Verizon Reviews

3.3
2,430 Reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • The best thing is the pay and benefits that start on your first da (in 191 reviews)

• If your a mgmt employee there is a good deal of work life balance (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work/life balance attribute to high absenteeism across the company (in 91 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job at the right time, but limited and rigid career progression

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance (I was a remote worker throughout my tenure, though that may not be possible with many if not most positions in the company). Competitive pay, but YMMV on initial hire. (I was hired into a senior individual contributor role position).

Cons

Use of internal systems for internal and external customer support are complex and convoluted, with disparate and often duplicate applications being used. This was a result of an assortment of companies being integrated into an already large company. Poor collaboration between teams, though some division / teams may have pockets of excellence. Difficult to mobilize the company because of its bulk.
    Expect a VERY long onboarding process.
    Pay increases were limited (once a year upon yearly review, manager discretion to provide an increase within a 2-4% range depending on goals attained). This was partly due to a poor structure for the consulting services group in general, with difficult opportunities for project based resources to be fully utilized unless you were assigned to an account with a multi-year engagement. This also affects your bonus incentive pay, and while on paper may seem generous, was difficult to using utilization metrics that were set since you were at the mercy of being assigned billable project work based on the sales pipeline, the adeptness of your managing principal to assign you the work, and to a lesser extent your ability to network with project managers to be requested for additional work.
    Training was very limited - There were some good online resources provided, but training budget was non-existent during my tenure there. I was able to attend once conference during my 4 year tenure (a conference I had attended yearly prior to that) and could not get authorization for any classes.
    Some internal tools and apps were absolutely archaic (document management was especially horrible scattered between a various web-centered services and flat file shares).

The company itself has a good vision to grow the top line revenues through cloud, security and managed IT services. However, internal structural and collaborative improvements remain a long way off from achieving maturity. Professional Services especially lacks maturity, and needs better investment at the senior executive level to make it a better enablement group for the products in Verizon's portfolio. Presales and post-sales cycles need to be better integrated. Better tools for collaboration need to be in place given the disparate distribution of resources. Need to get start treating the PS organization as a collection of CONSULTANTS and not simply engineers if you truly want effective consulting practices.

Technical Service Manager

Current Employee - Technical Service Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Technical Service Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training opportunities. Flexible time. Good people to work with.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are limited.

Honestly listen to employees suggestion. Be more proactive.

The worst company to work for; candidates beware

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is not good reason to work here. If you like to get paid to get abused by ineffective managers, this is a great place to work.

Cons

In my 15 year industry experience few years at Verizon were the worst. I've worked for global organization, mom and pop operations, small and large organizations but Verizon got them all beat, hands down, when it comes to respecting its employees. The management style is "stat of the art" 1945 command and control. Only the ass-kissers get the recognition. If you can't kiss the right ass, you're out. I worked in 3 different department during my 5 years and each one was the worst than the previous. You've been warned!

Management is enjoying the strength of network. They are making money hand over fist because of great network (it really is great by the way) but ineffectiveness in their performance management and accountability are going to catch up to them soon. Not to mention HR, a huge shame on the name of HR. All they think they are good for is paper pushing and its sad they even suck at that.

Analyst

I have been working at Verizon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Solid Company in US not in india.

Cons

Bureaucracy, politics, inefficiency. At least in the team I was present.

Hire the right people and maintain intellectually stimulating work culture.

Morale beat down

Former Employee - Bilingual Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Bilingual Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Great Benefits program
    *Meeting great intelligent individuals

Cons

*Major abuse of power
    *Bullying
    *Harassment towards women
    *Lack of accountability towards management
    *MAJOR Lack of trust towards HR
    *Micro-management

Prior to the new V.P. coming on board, thing were relatively fine and slightly healthier. The major key players and major talent have already left if not in the process. If it's not broken, don't fix it gentlemen !

Great Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent/Switching Equipment Tech in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co workers, great pay, Loved my job and the challenges that came with the job. It was never the same thing each day

Cons

Contracts contracts contracts. When the time for the contract to be up it is always nerve wracking worrying about your job.

Senior Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many organizations and positions available

Cons

Organizations moving to collaboration model and requiring physical presence in office

Stop changing process steps - conflicting, confusing and redundant.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity, fun place to work.

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance.

Take care of all your employees.

Worked for company for 28 years, recently riffed.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are excellent. Most departments open to telecommuting.

Cons

RIFs (Reduction in Force) occur on a regular basis. Basically work with a guillotine hanging over your head. It is not a matter of IF you will be RIFFED it is a matter of WHEN. Usually have to handle responsibilities of those who were let go. Depending on who you work for, and reorgs are common, best not provide your opinion if it is not in line with your Manager's or Director's unless you have a very good repoire with them.

Be open to employees who are providing feedback, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lowell, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lowell, MA (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

. Great benefits, work place pretty good

Cons

Some managers should not have reporting people

Follow through with developing employees