Verizon Reviews

3.3
2,360 Reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are still good compared to other companies (in 187 reviews)

• If your a mgmt employee there is a good deal of work life balance (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs (in 82 reviews)

• Company is being ruined by upper management No concern for customer or employees (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job at the right time, but limited and rigid career progression

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work / life balance (I was a remote worker throughout my tenure, though that may not be possible with many if not most positions in the company). Competitive pay, but YMMV on initial hire. (I was hired into a senior individual contributor role position).

Cons

Use of internal systems for internal and external customer support are complex and convoluted, with disparate and often duplicate applications being used. This was a result of an assortment of companies being integrated into an already large company. Poor collaboration between teams, though some division / teams may have pockets of excellence. Difficult to mobilize the company because of its bulk.
    Expect a VERY long onboarding process.
    Pay increases were limited (once a year upon yearly review, manager discretion to provide an increase within a 2-4% range depending on goals attained). This was partly due to a poor structure for the consulting services group in general, with difficult opportunities for project based resources to be fully utilized unless you were assigned to an account with a multi-year engagement. This also affects your bonus incentive pay, and while on paper may seem generous, was difficult to using utilization metrics that were set since you were at the mercy of being assigned billable project work based on the sales pipeline, the adeptness of your managing principal to assign you the work, and to a lesser extent your ability to network with project managers to be requested for additional work.
    Training was very limited - There were some good online resources provided, but training budget was non-existent during my tenure there. I was able to attend once conference during my 4 year tenure (a conference I had attended yearly prior to that) and could not get authorization for any classes.
    Some internal tools and apps were absolutely archaic (document management was especially horrible scattered between a various web-centered services and flat file shares).

The company itself has a good vision to grow the top line revenues through cloud, security and managed IT services. However, internal structural and collaborative improvements remain a long way off from achieving maturity. Professional Services especially lacks maturity, and needs better investment at the senior executive level to make it a better enablement group for the products in Verizon's portfolio. Presales and post-sales cycles need to be better integrated. Better tools for collaboration need to be in place given the disparate distribution of resources. Need to get start treating the PS organization as a collection of CONSULTANTS and not simply engineers if you truly want effective consulting practices.

Technical Service Manager

Current Employee - Technical Service Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Technical Service Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training opportunities. Flexible time. Good people to work with.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are limited.

Honestly listen to employees suggestion. Be more proactive.

The worst company to work for; candidates beware

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is not good reason to work here. If you like to get paid to get abused by ineffective managers, this is a great place to work.

Cons

In my 15 year industry experience few years at Verizon were the worst. I've worked for global organization, mom and pop operations, small and large organizations but Verizon got them all beat, hands down, when it comes to respecting its employees. The management style is "stat of the art" 1945 command and control. Only the ass-kissers get the recognition. If you can't kiss the right ass, you're out. I worked in 3 different department during my 5 years and each one was the worst than the previous. You've been warned!

Management is enjoying the strength of network. They are making money hand over fist because of great network (it really is great by the way) but ineffectiveness in their performance management and accountability are going to catch up to them soon. Not to mention HR, a huge shame on the name of HR. All they think they are good for is paper pushing and its sad they even suck at that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

I have been working at Verizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Solid Company in US not in india.

Cons

Bureaucracy, politics, inefficiency. At least in the team I was present.

Hire the right people and maintain intellectually stimulating work culture.

Morale beat down

Former Employee - Bilingual Account Executive  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Bilingual Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Verizon

Pros

Great Benefits program
    *Meeting great intelligent individuals

Cons

*Major abuse of power
    *Bullying
    *Harassment towards women
    *Lack of accountability towards management
    *MAJOR Lack of trust towards HR
    *Micro-management

Prior to the new V.P. coming on board, thing were relatively fine and slightly healthier. The major key players and major talent have already left if not in the process. If it's not broken, don't fix it gentlemen !

Great Company - Union Catered

Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary is Great
    Benefits
    Yearly Bonus
    Great Co Workers
    Telecommute option for some management

Cons

Constant reductions in force
    too much work with less people.
    New Wireless upper Management doesn't understand wireline
    Union

Grassroot with older management employees with a lot of experience. They built this company. Once you lay them off its all done.

Overall, very good experience.

Current Employee - IT Cloud Services  in  Temple Terrace, FL (US)
    Current Employee - IT Cloud Services in Temple Terrace, FL (US)

I have been working at Verizon as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I worked with was very passionate and excited to be at their job.The team I was placed on gave me meaningful assignments and helped bring me up to speed with the rest of the team.

Cons

The physical work place was pretty empty. The company allows employees to work from home a couple days a week so the office can get pretty empty.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Milano (Italy)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milano (Italy)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Homeoffice, great work/life balance, various skills and knowledges to acquire

Cons

biz trips not always allowed, training on the job only for high level customers, hand over not always available. The employer is good but some directors are only focused on their own carriers, not for the teams they manage. Smetimes you find yourself alone, without information what's going on. There is not a real career development in fact, not a real training path for vendors we support.

Embrace your teams's suggestions: create the right mood , allow biz travel and training on the job on various countries , it is the most effective way to create loyalty and improve skills and engagement

Huge company, experiences will vary wildly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Basking Ridge, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have had a good experience so far with my group. However, Verizon is a HUGE company, and I have seen plenty of both good and bad experiences elsewhere. This is a huge company with 10+ divisions, and each division is compromised of many more groups. I would consider them all very different companies, with only the shared experiences of dealing with the same central administration.

Cons

Typical bloated, big company disorganized mess in many respects (HR, IT, administration in general), all coupled by the fact that wireless being massively profitable gives them a big cushion. Everything is really political, and too many people care about accumulating power as an end in itself instead of accomplishing things and working together.

Start looking to actually innovate instead of studying best practices and reacting to decisions made by other companies.

New to Company

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant  in  Dulles, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Dulles, VA (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

My team are thoughtful, encouraging and eager to help me be a successful and valued part of the company! So far so good....

Cons

Too early to say but I am sure there will be some.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!