Verengo Solar

Updated 15 September, 2014
4.4

Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop
Randy Bishop

Pros
  • Great Work Environment - Fast paced work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 8 reviews)

• work environment with a Family feel to the company, not a corporate juggernaut (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • What they disguise as growing and fast paced is mass confusion and chaos (in 5 reviews)

• growing pains and finding balance gets to be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Bold Moves

Current Employee - Manager  in  Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

finally! Leadership got smart and found a really good strategic partner and made some tough but necessary decisions about how we operate in expansion markets. I'm cautiously optimistic about where we're going.

Cons

very competitive industry puts pressure on the bottom line and one of the big competitors (sunrun) does things unethically

I've been waiting for this type of bold move for almost two years and was wondering if it would ever happen. My confidence is high.

Positive Company in Every Way

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Torrance, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is truly a positive company, from the company culture, team atmosphere, forward thinking, do well and good for everyone and everything. I love the opportunities here and it seems that we have only started to see where our company and industry as a whole is heading. The company values its customers, the employees, the community, and of course the world as we are part of finding solutions for the global energy crisis.

Cons

There are times where there is a lack of transparency from Management to their teams. Probably because there are some big changes in the midst but it can feel a bit unsettling to not know what is happening behind closed doors.

Talking to your staff promotes trust. This is the principle we are founded on. Trust that we can handle the truth and disclose more information up front. :)

Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sales training was quite good. Good mission and product. Provided some great tools. Good values on paper. Weekly pay schedule. If you can find the right person in the company, things usually get taken care of. Good product and service personnel.

Cons

Huge disconnect between training and actual job duties and reality. Very little internal communication between departments. Questions? Its almost impossible to get answers about very simple things. Once in a while, you may luck out and someone will actually be able to answer your question. By far, the biggest issue is that this company is wasting a huge amount of money by keeping reps in the car driving long distances visiting unqualified leads, instead of prospecting and in front of ready to purchase customers. people in many departments seem to "do their job" but the organization has very little coordination. You cannot plan your schedule because the company leads come in late the night before. Old software tools, so many bugs and greatly reduces efficiency and ultimately costs so many sales because increases the turnaround time with customer. No real customer communication process beyond the lead acquisition stage-the sales reps are required to jump through so many hoops just to sign a contract with a customer.

Decide on where you want to go and sell the company. You need to streamline your operations and re-design/re-evaluate your sales process, if yo want to survive in this highly competitive environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Company to Work For

Former Employee - Deal Review Analyst  in  Torrance, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Deal Review Analyst in Torrance, CA (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very Flexible Schedules
    - Exciting bonus
    - Work from Home opportunity
    - room for growth with a clause

Cons

- no job security, can be fired at anytime
    - you put in your all and dont get recognized
    - company only care about meeting their target and nothing else
    - too much work for little pay
    - over worked staff
    - you have to be mean to get promoted

great work place flexible management

Current Employee - TSR  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - TSR in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fact that there is the upward mobility within the infra- structure and the fact that they are flexible with making up work hours are two very positive attributes of the company

Cons

Constant change and guidelines are always in a state of flux

Try to make sure all levels of management are on same page. When there is policy change there is a lack of communication to all involved parties.

A fascinating opportunity in a growing business segment.

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, expense and draw structure.

Cons

Communication is sorely lacking but somewhat expected for a <5 year old company. Especially from National Sales Mgr.

Expectations, promises and values do not match the practices.

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Their stated concept and story was compelling. Their stated core values are solid and well stated. I meet several employees who seemed very happy, responsive and helpful.

Cons

The lack of structure and follow through in the sales training become evident as time exposed. The operations side was in constant disarray, which they referred to as being dynamic. The sales methods are hard boiled. On many occasions leads are not qualified for the product being offered. Some of the mid level leaders were passive aggressive, overtly aggressive and sometimes child like. Opportunities were not delivered as promised, which they turned into personal shortcomings. I was very disenchanted with my experience and felt it was extremely unfair. I received similar feedback from many others in similar positions.

Hire people that reflect the stated Verengo values and design your programs accordingly. Educate representatives about competition. Don't speak ill of your former business partners, competitors or past employees; its very unprofessional. Develop and invest in your talent. Support their growth without ridicule or subversive actions. Trust your representatives with the information necessary to prosper and know with proper support, ongoing training and good leadership they can deliver a wonderful product to the public.

Fun

Current Employee - Canvasser  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Canvasser in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of great, encouraging people who really want to see you succeed .

Cons

Not stable, portals hardly ever work. Gets very discouraging and you can lose your job very quickly . This job is not for just any one.

Need more bilingual people in call centers.

Good

Current Employee - Canvasser  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Schedule (Five Words Now?)

Cons

Get results or you are out.

None

A lot of good people, but the company is struggling to meet its growth goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company put on quarterly events for employees, and gave awards for outstanding performance. Human Resources was generally responsive.

Cons

First you need to understand why companies like Verengo, and it's many competitors like Solar City have sprung up overnight since 2009. Current solar technology cannot generate a kilowatt hour of electricity as cheaply as you can buy it off of the grid. Residential installations typically cost upwards of $50,000 and the panels lose 1% of their efficiency per year. But in 2009 a 30% federal tax credit was passed and in some states the utility companies were forced into guaranteed electricity buy-back programs which spawned the current solar panel sales boom in those states ie California. Barring a great leap in panel technology, once the current tax credits expire in 2017, the industry may shut down as quickly as it started unless the tax credits are extended, a very iffy proposition. Because of the high up-front cost, Verengo structures most of the deals as 20 year leases. As long as you see the big picture going in, Verengo can be a decent place to earn a living and pick up some valuable work experience for as long as it lasts.

I worked in the Phoenix office for one year. The office contains the telemarketing call center and IT management. The main office is in Torrance, California. It's worthy to note that Verengo has worked very hard at a public relations campaign to promote itself as a "best place to work". Recently the company made CareerBuilder.com's list of "Top Companies to Work for in Arizona". This was after a carefully organized internal campaign to get employees to respond favorably to the CareerBuilder.com annual survey. The local media, most notably reporters and photographers from the Arizona Republic, were present at a recent Wednesday afternoon sales rally, known as a "rah-rah" for the award presentation.

While Verengo certainly wasn't the worst employer I've ever worked for, the well crafted public image often doesn't match up with reality. Salaried personnel are often expected to work long hours of uncompensated overtime and to check and respond to emails and texts when away from the office. Many middle level managers work 7 days a week. Employee turnover was common. You might see a sales manager leading a Wednesday "rah-rah" pep rally, extolling the virtues of the company, and then be gone the next day. Some people were swept out abruptly, leaving in tears. At a Wednesday "rah-rah" in early January of 2013, management announced that all employees would be forced to take one unpaid furlough day per month, and use one day of vacation. We were told to never reveal this to the outside world. It might tarnish the carefully crafted public image.

To be fair, there are a lot of fine, hard working people at Verengo. Your experience will depend on your attitude and work ethic of course, but also on who you have as a manager. My hope for all the good people still working there is that the company will survive until solar panel technology improves and the industry can thrive on its own without taxpayer subsidies.

Quit stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Set up anonymous grading for rank and file employees to rate their managers, then seriously consider their feedback.

Worked for Verengo Solar? Contribute to the Community!