ViXS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sally J. Daub

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive

Toronto, ON

I have been working at ViXS full-time

ProsVery smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
Flexible working hours.
Great work and team environment

ConsWork life balance is not that great.
Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

ConsMultiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side.

Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof.

New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

Great company

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA great place to seek knowledge and experience in advanced technologies. People are nice to each other, and the working environment is friendly, flexible working hours.

ConsIn early 2013, there was a round of layoffs, most of the negative reviews were from the engineers let go, feel sorry for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more credit to the key engineers that are important for the company.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

ConsSometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Management is very focused and smart

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey focus on squeezing every bit out of their employees. They are smart to layoff no more than 50 employees at a time to avoid announcing publicly. They are so good in making themselves to believe in their own lies and forcing the employees to support them. They have the guts to ask employees to write positive reviews here. Shameless.

ConsAll cons from the previous reviews are very true. Positive reviews are written either by forced employees or senior management themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeechless. Hopeless.

Troubled company with no leadership

Technical Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost people are friendly and smart. There is a lot of good technology in software and hardware.

ConsWhere to begin. We lost a lot of friends and smart people during last few years because of layoffs. The company could not sell because it decided to concentrate on shrinking high-end markets. The company had to go public to bring in cash, and stock price has stagnant since then.

Then VP's, achitects, CFO and other key people quit. We were over 300 people to now just 100. We do not have enough talent or people to make another product. The pay here is below average - read other reviews here.

Mean while last financial report shows that the executives are giving themselves more salary and bonuses - see what our CEO got last year because they can not hide in financial report. See what other executives got. Why do they get huge bonuses and pay when our company is doing so bad and have to do lay offs?

The morale is terrible but the executives do not know or do not care to find out about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up before it is too late but I'm afraid it is already too late. CEO, stop taking your pet dog to work and letting it run around the office. It is not your play ground.

horrible company. conning customers, employees and investors

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at ViXS full-time for more than a year

Prosthey paid the salary on time, that is about the only positive thing I can say, and that is only because of the 20 word minimum required

Consthe management is worried only about its survival, and I believe people who wrote that the last positive reviews were fake, as suddenly there is a ton of extremely positive reviews about it in a very short time. The company is a mess. The execution is terrible, the chips don't work and there are full of bugs. The last chip was delayed by almost 2 years, and I'm sure it's full of bugs as the previous. Their marketing is shamelessly telling stories to customers, the management doesn't involve employees in anything, people are working on projects without knowing anything about them. Sally Daub barely shows up to work, and no one ever sees here there. The management in Vixs reminds the lords in ancient England while the employees are the peasants. They layoff people very easily and hire people for low salaries, or non at all, telling them it's a trial period when they have no intention of keeping them after the trial period.
When they were close to running out of cash a year ago, they laid off as many employees as they could and went on an IPO, telling nice stories to investment companies about the company outlook, when actually customers were leaving them, and the whole thing they did was try and keep the existing customers, which most were very unsatisfied at the time I used to work there. The company has no methodologies, no documentation, no order, and they are busy putting out fires all the time, and that is why they work their employees so hard because of all the crisis's they have.
When I started working there I couldn't believe that a company can last so many years the way they are working, but I thought that there may be something I don't understand, but after a while there I realized that all they do is just find new suckers every time that put money into the company, and all that matters to the senior management is to keep the company alive so that they could suck more high salaries from it as long as they can.
If I was an investor in the company I would run away with my money as far as possible, Vixs is a definite short, it has no long term plan, it's just shooting in all direction hoping to hit something when it's way out of its league, and therefor will always lose on all fronts.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing will help, because the management doesn't really care, they just want to keep the company live as long as possible

Terrible company, employees get nothing and don't even know it.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at ViXS full-time for less than a year

ProsCan't think of any.

Cons1. Terrible management. There is absolutely NO policy.
2. Executives only do things that benefit themselves. Disregards the rest of the company.
3. No matter how hard employees work, there are no incentives/praises to motivate you. It's either you work or you leave.
4. Most management have a temper issue. Constant yelling is heard around the office.
5. They are also telling people to write fake reviews here to bring up the rating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink for the people who work for you. It's not always about the you or the money.

ViXS is a company where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated, and your career objective will be fulfilled.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1. You can always have opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology stuff, and learn about newest knowledge in the area.
2. The company is running efficiently. Technology can be converted into product in a short period.
3. Working time is flexible.
4. Salary is good.
5. Working environment is very friendly.

ConsSometimes when the project is approaching the customer deadline, some over time working will be needed. You will need to work late and sometimes come to work on weekends.

Looking forward to its booming!

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has very friendly environment and flexible work hours. There are always new projects which provide engineers more challenges and opportunities of learning. It has supportive and discerning supervisors and lots of enthusiastic engineers. Hardworking is always rewarded here.

ConsThe company needs more featured products. It now manages to keep leading not only in techniques but also in marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to be more determined sometimes. Though brilliant ideas are always needed, sticking on selected projects and resisting from the temptation of easy success are also necessary. Otherwise, hardworking from engineers may not always bring good harvests.

Worked for ViXS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ViXS reviews and ratings in Toronto, ON — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ViXS CEO Sally J. Daub. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by ViXS employees.