Victoria's Secret Stores

3.2 1,181 reviews

Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney

Sharen Turney

1,181 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great discount, love being able to help shoppers feel better about themselves"
    in 77 reviews
  • "Free bras two times a year and great discount throughout the year"
    in 75 reviews
Cons:
  • "The part-time work & call-in shifts are for the birds (if this is your only job)"
    in 62 reviews
  • "Retail schedules can be tough, although this is the best focus on work life balance I've seen"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

busy but pretty fun environment

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

Pros30% discount and sometimes gratis but very limited

Consemployees are female and sometimes there are tensions.

The brand is beautiful...working for it is ugly

Toronto, ON

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities for growth as the company often promotes from within.
25% discount on merchandise and "Buy-in" for new bras
Sales associates do not work on commission (less pressure to sell)
Working for a well known and respected brand. I actually dreamed of working for this brand and was thrilled at the opportunity to work for them.
Co-workers are supportive and I worked with a great group of associates there.

ConsWork schedule was not accommodating. Example: We were informed that if we could not stay past 11pm or start at 6am everyday and were threatened for not being able to stay until midnight. A one hour difference. We were also scheduled to close the store and open back to back which was not legal as there should have been a 10-12 hour time gap between the two shifts. I also recall an associate needed to go to school to present an event as her final project for her certificate program and she was told she could not go even though she requested the time off weeks in advance.
Compensation is abysmal (even by retail standards). Example: operations managers made $2 more per hour than sales associates who made the bare minimum with no increase after the first year either.
We often had to attend store meetings to discuss new product launches or brand initiatives to make sure we know what new things the company was promoting but there was no follow through. We had many collections that were released one day and pulled off the shelves by the next month with no explanation (even ones that were selling well) which was difficult to explain to customers who loved the collection. The sales were great but it would just disappear.
The biggest con of all was the incompetent and uninspiring management team. There was no tact or diplomacy as we were talked down to and berated at times right in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you see that a single store has 50-100 employees quit in the span of 2 months...something is terribly wrong. Please hire managers for your stores who actually have people skills. Especially the store manager. It's not an office job it's retail so there are no excuses. Also, take more time to develop your employees so they can grow and give equal opportunity to all employees not just the favourites. The opportunities to advance are there but your employees need to be provided with a supportive environment in order for them to perform to the best of their abilities and contribute effectively to the brand's objectives and strategy.

Good experience, bad management

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time

ProsFun working environment
Friendly workers
Great promotions and discounts
Very encouraging staff

ConsManagement was not good
The pay was standard but did not increase much over the time I was there

Enjoyed Working with Victoria's Secret

Cash Wrap (Former Employee)
Oshawa, ON

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe entire team was great to work with; no complaints.

ConsThe number of hours given per week really sucked; no one can live on 8-15 hours per week. The overall industry, not just Victoria's Secret, needs to increase the number of hours store employees work weekly so they can survive the cost of living increases instead of being sucked below the poverty line.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only "advice" to management is related to my last comment: increase the allotted number of hours for part-time employees to a minimum of 20 hours up to and including 25 hours weekly, and your minimum wage increased to $11/hour. Victoria's Secret can well afford it.

Beautiful, personal, very goal oriented

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores

ProsYou get gratis almost monthly, it's a beautiful environment to work in, at my location (Robson st, Vancouver) there was a lot of opportunity to move up.

ConsThe management is VERY critical. There is always something you could have done better and they will constantly be telling you this. If you are only part time they only give you your schedule at the earliest 1 week ahead of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to acknowledge when associates are doing a good job more often to even out the constant criticism.

Victoria's Secret Pink- Not great...

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get free outfits a few times a year, buy-in bundles, and great discounts. Flexible with hours if you're in school. Co-workers are fun.

ConsYou barely get a raise because they're a greedy company. They will send you home if you are not performing to optimal standards regardless of the fact that they are a very rich company. The clothes are not the greatest quality and way over-priced, but you still have to lie to customers. Managers are a bunch if women in their twenties nostalgic of their high school mean girl years. The company has call-in shifts that you must call in two hours in advance, as well as call-ins during a shift, which is basically to see if they will need you for a couple of more hours. They have complete disregard of the employee because at times they will tell you that they don't need you and at the last minute when you're about to leave, are told that you must stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a friendlier environment and treat employees as your equals, it says a lot about your character... or lack thereof.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time

Pros- nice coworkers that make a rather horrible shift more enjoyable
- gratis can be really good deals on rather expensive items

Cons- horrible cheap customers who want to take their anger out on you
- management thinks they are the popular people in high school
- only 2 good mangers in a store of over 8 managers or people with higher seniority
- don't leave you time for a personal life
- don't listen to your schedule
- constantly on everyone's back to make sales at 9 am with 2 customers in the store
- managers are very rude and do not do their jobs they and pick on employees
- I would never recommend this job to anyone
- People are given full time hours but not given the benefits of working full time

Advice to Senior Management- management needs appropriate training
- deal with customer and employee conflict very poorly
- throw responsibility on each with when an employee asks a question regarding schedule conflict
- very discouraging environment
- poor amount of training is given

Worst job ever

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros-Gratis (i guess) -Friendly CoWorkers - you get first dibs on new products - Flexible scheduling - easy dress code

Cons-Management is awful -Discount Sucks - They don't pay you enough for what they expect you to do - you get told to do one thing then another manager says something different and your whole shift you are getting yelled at - very unprofessional company - to sales/ money focused - they don't care about their employees at all - no room to advance - they say min hours you can get per week is 16 but then you could have 16 hours worth of calls in and they won't accept any of them

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, then maybe you wouldn't have such a high turn over

Too much work for horrible pay and no chance to excel internally. No real opportunities to contribute expertise.

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe new girls are always nice and energetic

ConsThe more experienced employees don't give clear directions and are annoyed when you keep asking them what to do. A checklist would help.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you paid your staff like you charge for your bras then there would be alot more bright individuals choosing to work for you and develop the company further.

Sales Associate

Edmonton, AB

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe company offers great discounts and benefits to employees and there's lots of room to move around to different departments if you want to change.

ConsWorking with 200+ employees can make the team environment less personable, but other than that it was a great part time job.

Worked for Victoria's Secret Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Victoria's Secret Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney. All 1,181 reviews are posted anonymously by Victoria's Secret Stores employees.