Victoria's Secret Stores

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.2 1,380 reviews

Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney

Sharen Turney

Pros
  • Great discount and deals given to employees on different products every other month (in 93 reviews)

• 30% employee discount with some free bras throughout the year (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Some positions pose a greater difficulty in maintaining a work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• The part-time work & call-in shifts are for the birds (if this is your only job) (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights
1,380 Employee Reviews

Great environment, staff and opportunity for growth!

ProsGreat staff
    Organized management
    Excellent flexibility with scheduling
    Constant coaching and opportunity for growth
    Positive work environment
    Gratis
    Overall great company!

ConsSo far in my experience, there has been nothing wrong with the store or company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to do as you have been. In my 9+ years of working in retail this has been by far one of the most positive experiences I've had where even when I'm tired and exhausted I enjoy going to work everyday

Bad Communication

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsTheir employee discount is nice and also getting free things occasionally. The work is easy and the customer base is okay.

ConsThere are too many levels of management and lots of miscommunication (or lack there of). There doesn't seem to be a clear goal for anything and too many people are not on the same page about the simplist things. For example, how we organize receipts at the end of the night to make audits the next morning go as efficiently as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet together, make a game plan for the week/month and execute effectively. Let's all follow the same SOP.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible with scheduling, lots of hours,

ConsSometimes demanding, you need to call-in prior to your actual shift... so you have to plan your day around the call-in (which sometimes, they don't even accept)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Markham, ON

Pros- Monthly buy-ins, samples
    - Beautiful stores
    - Learning about how bras should fit and helping other women find their perfect fit makes you feel amazing as well!

Cons- Management can differ from store to store
    - Minimum wage
    - Many broken promises, told one thing during training/onboarding and another when you're actually on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining the managers (ANY management positions) you hire from outsides thoroughly. Ensuring they know the Workplace Ethics code is very important, and considering the feelings of their employees.

Great First Retail Job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsGenerous Discount
    Free Items Every Month
    Positive Motivation
    Fun Environment

ConsSome catty girls
    Management went downhill after a year of being open
    Gossip was frequent

busy but pretty fun environment

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros30% discount and sometimes gratis but very limited

Consemployees are female and sometimes there are tensions.

Recent changes from upper management are harming the store culture and reputation

Replenishment Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe discounts and gratises are great, majority of employees are easy to get along with, and there is always a long to-do list (better then having nothing to work on). Also the return/exchange/warranty policies are amazing and make it easier to stand behind the products and to sell them.

ConsThe training is lacking and you are often expected to know new information, even if management has not explained it to every associate. There is a (recent) heavy focus on selling, which results in a lot of back room tasks being pushed behind and under valued. As well, some managers are unable to deal with mistakes or conflict in an appropriate manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new sales tracking at cash causes tension between associates and many customers have noticed and/or complained about these differences. This also causes associates who have constantly high sales to be commended, despite their pushy behaviour and customer complaints, while associates with fluctuating sales who maintain honesty and integrity with each customer are under appreciated. Even my friend who swears by your bras and originally convinced me to try them, now dislikes shopping in the stores and would consider buying bras elsewhere if your product was not as good.

Good experience, bad management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsFun working environment
    Friendly workers
    Great promotions and discounts
    Very encouraging staff

ConsManagement was not good
    The pay was standard but did not increase much over the time I was there

The brand is beautiful...working for it is ugly

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsOpportunities for growth as the company often promotes from within.
    25% discount on merchandise and "Buy-in" for new bras
    Sales associates do not work on commission (less pressure to sell)
    Working for a well known and respected brand. I actually dreamed of working for this brand and was thrilled at the opportunity to work for them.
    Co-workers are supportive and I worked with a great group of associates there.

ConsWork schedule was not accommodating. Example: We were informed that if we could not stay past 11pm or start at 6am everyday and were threatened for not being able to stay until midnight. A one hour difference. We were also scheduled to close the store and open back to back which was not legal as there should have been a 10-12 hour time gap between the two shifts. I also recall an associate needed to go to school to present an event as her final project for her certificate program and she was told she could not go even though she requested the time off weeks in advance.
    Compensation is abysmal (even by retail standards). Example: operations managers made $2 more per hour than sales associates who made the bare minimum with no increase after the first year either.
    We often had to attend store meetings to discuss new product launches or brand initiatives to make sure we know what new things the company was promoting but there was no follow through. We had many collections that were released one day and pulled off the shelves by the next month with no explanation (even ones that were selling well) which was difficult to explain to customers who loved the collection. The sales were great but it would just disappear.
    The biggest con of all was the incompetent and uninspiring management team. There was no tact or diplomacy as we were talked down to and berated at times right in front of customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you see that a single store has 50-100 employees quit in the span of 2 months...something is terribly wrong. Please hire managers for your stores who actually have people skills. Especially the store manager. It's not an office job it's retail so there are no excuses. Also, take more time to develop your employees so they can grow and give equal opportunity to all employees not just the favourites. The opportunities to advance are there but your employees need to be provided with a supportive environment in order for them to perform to the best of their abilities and contribute effectively to the brand's objectives and strategy.

Enjoyed Working with Victoria's Secret

Cash Wrap (Former Employee) Oshawa, ON

ProsThe entire team was great to work with; no complaints.

ConsThe number of hours given per week really sucked; no one can live on 8-15 hours per week. The overall industry, not just Victoria's Secret, needs to increase the number of hours store employees work weekly so they can survive the cost of living increases instead of being sucked below the poverty line.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only "advice" to management is related to my last comment: increase the allotted number of hours for part-time employees to a minimum of 20 hours up to and including 25 hours weekly, and your minimum wage increased to $11/hour. Victoria's Secret can well afford it.

Worked for Victoria's Secret Stores? Contribute to the Community!