W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated 17 April, 2015
683 reviews filtered by

1. Good Company

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic Organization, Diversity and Inclusion, World Company, Good Environment

Cons

A lot of trasitions,is good for remote locations but not good for others

You'll either love it or hate it.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

My role at Grainger is that of a TSR. There is a ton of opportunity here both within the role and within Grainger. From the get go you go through a period of training, and before you know it, you're out calling on clients. The role is largely consultative in nature. Much less going in and selling a product than trying to solve Inventory Management issues. The job also offers extreme flexibility in your work schedule. You're out on your own 90% of the time so you can largely pick and choose your own hours. This can change dramatically based on your manager's policies, however. The position definitely offers a lot of experience. In this role you'll develop skills related to sales strategy, communication, excel, forecasting, SalesForce, organization, and time management. This is a great position for someone who typically likes to work on their own, however if you reach out people are always very willing to assist with anything. Also, this position requires that someone be very self motivated.

Cons

The training that you receive does not prepare you for all their is to know. I've been here for six months and I still feel completely lost about so many aspects of the role. Because you are never in an office or working with anyone, seeking help is a chore all on it's own, and due to how busy you can get, often falls to the bottom of your list of priorities. The job is very lonely at times and there isn't much of a work culture in my experience. I see people from my team once every other week on average. The money is okay, but that's relative to your performance and your expectations going in. I believe on average, TSRs make about $45k, which is much less than i expected. Overall, if you're someone who thrives on collaboration, places importance on work culture, and may have a harder time producing high caliber work with no one to show it to/make sure that you do, then this job probably isn't for you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more training. It's crazy how much there is to learn in the role. Although I feel I learned a lot from training, it didn't REALLY prepare me for being out in my territory on my own.

3. Good but could be great.

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Good company. Good pay. Good people.

Cons

Grainger needs to tear down their internal silos if they want to continue to be competitive. They need to get out of their own way.

5. Bring back the real company!!

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

In the past...The company cared. Pay was good, management cared.. Now. Good luck

Cons

Management changed the culture 5 or so years ago to treat employees like second class citizens. I had a manager tell me "I can get a trained monkey to do your job". Management has totally lost any respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

Remember how this company got it's start,and go back to basics. While the company is still around.

Disillusioned and Disgruntled.

Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Customer Relations in Janesville, WI (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Lots of vacation time...not much else

Cons

Terrible communication between departments. No company wide standard operating procedures. HR told me the position paid $2 an hour more than it actually did and I only took the job at the lower pay because they promised me I would get promoted quickly. they encourage you to submit continuous improvement ideas, but I am consistently ignored on simple basic things that would improve the flow and ease of work. I applied for a promotion and they told me I should volunteer to help the department without getting the raise for the extra work. They used to do company Christmas parties and summer family picnics...now those are only for the senior management.

Advice to Management

Get some consistency in operating procedures. I hear a lot of excuses as to why each department does the same thing differently.

Love the company but they force you to hate them and the job. Government Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and Personal Time off. Lots of room to advance if you make the right connections. This place could be great if you'd get out of your own greedy way.

Cons

As an Account Manager, you grow your business but they give you two goal increases per year which makes it impossible to be 100%+ to goal consistently. One year you can make 120K followed by only salary @ 60k. I've seen it before.

Advice to Management

Understand you should be steadfast in your commitment to your sales force. There's more to success than your stockholders and all your damn sales projection reports. If you build your territory, why in the hell would you expect that person to make less? Shame on you for forcing good employees to seek employment elsewhere.

8. Great!

Current Employee - Account in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Culture is great! The room for advancement. Lots of opportunity to position changes.

Cons

I really don't have any.

9. Dock Associate

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Set hours, good benefits, safety first environment

Cons

Limited room for growth in the DC

10. Great Company with great benefit package

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Your benefits (medical, dental, etc) as well as profit sharing are a great perk.

Cons

Sometimes you can find yourself putting in really long weeks that are well over 40 hours.

11. Excellent Training Program

I worked at W.W. Grainger (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surprisingly good work-life balance, very good training, web tools a bit dated but being upgraded

Cons

Experienced management staff at mid level. Many policies stated by upper management not implemented correctly by middle managers. Need an internal operations layer.

W.W. Grainger Photos

Outside a W.W. Grainger branch, this one located at 2915 Boardwalk Ann Arbor Michigan 48104-6765 (Photo attributed to Dwight Burdette - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Grainger Atrium
Grainger Industrial Supply (Photo thanks to Flickr user rbieber, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo