Verengo Solar

Updated 18 October, 2014
4.1

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• Competitive pay, great structure, awesome company culture that really emphasizes the team (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Liked Working Here

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a Sales Rep working for Verengo. They are doing it the right way. Really good leadership in sales. They ask a lot of their sales team but treat you well in return. I got good leads and made good money, but left because of the hours. I really liked their emphasis on honesty and treating customers well.

Cons

Its all about the hours. Sales reps have to grind here. Lots of evenings and youll need to work weekends to get good leads and make good money (nature of the business - we need to run leads when homeowners are available to meet with us)

heard about recent changes where verengo is focusing more of its efforts in profitable markets and is now using inside sales for less profitable markets. makes good sense. also, please consider providing company vehicles for reps.

Very Exciting Future

Current Employee - Installation Foreman in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Installation Foreman in Anaheim, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Verengo is a great place to work! Everyone is super smart and hard-working. It's a very young company with lots of energy. Management is transparent and very approachable.

Cons

It's a very competitive and fast-paced environment, may not be suitable for everyone.

don't believe the hype - the 4+ star rating is just an internal PR scam

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity to make an ok living, not great, just ok
    get experience in the still excitingly fresh solar industry
    good initial training

Cons

Beware - Verengo employees are constantly encouraged to submit positive reviews on websites like Glassdoor to make the co look better ... seriously!

absolutely no work-life balance and the company truly doesn't live up to its values
    pay is sub par when compared to most other major solar companies around
    serious lack of communication from top down with too much secrecy and behind closed doors dealings
    no real appreciation for the employees on the front lines
    impossible to get quick answers or real support from anyone
    overly complicated pay structure that no one seems to understand or able to explain how a rep gets paid
    upper management not interested or willing to listen to suggestions from the field or shall we say cries for help
    Im not even going to mention the poor customer service ... what a giant headache!
    the whole company seems so poorly ran that I don't even know how they managed to pull it off for so long LOL

stop worrying so much about the image and start actually taking care of your employees

Bold Moves

Current Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

finally! Leadership got smart and found a really good strategic partner and made some tough but necessary decisions about how we operate in expansion markets. I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're going.

Cons

very competitive industry puts pressure on the bottom line and one of the big competitors (sunrun) does things unethically

I've been waiting for this type of bold move for almost two years and was wondering if it would ever happen. My confidence is high.

Positive Company in Every Way

Current Employee - Recruiter in Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is truly a positive company, from the company culture, team atmosphere, forward thinking, do well and good for everyone and everything. I love the opportunities here and it seems that we have only started to see where our company and industry as a whole is heading. The company values its customers, the employees, the community, and of course the world as we are part of finding solutions for the global energy crisis.

Cons

There are times where there is a lack of transparency from Management to their teams. Probably because there are some big changes in the midst but it can feel a bit unsettling to not know what is happening behind closed doors.

Talking to your staff promotes trust. This is the principle we are founded on. Trust that we can handle the truth and disclose more information up front. :)

Financial disaster. Keep telling everyone it's going to get better

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other employees are doing their best with little guidance. I have huge respect for those employees who continue to do their jobs during mass firings.

Cons

Over 60% turnover while I was there. Closing offices in markets. No support, Huge favoritism, phony glass door reviews, poor leads. Telling employees who were just hired your costs are too high firing them while at the same time training more new employees

Stop firing good people because you can't make the business profitable. It takes at least 90 days to figure out the job. So why are you hiring people wasting their time and your money if you don't give them a chance.

HORRIBLE WORKPLACE

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Fresno, CA (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

money is great if you sell a lot of systems.

Cons

no communication from upper management, all managers only care if you sell. if you are struggling they will not hesitate on firing you. i was one of the top performers(top 5) in company but still they didnt hesitate to warn me or our whole team that they were shutting us down and close shop. Verengo wont care about you or your family and better to work for a different company who wants to keep loyal employees.

too much ugly to get into.

Abandoning their commitment to the employee to expand the business.

I have been working at Verengo Solar

Pros

Great income potential for lower level employees.

Cons

Employees are disposable. No loyalty to the workforce.

You had to know for months that you were accepting money from a private investor. To blindside your workforce with a no notice layoff contradicts the culture that made your company so great to work for. Obviously Verengo is and will continue to be successful, but to potentially destroy the lives of those that brought you to this point is shameful. Don't you think that they at least deserved some sort of notice?

Outside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The sales training was quite good. Good mission and product. Provided some great tools. Good values on paper. Weekly pay schedule. If you can find the right person in the company, things usually get taken care of. Good product and service personnel.

Cons

Huge disconnect between training and actual job duties and reality. Very little internal communication between departments. Questions? Its almost impossible to get answers about very simple things. Once in a while, you may luck out and someone will actually be able to answer your question. By far, the biggest issue is that this company is wasting a huge amount of money by keeping reps in the car driving long distances visiting unqualified leads, instead of prospecting and in front of ready to purchase customers. people in many departments seem to "do their job" but the organization has very little coordination. You cannot plan your schedule because the company leads come in late the night before. Old software tools, so many bugs and greatly reduces efficiency and ultimately costs so many sales because increases the turnaround time with customer. No real customer communication process beyond the lead acquisition stage-the sales reps are required to jump through so many hoops just to sign a contract with a customer.

Decide on where you want to go and sell the company. You need to streamline your operations and re-design/re-evaluate your sales process, if yo want to survive in this highly competitive environment.

Ok Company to Work For

Former Employee - Deal Review Analyst in Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Deal Review Analyst in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Very Flexible Schedules
    - Exciting bonus
    - Work from Home opportunity
    - room for growth with a clause

Cons

- no job security, can be fired at anytime
    - you put in your all and dont get recognized
    - company only care about meeting their target and nothing else
    - too much work for little pay
    - over worked staff
    - you have to be mean to get promoted