Verengo Solar

Updated 18 November, 2014
4.0

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Been here for 6 months

Current Employee - SSA Solar Site Assessor in Ventura, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SSA Solar Site Assessor in Ventura, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Professional, growing company. Pays well. Great job security (as far as the solar industry is concerned). The company works to improve its employees, as opposed to letting them go on a regular basis to hire new ones.

Cons

Like any competitive industry, they can demand a lot from you.

Create more room for advancement within the company.

Liked Working Here

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a Sales Rep working for Verengo. They are doing it the right way. Really good leadership in sales. They ask a lot of their sales team but treat you well in return. I got good leads and made good money, but left because of the hours. I really liked their emphasis on honesty and treating customers well.

Cons

Its all about the hours. Sales reps have to grind here. Lots of evenings and youll need to work weekends to get good leads and make good money (nature of the business - we need to run leads when homeowners are available to meet with us)

heard about recent changes where verengo is focusing more of its efforts in profitable markets and is now using inside sales for less profitable markets. makes good sense. also, please consider providing company vehicles for reps.

Be careful...

Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company used to have a positive, friendly, warm atmosphere....and then the lay offs started and continued for 2+ years.

Cons

Inconsistent strategy, poor upper level leaders (Senior VPs, CEO, etc.) that treat people like a number and not like a person. This is a cut-throat company, regardless if you are performing, you can be replaced at any moment as evidenced by the repeated lay offs each year (and 2 in the past 60 days). If you want to be treated like a valueless commodity, this is a great spot for you.

If the strategy that is not working leads to a layoff, change your approach and your strategy. Cutting heads 1-2 times per year and making no changes to your plan will only result in the repeated action year after year. The employees are fearful each day they arrive at work, not knowing if this is the day they get let go.

Very Exciting Future

Current Employee - Installation Foreman in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Installation Foreman in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Verengo is a great place to work! Everyone is super smart and hard-working. It's a very young company with lots of energy. Management is transparent and very approachable.

Cons

It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone.

If you want to be underpaid, work here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great job for someone without sales skills because they pay you $15/hour to sit there and won't give you many leads the first 90 days.

Cons

3 weeks of training. 3 months of a cap on earnings set at $5000/month. No one in the company can explain to you how commissions are paid on leases. In the interview process they will tell you it is too complex to explain. Once I was working for the company, they have a complex 5 page document explaining how commissions are paid. After working there a while, the numbers panned out to be some of the lowest per KW payouts of any solar company in the industry. A lot of local AZ solar companies will pay double to triple the commissions for an equivalent size system, and you won't be stuck at an office in a cubicle from 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri with a half hour lunch break. Another con is they have outside sales teams and the inside sales team in Phoenix. The outside sales reps get all the better leads, and inside sales gets the leads that they don't want to send outside sales reps to. If you are weary of this statement, it came directly from the people that dispatch the leads!!! Average rep in the company makes 65K to 75K, with only 2 reps making over 100K. The two reps making over 100K do it mainly off of referral business off their database built from working there over 3 years, therefore for incoming reps to make a 6 figure income is an impossibility, which is unfortunate because with many other companies, it is easy to make a 6 figure income as a newbie and not have to go through a 3 week training process.

don't believe the hype - the 4+ star rating is just an internal PR scam

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity to make an ok living, not great, just ok
    get experience in the still excitingly fresh solar industry
    good initial training

Cons

Beware - Verengo employees are constantly encouraged to submit positive reviews on websites like Glassdoor to make the co look better ... seriously!

absolutely no work-life balance and the company truly doesn't live up to its values
    pay is sub par when compared to most other major solar companies around
    serious lack of communication from top down with too much secrecy and behind closed doors dealings
    no real appreciation for the employees on the front lines
    impossible to get quick answers or real support from anyone
    overly complicated pay structure that no one seems to understand or able to explain how a rep gets paid
    upper management not interested or willing to listen to suggestions from the field or shall we say cries for help
    Im not even going to mention the poor customer service ... what a giant headache!
    the whole company seems so poorly ran that I don't even know how they managed to pull it off for so long LOL

stop worrying so much about the image and start actually taking care of your employees

MUST READ: Don't be fooled by positive reviews

Former Employee - Customer Care in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours if you need to leave for a doctors appointment you can make up that time within the week. The employees that work there have a sense of family and take care of one another.

Cons

Unannounced MASSIVE layoff on all levels. Hundreds of people were layed off to "cut the fat." Best leaders were let go leaving the Good Ole Boys that drink the company's koolaid. Parties and 'RAH RAH' weekly egofest still carry on while many people are being let go. One word: TACKY. If I could leave a zero rating I would. Do not buy into the reviews left by management. Stay far, far away.

No words....

Bold Moves

Current Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

finally! Leadership got smart and found a really good strategic partner and made some tough but necessary decisions about how we operate in expansion markets. I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're going.

Cons

very competitive industry puts pressure on the bottom line and one of the big competitors (sunrun) does things unethically

I've been waiting for this type of bold move for almost two years and was wondering if it would ever happen. My confidence is high.

Positive Company in Every Way

Current Employee - Recruiter in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is truly a positive company, from the company culture, team atmosphere, forward thinking, do well and good for everyone and everything. I love the opportunities here and it seems that we have only started to see where our company and industry as a whole is heading. The company values its customers, the employees, the community, and of course the world as we are part of finding solutions for the global energy crisis.

Cons

There are times where there is a lack of transparency from Management to their teams. Probably because there are some big changes in the midst but it can feel a bit unsettling to not know what is happening behind closed doors.

Talking to your staff promotes trust. This is the principle we are founded on. Trust that we can handle the truth and disclose more information up front. :)

Financial disaster. Keep telling everyone it's going to get better

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other employees are doing their best with little guidance. I have huge respect for those employees who continue to do their jobs during mass firings.

Cons

Over 60% turnover while I was there. Closing offices in markets. No support, Huge favoritism, phony glass door reviews, poor leads. Telling employees who were just hired your costs are too high firing them while at the same time training more new employees

Stop firing good people because you can't make the business profitable. It takes at least 90 days to figure out the job. So why are you hiring people wasting their time and your money if you don't give them a chance.