Verizon

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 2,235 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed(in 183 reviews)

• Good benefits and competetive or better salary especially the more years you have(in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs(in 77 reviews)

• Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos(in 78 reviews)

2,235 Employee Reviews

Good job at the right time, but limited and rigid career progression

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood work / life balance (I was a remote worker throughout my tenure, though that may not be possible with many if not most positions in the company). Competitive pay, but YMMV on initial hire. (I was hired into a senior individual contributor role position).

ConsUse of internal systems for internal and external customer support are complex and convoluted, with disparate and often duplicate applications being used. This was a result of an assortment of companies being integrated into an already large company. Poor collaboration between teams, though some division / teams may have pockets of excellence. Difficult to mobilize the company because of its bulk.
    Expect a VERY long onboarding process.
    Pay increases were limited (once a year upon yearly review, manager discretion to provide an increase within a 2-4% range depending on goals attained). This was partly due to a poor structure for the consulting services group in general, with difficult opportunities for project based resources to be fully utilized unless you were assigned to an account with a multi-year engagement. This also affects your bonus incentive pay, and while on paper may seem generous, was difficult to using utilization metrics that were set since you were at the mercy of being assigned billable project work based on the sales pipeline, the adeptness of your managing principal to assign you the work, and to a lesser extent your ability to network with project managers to be requested for additional work.
    Training was very limited - There were some good online resources provided, but training budget was non-existent during my tenure there. I was able to attend once conference during my 4 year tenure (a conference I had attended yearly prior to that) and could not get authorization for any classes.
    Some internal tools and apps were absolutely archaic (document management was especially horrible scattered between a various web-centered services and flat file shares).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company itself has a good vision to grow the top line revenues through cloud, security and managed IT services. However, internal structural and collaborative improvements remain a long way off from achieving maturity. Professional Services especially lacks maturity, and needs better investment at the senior executive level to make it a better enablement group for the products in Verizon's portfolio. Presales and post-sales cycles need to be better integrated. Better tools for collaboration need to be in place given the disparate distribution of resources. Need to get start treating the PS organization as a collection of CONSULTANTS and not simply engineers if you truly want effective consulting practices.

Technical Service Manager

Technical Service Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsTraining opportunities. Flexible time. Good people to work with.

ConsOpportunities for growth are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly listen to employees suggestion. Be more proactive.

The worst company to work for; candidates beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is not good reason to work here. If you like to get paid to get abused by ineffective managers, this is a great place to work.

ConsIn my 15 year industry experience few years at Verizon were the worst. I've worked for global organization, mom and pop operations, small and large organizations but Verizon got them all beat, hands down, when it comes to respecting its employees. The management style is "stat of the art" 1945 command and control. Only the ass-kissers get the recognition. If you can't kiss the right ass, you're out. I worked in 3 different department during my 5 years and each one was the worst than the previous. You've been warned!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is enjoying the strength of network. They are making money hand over fist because of great network (it really is great by the way) but ineffectiveness in their performance management and accountability are going to catch up to them soon. Not to mention HR, a huge shame on the name of HR. All they think they are good for is paper pushing and its sad they even suck at that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

ProsSolid Company in US not in india.

ConsBureaucracy, politics, inefficiency. At least in the team I was present.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people and maintain intellectually stimulating work culture.

Morale beat down

Bilingual Account Executive (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat Benefits program
    *Meeting great intelligent individuals

Cons*Major abuse of power
    *Bullying
    *Harassment towards women
    *Lack of accountability towards management
    *MAJOR Lack of trust towards HR
    *Micro-management

Advice to Senior ManagementPrior to the new V.P. coming on board, thing were relatively fine and slightly healthier. The major key players and major talent have already left if not in the process. If it's not broken, don't fix it gentlemen !

I made lifelong friends, received 100% tuition assistance, and developed my Customer Service expertise from the best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay, benefits, and the strong friendships. Training and coaching is of top quality.

ConsLong hours and working weekends.

Good starting point and good career

IT Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsThis was my first company out of college and I stayed as a management employee for 11 years. I got a lot of on the job training and experience that has made me feel confident enough in my skills to take on new challenges. I really like that they promote diversity in the workplace. The benefits are great. I took advantage of all of it, and I would recommend that everyone does so. The 401k match, health benefits, tuition assistance, learning center, development and leadership workshops/opportunities are selling points. Salary is competitive, and depending on the organization you join, there are plenty of opportunities to move up. Depending on your organization's budget, you can get a hefty bonus and raise. Some positions are open to work at home and remote locations. I was recently laid off and was given a decent severance package, so if that's important to you, Verizon will take care of you in that regard.

ConsIt's just not stable. I don't know how I survived 11 years. There was always a big RIF (reduction in force, or layoff) at least once a year across all areas of the organization. I know this is just the nature of Corporate America today, so I can't pinpoint this on just Verizon. But it sucks because each business unit handles this differently. Some organizations don't allow lateral movement to other groups - so you may be stuck as a "lifer" if you don't want to grow under one group. Office politics are huge. Good ole' boy mentality and cronyism runs deep. A lot of people get paid way too much to do so little, and take advantage of it. The infrastructure and hiring process just \makes it easy for people to do so. Because of all the RIF's, I believe people only had enough motivation just to keep themselves afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor IT: Invest in keeping the present human resources. If staff is underperforming, I can understand letting them go in RIF's. However, if an employee is doing well, find another way to cut costs. Verizon wastes way too much money on unused assets. It's easier to decommission unused servers or hardware versus retiring an evolving and knowledge hungry employee.

Enjoyed working for Verizon

Systems Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsWeekly pay check, great benefits with low premium, union

Consconstant rumors of downsizing, union, distance traveled to work

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Best and Worst Company in the World at the Same Time Resulting in an Average Company.

Director/Manager (Former Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

ProsThe variety of departments allows employees to sample many positions. The training opportunities are plentiful. The culture allows for people to make mistakes, and recover from them so that careers can be salvaged. Compensation is good for people who are average or above average in intelligence. They are supportive of a diverse work force, work at home (to a point), and flexible work hours (to a point).

ConsHaving experienced many departments, I can attest to the following: Long Term planning jobs are safe, but dead end jobs; Marketing jobs are high reward with access to greater opportunities, and more probability of layoffs. IT is a sweat shop, and most employees burn out. In Finance you work hard, putting in long hours, but the work can be interesting. However, Finance is detached from the operations of the business, and the employees there are usually snowed by the people running the business. The Company is still undergoing a change from the joining of the Wireline and Wireless organizations. Since Wireless is now responsible for approximately 80% of the revenues, the former Wireless employees feel entitled, and superior to the Wireline employees. Working in the Landline side of the business is thankless. Finally, if you are in the top ten percentile of performers, you have to compete for very few spots, and if you are not rewarded within a reasonable period of time, you should go elsewhere. This is why Verizon is a great place to START a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementHistory has shown that during good economies, people leave VZ (nee Bell Atlantic) for better offers. Since VZ compensates most of the employee base well, they keep their employees during recessions, and mistreat them. Employees cannot keep a work/life balance. Now that pensions and full paid medical are a thing of the past, VZ will not be able to keep their talent as the economy improves. I don't believe that VZ's faith in Machine to Machine offerings will make up the difference. If VZ wants to be an innovator, it must benchmark itself with truly innovative companies (see companies with greater than an 80% approval rating on Glassdoor).

Be strong and you will survive

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsPay & benefits. Great people. If you are smart and independent you will survive.

ConsTypical corporate nonsense. Top is clueless as to how the bottom functions. Managers barely speak to their teams. Consistently downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk what are your employees top concerns and help resolve.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!