., 20% of what? It's mediocre if you're sales comp is off. Shameful.

Cons

Complete evaporation of the empowered culture that used to breed success and fulfillment. Grainger has become the worst version of 'Office Space'... Great sellers are not valued nor utilized. You spend half of your time proving what you are doing the other half of the time. If you are mindless and can follow a cookie cutter one size fits all mentality then you will fit right in with the new mediocre culture. Front line managers are terribly inept, middle management is hit or miss, and senior leadership is very disconnected. Customers can go to zorotools.com(a Grainger company) and buy the same items for half price? Enjoy that conversation as a seller. It's just in a downward spiral. Once you leave, the weight is lifted and you will feel free. I waited months to post this so it was not knee jerk.... If you value fulfillment, run from this company for now. It will take new or enlightened leadership to right this ship.

I will address Jim and PK directly. You have allowed the over automation of the sales process. Productivity for productivity's sake does not fulfillment make. Instead of trying to make each seller 'well rounded', encourage diversity and specialization. Well rounded= Mediocre. Let process sellers grind and be the middle. Let relationship/creative sellers work the relationships and own the top. And finally, let big game hunters big game hunt and weed themselves out..... If you embrace the diversity, the culture will flourish, the teams will be fulfilled and employees will run through brick walls for you with smiles on their faces. And pay your sellers better, if you have steep goals....make steep pay! I had 3 years of increasing over performance and each year I made les and less. How completely unAmerican! This has been a great American company with a great American spirit.... the spirit is waning. Unfortunately, it's too late for many of us. You broke your culture and comp contract and we left. The mediocre culture has made the competition so much more attractive to work with. As we used to say, it's time to change the game!

Unfortunate Change In Culture; Losing Great People Every Day..:...:Turn it Around!

I worked at W.W. Grainger (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive Training; Profit Sharing; Benefits; Still Many Great People; Infrastructure Strong; Broad Offering

Cons

Leadership......many leaders no longer have the skillset needed to lead teams or business units within the company. Over the past three-four years, the company has hired many external candidates who have then brought their "friends" with them, whom which many do not possess the credentials nor ability to do the job for which they were hired. Compensation plans do not reward the true performance of an individual, but rather your popularity (image) and networking ability.....negative/easier-to-achieve goals, etc. The environment has become so politically-charged, that the core of what Grainger was founded upon, and the great company it once was, has greatly been compromised. Specifically, over the past 18 months, high turnover and decline in profitable business has been present due to these significant business issues.......a very unfortunate situation for all longtime employees who have observed the cultural change, or the many who have exited for other opportunities.

Enough is enough.....change is great!......but, make the right changes. Get back to the basics.....simplify. Great people equals success......repurpose the leaders that do not have the experience and skillset, simplify the processes, compensate and reward true performance, and turn this around! Once you do that, work/life balance no longer matters. Grainger is worth it and so are the people!

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Friendly. Good benefits. Supportive people.

Cons

Can't thing of any at the moment

None

Good

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and nice clean environment

Cons

No bad experience good company to grow with

DEPENDS ON BRANCH LOCATION

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, love the family spirit atmosphere with other co-workers. However branch Manger only CARES ABOUT HIMSELF.

Cons

Changing too much. Not secure. Advancement is NOT on MERIT. If your Mid market manager likes you then Your good. If you challenge him about policy then your screwed. By challenge I mean by offering a new process which they SO CALL they want however don't. Your marked for LIFE. Sad part is I like other mid market managers. DON'T TRUST or BELIEVE in his leadership. REALLY SAD cause I use to LOVE Grainger until the company kept changing way TOO FAST we will end up like VERIZON. We will forget about what truly matters the CUSTOMERS.

Talk to your employees about their leadership, why are some still doing the same job for over 5 years and there IDP hasn't even been worked on since there manager won't go to bat for them when they need time off the phone. Also most important we pride ourselves on number 1 customer service however how do you really WOW the customer when your taking 100 calls a day. Don't penalize your "team member" for calling back a customer to insure that there issue is solved. GO BACK TO TRULY CARING ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS INSTEAD OF WORRYING WHY YOUR AGENT WAS IN THE BATHROOM FOR 10 MINUTES. I APOLOGIZE FOR GOING NUMBER 2 & COULDN'T WAIT FOR MY BREAK

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo