Verizon

3.1 2,046 reviews

Verizon President & CEO Lowell McAdam

Lowell McAdam

2,046 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "excellent pay and benefits for the type of work performed"
    in 165 reviews
  • "Good company to work for with good potential for career growth and good benefits"
    in 192 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a very flexible working schedule to meet today's work/life balance needs"
    in 69 reviews
  • "Management cannot do their jobs due to idiotic Upper Management fiascos"
    in 73 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good job at the right time, but limited and rigid career progression

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work / life balance (I was a remote worker throughout my tenure, though that may not be possible with many if not most positions in the company). Competitive pay, but YMMV on initial hire. (I was hired into a senior individual contributor role position).

ConsUse of internal systems for internal and external customer support are complex and convoluted, with disparate and often duplicate applications being used. This was a result of an assortment of companies being integrated into an already large company. Poor collaboration between teams, though some division / teams may have pockets of excellence. Difficult to mobilize the company because of its bulk.
Expect a VERY long onboarding process.
Pay increases were limited (once a year upon yearly review, manager discretion to provide an increase within a 2-4% range depending on goals attained). This was partly due to a poor structure for the consulting services group in general, with difficult opportunities for project based resources to be fully utilized unless you were assigned to an account with a multi-year engagement. This also affects your bonus incentive pay, and while on paper may seem generous, was difficult to using utilization metrics that were set since you were at the mercy of being assigned billable project work based on the sales pipeline, the adeptness of your managing principal to assign you the work, and to a lesser extent your ability to network with project managers to be requested for additional work.
Training was very limited - There were some good online resources provided, but training budget was non-existent during my tenure there. I was able to attend once conference during my 4 year tenure (a conference I had attended yearly prior to that) and could not get authorization for any classes.
Some internal tools and apps were absolutely archaic (document management was especially horrible scattered between a various web-centered services and flat file shares).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company itself has a good vision to grow the top line revenues through cloud, security and managed IT services. However, internal structural and collaborative improvements remain a long way off from achieving maturity. Professional Services especially lacks maturity, and needs better investment at the senior executive level to make it a better enablement group for the products in Verizon's portfolio. Presales and post-sales cycles need to be better integrated. Better tools for collaboration need to be in place given the disparate distribution of resources. Need to get start treating the PS organization as a collection of CONSULTANTS and not simply engineers if you truly want effective consulting practices.

Technical Service Manager

Technical Service Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTraining opportunities. Flexible time. Good people to work with.

ConsOpportunities for growth are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly listen to employees suggestion. Be more proactive.

The worst company to work for; candidates beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is not good reason to work here. If you like to get paid to get abused by ineffective managers, this is a great place to work.

ConsIn my 15 year industry experience few years at Verizon were the worst. I've worked for global organization, mom and pop operations, small and large organizations but Verizon got them all beat, hands down, when it comes to respecting its employees. The management style is "stat of the art" 1945 command and control. Only the ass-kissers get the recognition. If you can't kiss the right ass, you're out. I worked in 3 different department during my 5 years and each one was the worst than the previous. You've been warned!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is enjoying the strength of network. They are making money hand over fist because of great network (it really is great by the way) but ineffectiveness in their performance management and accountability are going to catch up to them soon. Not to mention HR, a huge shame on the name of HR. All they think they are good for is paper pushing and its sad they even suck at that.

Analyst

I have been working at Verizon full-time for less than a year

ProsSolid Company in US not in india.

ConsBureaucracy, politics, inefficiency. At least in the team I was present.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people and maintain intellectually stimulating work culture.

Morale beat down

Bilingual Account Executive (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Verizon

ProsGreat Benefits program
*Meeting great intelligent individuals

Cons*Major abuse of power
*Bullying
*Harassment towards women
*Lack of accountability towards management
*MAJOR Lack of trust towards HR
*Micro-management

Advice to Senior ManagementPrior to the new V.P. coming on board, thing were relatively fine and slightly healthier. The major key players and major talent have already left if not in the process. If it's not broken, don't fix it gentlemen !

Very Good Company(based on income)

Cable Splicing Technician (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are better than most. Pay is very good, considering that with overtime, my annual income is usually increase by 40 - 50%.

ConsAn 'us against them' enviroment exists between management and associates. The job functions rarely change, however, new 'hurdles' or requirements are constantly being instituted(it seems like every two months someone has to justify their job by creating a new irrelavent rule). Quick to implement meaningless policys, slow to recognize and satisy the desires of the customer. Good customer service is not a priority, stockholder satisfaction is the priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are in constant contact with the consumers, as a result we often have excellent suggestions on how to improve the customer experience. However our suggestions fall on deaf ears. Management seems to have the impression that verizon is a success because they manage so well. Verizon and Verizon Wireless were built on the backs of thier associates.

Excellent earning and growth potential

Senior Engineer Network Engineering (Current Employee)
Basking Ridge, NJ (US)

I have been working at Verizon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent pay and benefits and vacation policy

ConsRifs happen yearly based on needs of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to those folks on the front line managing the networks when they tell you a particular technology is not a good idea.

Pretty decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Verizon full-time

ProsGood pay, Strong Brand and a wide range of solutions to sell

ConsLeadership, Very complex and confusing internal systems and process ( Verizon has grown tremendously through acquisitions, so it's understandable. There are so many disparate teams, systems and processes that it's a nightmare navigating it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify Verzion Enterprise Solutions. Make it easier for employees to actually do their jobs, instead of wasting time in navigating internal structures and systems.

very good experience, great job

I have been working at Verizon full-time

ProsThe pay is great, and the beneits.

Consthe hours are a bit rough

Great Benefits and Great Pay but....

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Verizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits, and pay.

ConsVery Limited growth, there is the constant battle between management and Union, and they both have their vested interests, unfortunately the employee is not on that list of interests. Management, like in most environments is OK, however they are limited as to the scope of what they can do. Since it is a union shop, whenever special assignments become available, they are assigned by seniority; therefor, the most deserving candidate for the position does not get the assignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more diversity in job assignments and open up more movement within the company. DO NOT limit movement to seniority.

Worked for Verizon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verizon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam. All 2,046 reviews are posted anonymously by Verizon employees.