Vitacost

Updated 13 December, 2014
Updated 13 December, 2014
2.0

Jeffrey J. Horowitz

Pros
  • Filtered water system and 2 monitors, like someone else said (in 4 reviews)

• Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Nice people, but warped leadership, particularly all C level employees and IT (in 8 reviews)

• This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work, and improving everyday

Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Medium size company backed by large multi-billion dollar corporation.People take pride in roles. There is opportunity for growth if you work hard and are self motivated. Employees treat each other with respect and collaboration. The work is fulfilling, and the company is growing at rapid rates far above any other company in this economy. Really smart people who are extremely helpful in building greatness together, all out for the same goal… More aligned than any other company I have ever worked for. Senior leadership is smart, motivating,upbeat and supportive. The leadership treats you like people, not like "staff"--- People are 'KIND' to one another, and extremely helpful

Cons

There are still some people at this company that are not here for the right reasons, or are burnt out from previous leadership, and not happy. Those people should look at the positive side of things, or should look for other opportunities and not try to bring others down.(change the people or change the people) Its not the prettiest work space, and the lack of space can feel confining. The open work space is not for everyone. The biggest issue I can see is that people that move on from here feel the need to take to glass door to complain, they were unable to bring their negative mentality to "take down" the company while they were here, so they lash out once they leave, or were let go for poor performance. Not everyone will be a good fit within a role, to come to glass door and complain once you've left speaks more about the past employee that left than the company itself. Overall this place is a great place to work.-- Biggest Con… That Glassdoor even exists.-- The negative people on here are PURE sour grapes, and this site shouldn't influence others from joining such an innovative, upbeat and fun company. I have been with the company over 5 years, and have had ups and downs like every other company-- this company's work life balance is second to no other retailer, or commerce company.and the atmosphere gets better with every single day!--

Vitacost is a great place to work!

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

Being here is like being part of a family. Everyone is engaged and has a sense of ownership of what we're building together. There is a strong belief in our future. Worklife balance is good and I have an upward career path that is clearly communicated. There are so many exciting opportunities ahead! The culture here is upbeat and energetic, but relaxed and casual at the same time. It's a fun place to work.

We also often get free products and have a shop in the office where we can buy low-cost healthy snacks, and there is a gym. It feels good to work for a company that is improving people's health and the quality of their lives.

Cons

The office isn't beautiful or modern, but that will change.

Keep being awesome!

Great spot for starting a career.

Current Employee - Product Sourcing Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Product Sourcing Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time

Pros

It's a great place for starting a career if you have no previous office experience. Gets you hands on all aspects of the business.

Cons

They play favorites and when do not hold their employees accountable for meeting deadlines. If you already have an established career, this is probably not the best fit for you. Limited ability for career growth.

Hold employees accountable for the things you ask them to do.

I recommend working here if you have NO moral compass

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

I can honestly say, when I started working at Vitacost over 2 years ago, I loved my job. Things at the company deteriorated quickly. I can't think of anything positive to say other than there are a FEW select people that I enjoyed working with.

Cons

Conditions and the culture at Vitacost continued to steadily go downhill, so Kroger acquiring the company was welcomed and fantastic news. As time passed, it became quite evident that how Kroger presents themselves is all smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately, what you read about Kroger and their dedication to their employees, customers and their commitment to abide by their "Kroger Values" is simply not true. Kroger states their "Values" is their commitment on how they do business with vendors, employees and customers. Their "Values" are pretty straight forward...Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Diversity, Safety and Inclusion are their buzz words. These terms are pretty self explanatory and I believe you don't need to work for Kroger to live by these core beliefs. Despite what is preached, if you choose to sleep with your boss as a means for promotion and personal monetary gain, choose to dupe customers by posting bogus customer reviews to boost sales, lie to upper management and fellow associates to save your face...then this is the place for you! If you possess any glimmer of ethics, conscience, decency, moral code or dignity...stay away. It appears that doing the opposite of the Kroger Values is embraced by upper management. I decided to resign from my position as a manager because I could no longer tolerate watching and being a part of such hypocrisy. Kroger is fully aware of the antics going on, yet choose to turn the other cheek.

I have no advice. Kroger is a public company and is quite successful,, so they certainly don't need my advice! My concern and advise is to prospective employees (and customers). If you have a tough outer skin, no integrity or scruples...apply. This is the place for you!

High turnover place and small pay.

Former Employee - Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn and it's fast paced environment.

Cons

High turnover rate and middle level management may not know what to do about company strategy.

Build a culture to keep the right people.

I was happy to get the heck out of there...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location and a cool dot com company vibe with open office and gym.

Cons

People - specially the management is the worst I have ever seen. If you have not come from the following organizations - The Vitamin Shoppe or Rossetta Stone, you better have a very high tolerance for being put down and thrown under the bus. It is very pathetic and demeaning the way you are treated and some of the people who are posie's to the management can never do anything wrong. There is also a culture of mediocrity and cya with people who have been around for a while - they play the game well and make life miserable for others.

This is for the Kroger Management - It may not be a bad idea to clean house to improve culture and morale.

One of the most unprofessional companies I have ever worked at.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lexington, NC (US)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On a positive note, the merger with Kroger may hopefully instill some of Kroger's employee centered management into this company, hopefully!

Cons

My honest review as of today of this company within the customer service branch:

Customer service is already a stressful job and the management department did not help make this position any easier. The management has not been trained properly for the positions they were given and it shows daily in the work that is done. There is a huge issue with favoritism and unequal work conditions as far as the consistency of enforcing the rules. For some employees rules are enforced and for others rules are simply words on a paper that mean nothing. The pay is very minimal for the positions you are in ($10.78/hr) but the benefits are a little better than normal as far as the medical, dental, vision, etc. The PTO is a joke because of the process of using the PTO hours earned. (Another area where favoritism is showed with who gets PTO approved and who does not.) There is no open culture to share feelings, concerns, or comments with upper management. There is no real room for advancing per say. Advancement with this company is a team lead and that's really as far as I have seen or heard of in a while. The other position over team lead to advance to can only be obtained if one of the 3 leaves. There is, at random times, room to move to a different position (special teams, etc) but this too is given by favoritism and not qualifications all the time. I think the lack of training with management before the positions were given is the core reason why this company experiences high employee turnover and a huge employee job dissatisfaction.

TRAINING! TRAINING! TRAINING!

not good

I have been working at Vitacost as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very bad to work in team as well as at organization level

Cons

please do not join this organization

Not Another Cinderella Story

I worked at Vitacost full-time

Pros

As far as pros, there are some really great people to work with at Vitacost. The paychecks clear, and the coffee keeps brewing on. The company has somewhat decent benefits, but not anything close to benefit packages I have had from previous employers.

Cons

Cons. Where to begin. Well, everything starts at the top. C-Levels. I really cannot fathom how or why they were chosen. The most heinous of the bunch being the CMO (that's merchandising, not marketing). He just doesn't get it - neither merchandising or marketing. He is disrespectful to many people -- and that is when he is ever actually around. The CIO is pleasant enough, but he also doesn't get a lot of things. He's a big kid with technological toys and minions.

Many unnecessary bloopers and blunders have been made due to poor choices and lack of experienced decision making, and as a result, a lot of time and money has been wasted. Higher ups either don't think things through logically or they tear things apart so intricately, the relevance of a request has come and gone.

Favoritism also plays a large role in the poor judgement department. If you're one of the boys - and on their team - they listen. If you're not - forget about it. If you're a woman - forget about it either way! There is no true respect for female employees there. They are shewed away and/or minimized in conversations when they are not around to hear the demeaning commentary made about them. In addition, many of the "promotions" for women are basically done to appease them when they attempt to resign or they start to make waves due to poor treatment. None based on their true skill set to actually do the job they are promoted to, which leads them down a path of failure, and eventually they leave anyway.

This brings me to my next con -- no room for real growth at this company. Maybe you'll have a lateral move here or there if you really hate the position you are in (and you're lucky), but nothing of significance. And - the grass is never greener on the other side of the new role given! Promises are made about what you will be doing in your newly clad position in the company, but none of these promises ever come to fruition. It is all smoke and mirrors to get you to stay longer until they can find someone else to fill your seat. No true appreciation for employees there.

There is no real marketing going on in this company. People that currently make the marketing decisions have no clue, experience or background in marketing. Those hired to do marketing (that do actually have the knowledge and experience) take orders from them, and aren't given any real voice or decision-making power. Might as well hire a monkey. And if you dare do something against the grain -- be prepared to be publicly humiliated for it. HR does nothing when this happens. HR does nothing about a lot of things...

Because of this toxic fog, led by the top down, there are many territorial battles, people doing things purposely in silos, many people not collaborating, communicating or working together and a lot of unnecessary drama. This all makes for a very stressful, unproductive and negative work environment.

To Kroger execs who purchased this company: It will take a lot of work to turn this culture around. Start by cleaning house (CMO is a great starting place). Appreciate the employees. Eliminate favoritism. Listen to the employees with the actual skill set they were hired for and stop letting people who have no clue make decisions. Stop the abuse, drama and territorial battles. Make sure women are treated with as much respect as men - as equals.

Worst Experience Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, NC (US)

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing was positive about it

Cons

Pay, coworkers were rude and arrogant, upper management clueless as they constantly changed direction.

Fire all the executives and start over