Verengo Solar
www.verengosolar.com Torrance, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Verengo Solar Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014

Randy Bishop

Pros:
  • "Growth Opportunities - Very Fast growing industry puts employees ahead of the curve for future job growth sectors in U"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Growing company however it's not easy to advance for more pay"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Exciting Work and Strong Leadership

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsVery interesting work. Solar is still a new industry, so there are lots of problems to solve, processes to improve, opportunities to capture. The leadership team is good as creating a culture that encourages and rewards that type of innovation. I've been promoted twice in just over a year.

ConsVery fast paced - can be challenging to keep up with all of the demands. Systems need to be improved (although good progress has been made over the past year)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring good people to support our growth plans

Solid Place to Work

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of freedom to do what you want; opportunities for career advancement (I've been promoted 3 times in 18 months); good group of people - seems like all of the good character people in solar end up here

Conshard work - Verengo runs lean, so everyone works hard and you are expected to do a lot; lots of changes

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I like the people I work with, but the commission for inside sales is the worst!

Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people I work with are great, we try and make the best out of everyday.

ConsThe commission for inside solar consultants is by far the worst. What other solar company pays you based on the kw rate you sell at compared to the size of the system? You can sell a 40K system and make $50!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet up to date with the times. The commission structure we are using is based on 2 or 3 years ago when the competition wasn't as strong. Now we are bidding against 4 or 5 different companies.

Frustrating experience and long hours

Certified Electrician (Former Employee)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are good people to work with. Compensation is good, mostly due to all the overtime accumulated.

ConsThere is an expectation to work 12-14 hours a day. Being managed by people in AZ about jobs in northern CA. Scheduling of job assignments can be frustrating, you do not know where you will be going the next day until late the night before.

outbound calls to clients

TSR (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat pay and work atmosphere

Consnone love the company great place to work

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A lot of potential

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- casual work environment
- flexible hours (most departments)
- some managers are very supportive, engaged, and responsive to team member needs, aspirations, skills
- willing to take risks on hiring/ developing people who otherwise may not have had same opportunities in other companies
- if you can prove a new function/niche is necessary, a person can almost create a new role within/ among team(s)
- most workplace peers are great to work with, and most team members are very dedicated regardless of appreciation or compensation
- most workplace peers are genuinely excited about solar energy and renewables as a movement

Cons- growing pains (from small company to medium company)
- disorganization - from basic communication to important processes and high-level issues
- some very poor/negative management (at various levels)
- no clear sense of direction of company, or clear sense of "who we are"
- job security (especially around the end of the year)
- lack of cohesion among teams, within office locations and among the different office locations and cultures
- terrible health insurance options
- low vacation allowance, few holidays
- expect to frequently work longer than normal hours, even if salaried
- despite being a solar company, no emphasis on sustainable practices in the workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementPotential improvements: clear communication, transparency in direction, training for all teams but especially teams not based in CA headquarters, open up to two-way communication and evaluation (your employees are the best source for good ideas and solutions), bring back the KP health insurance option, prioritize quality over quantity
Continue: encouraging the fantastic managers - use them as an example for management strategies, promoting and developing talent within, encourage cross- department experiences.

Best Place to Work!

Call Center (Current Employee)

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee's are valued by management and listen to your suggestions. Managers are helpful when you need it and are there to answer your questions. Team environment where the employees really get along. Wednesday rah rah's are fun and you get a chance to win money! Dress code is casual.

ConsNone at this time. If you are a hard worker and like to have fun, this is the place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Company to work for

Canvasser (Current Employee)
Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Verengo Solar part-time for less than a year

ProsSupportive team. Good training. Great leadership.

ConsNot as competitive with compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating! Good job!

My review is limited to Outside Sales in the Northern California region.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time for less than a year

ProsThe training is fine, overall. That's as close as I can get to a 'pro.'

ConsI was an outside sales rep in Northern California. This company has zero desire to develop talent and promote reps within NorCal. They are a farm team for their competition. There is a revolving door of employees in the region because hardly anyone can withstand the antiquated way Verengo Solar does business and how they treat their employees.

As an outside sales rep, you have no idea where you are going to be the next day until the night before around 9:30pm. Dispatching is done out-of-state by individuals who may or may not be in possession of a map. Can you imagine trying to plan a sales week when you have no idea where you will be each day until the night prior? It's not uncommon to be required to be in two places at once and those places are 90 miles apart.

The technology you use to build a solar system and work out the financing would have been barely acceptable in the mid-nineties. CRM tool? What's a CRM tool? Oh, and bring all your own technology, too. That means laptop, phone, air card, printer, accessories, etc.

The compensation plan is an arbitrary draw system by which you request how much you'd like to be paid for that week. If management decides you don't deserve it, you get no paycheck that week. You end up working 12-16 hour days and by the time you do the math on your paycheck, you may be better off slamming burgers at In-N-Out. At least you'd have some sort of control of your schedule and you'd be with a company that believes in you. Plus, you might get a break on the burgers & fries.

In an outside sales career spanning 14 years, I've never worked for a company so uninterested in what its reps in the field have to say. Of course, like any company, there are some good, well-intentioned people within their ranks. But with the industry growing so fast and with so much opportunity elsewhere, I couldn't in good conscience recommend any one with any other options go to work for Verengo Solar in NorCal.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your door and listen to your people. Invest in technology to streamline dispatching. Offer two comp plans from which your reps could choose: one being the current draw system and the other having a guaranteed base, with certain requirements to meet, of course, even if commissions are smaller. In my opinion most people would trade a little of the upside on commissions for a predictable base salary. Perhaps then you'd attract and retain top talent in NorCal.

company review

I have been working at Verengo Solar full-time

ProsGrowing company however it's not easy to advance for more pay

ConsEmployees are not compensated up to market standards

Worked for Verengo Solar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Verengo Solar reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Verengo Solar CEO Randy Bishop. All 60 reviews are posted anonymously by Verengo Solar employees.