W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing(in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case(in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing(in 16 reviews)

Good place to work if you don't mind being undermined, no room for promotion unless your "special one"

Inbound Associate (Current Employee) Roanoke, TX (US)

Prosgood profit sharing program, insurance is good

Conspay is nowhere near what it should be for what they want, everything is driven by numbers on productivity evaluation process is a crap shoot, people are given 'MVP" awards for not meeting production, doing as little as possible, while those of us that bust our butts night in and night out get an atta boy. Process Managers don't have a clue how to do or even evaluate our jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in people that care about the employee, that can relate to the employee, or better yet promote from within the working ranks instead of the "future leaders program"

Gave my all and experienced nepotism at its best.

Project Manager/Analyst (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL (US)

ProsGrainger is a good company and they compensate you very well.

ConsYou have to understand the politics and culture. You can give your all but it seems people try so hard to fit in that they will sell their souls to the devil! Karma is a -/:;(

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need prayer!

Your our most valued resource until we are looking to reduce staff.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPST, Short-term Disability Insurance, Vacation Time, Grainger Barcode on your neck.

ConsThe company wants to use "Green and LEAN" pricinples. If you are not doing your job and actively submitting improvement ideas and setting goals constantly, they do not like it. It is not good enough to enjoy your job and want to remain in that position. Railroading.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry more about keeping your customers and making them WANT to come back. Quit shoving policy after policy down your employees throats. Quit preaching the "Value Package". Customers don't buy into it. Also, you need to quit adding task after task and reducing staff. It won't be more efficient if you drive employees away. Believe me, Grainger would not survive if your branch staffs were all tenured one year or less.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An eh experience

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a solid company. The benefits are great. The profit-sharing plan is phenomenal. The company pays tuition reimbursement. There were a lot of incentives: company events/meals and merchandise. There was a gym on the premises.

ConsThe office wasn't as diverse as it could be. Not really enough flexibility for a middle-level manager. Middle and upper management was very disappointing. My salary was disgusting. I took an extremely severe pay cut. I had an incompetent manager, which made my job unbearable. She had a "my way or the highway" attitude. Do what she says. Don't think. Don't ask any questions. That's not a good fit for my personality and creativeness. And you can't move to another position or location without the blessing and support of your current manager. So, I was screwed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should invest in management training and hiring a more diverse management team.

It all depends on the manager

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

Prosgood benefits, retirement plan is very good,

Consthere is no work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire managers in their 20's. Make sure managers have some experience and know how to lead. There is a HUGE difference between being a manager and being a leader.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good ol' boys club.

CSA (Current Employee) Lincolnshire, IL (US)

ProsPay check and the benefits.

ConsAdvancement for African-Americans with a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat off middle management.

good but when we started making more money they started micro managing... got sued by employees for having too much work

Account Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

Prosnice people... poor management... too many favorites over looked...

Consfavorites... color issue too... blacks & whites handled differently... that went for managers and employees

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair... President & upper management... it was only about the $$$$ employees were not valuedd

Distribution Center Associate

Distribution Center Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGetting paid to work out basically. Very fast paced. Great pay for an entry position that does not require a bachelor's degree. Days go by very quickly.

ConsSome days when it's very busy the day's can be very long. Some employees are lazy and faster employees have to pick up their slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Sales Assoc.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jonesboro, AR (US)

ProsNot too hard of work, hourly pay is decent and I work with fun people. Grainger has everything you could ever want.

ConsI wish part-time was 30hrs instead of 20hrs.

Great company.

Manager (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL (US)

ProsExcellent reputation. Strong company with lots of room to grow. Very strong leadership.

ConsThe main challenge is also one of the pros, it's a conservative motor company from the Midwest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more innovative!

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!