ViXS Reviews in Toronto, ON

software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance really depends on project and individual person,
    compensation is ok. time off policy is flexible.

Cons

don't know the value of this company yet, and company's culture as well.
    atmosphere in company is not so good. For employee, job is job and nothing more than that.

Not the best place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good technology, and some great colleagues.

Cons

No work-life balance. Employees are expected to work around the clock without questioning decisions made by management. Management appears clueless on pretty much every topic, be it project management, customer management, strategy, communication, organizational development and sales. Result - chaotic workplace where the employees find out every morning what is the "high" priority issues they should focus on that day.

Be proactive instead of being reactive, and consider getting some professional help to run the organization.

Sharing my two cents

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I joined the company in March 2001, and now the senior director of algorithms team. With this information, many ViXS employees may know who I am.
    There are very different opinions about the company here in the glass door website, and I’m feeling very sad to see those bad ones. But I can understand some of them: He or she has been working very hard for the past a few years, but ViXS is not doing as great as expected yet.
    I think it’s normal that any company has ups and downs. But what shall we do? My suggestion is: follow your heart. For those of you who are unhappy, please let me quote from a friend of mine, who has also left, “I've made many friends for life here at ViXS”, maybe it’s a good time to move on and find a better opportunity, you have my best wishes. And for those of you who have faith in the company, keep up your spirits, ViXS depends on you.
    With the very successful HEVC decoder release and promising chips in the roadmap, I have confidence.

Cons

There was a big layoff in Feb 2013, but the worst time has passed.

Keep up the morale of the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

Cons

Multiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side.

Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof.

New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Sell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

Cons

Sometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Very smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
    Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
    Flexible working hours.
    Great work and team environment

Cons

Work life balance is not that great.
    Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.

Great company

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great place to seek knowledge and experience in advanced technologies. People are nice to each other, and the working environment is friendly, flexible working hours.

Cons

In early 2013, there was a round of layoffs, most of the negative reviews were from the engineers let go, feel sorry for them.

Give more credit to the key engineers that are important for the company.

ViXS is a company where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated, and your career objective will be fulfilled.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. You can always have opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology stuff, and learn about newest knowledge in the area.
    2. The company is running efficiently. Technology can be converted into product in a short period.
    3. Working time is flexible.
    4. Salary is good.
    5. Working environment is very friendly.

Cons

Sometimes when the project is approaching the customer deadline, some over time working will be needed. You will need to work late and sometimes come to work on weekends.

Looking forward to its booming!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has very friendly environment and flexible work hours. There are always new projects which provide engineers more challenges and opportunities of learning. It has supportive and discerning supervisors and lots of enthusiastic engineers. Hardworking is always rewarded here.

Cons

The company needs more featured products. It now manages to keep leading not only in techniques but also in marketing.

The management needs to be more determined sometimes. Though brilliant ideas are always needed, sticking on selected projects and resisting from the temptation of easy success are also necessary. Otherwise, hardworking from engineers may not always bring good harvests.

Management is very focused and smart

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They focus on squeezing every bit out of their employees. They are smart to layoff no more than 50 employees at a time to avoid announcing publicly. They are so good in making themselves to believe in their own lies and forcing the employees to support them. They have the guts to ask employees to write positive reviews here. Shameless.

Cons

All cons from the previous reviews are very true. Positive reviews are written either by forced employees or senior management themselves.

Speechless. Hopeless.

Worked for ViXS? Contribute to the Community!