Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros
  • They also strive to give you a work/life balance and are very liberal(in 101 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions(in 43 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones(in 13 reviews)

Great company for the right fit

Investment Analyst (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsBig company that doesn't lay people off. Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time. They provide a lot of resources if you know how to take advantage of them.

ConsJob postings are very competitive and it can be tough to move up. You must learn to navigate the corporate culture very well. Benefits are great but salaries for loyal employees are downright insultingly low. It's also a very conservative work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your loyal and tenured employees with more competitive pay. Stop putting so much weight into interviews and do more research on job candidates. Make yourself more available to the employees that follow you

Solid benefits, secure job, low pay

Problem Resolution Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBenefits are solid. PTO policy is pretty generous. They have a good deal with their Retirement and Savings Program, too. They do a dollar for dollar 401k matching contribution, up to the first 4% of your pay, which is 100% vested. They also do quarterly contributions of 10% of your eligible earnings, which are fully vested after 6 years working there. It's pretty difficult to get fired--you have to screw up pretty badly. And they've never had layoffs in their history, so there's definitely good job security. My experience with management has all been pretty positive. Some of the higher ups (like 3 levels above me) don't listen well to the average peons, but that's pretty typical. My direct supervisors have all been pretty good though.

ConsOpportunities are limited, at least at the Charlotte office. They're turning it into a call center. If you work at the Charlotte office, you will either be on the phones, or managing or supporting people on the phones. Across Vanguard, pay isn't competitive at all compared with other companies in the industry. And I've heard that external hires into the same role that I'm in started off with higher pay than me, despite my being more valuable to them by knowing Vanguard's internal systems and procedures.

Fund Financial Associate

Fund Financial Associate (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsCorporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

ConsPay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best to place to work in IT

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

ConsLow pay and not many promotions

Stable & strong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to start a career in the finance industry

ConsNot one to air dirty laundry.

Great place to start a career

Communication Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsGreat people, benefits, starting pay (while lower than other companies) is still better than other industries. You take inbound calls without having to worry about sales goals or product pushing.

ConsExternal hiring brings in candidates that are paid more but don't do a great job once they are here. If you are not in PA you are limited on job growth opportunities.

Solid company with an emphasis on quality and personal growth.

Client Service Representative (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThe team leaders are all great and the amount of training they are willing to give is outstanding. They do take time to get to know you and help with your career.

ConsThe only thing I would complain about is the ridiculous amount of political correctness like the diversity training. I assume all corporations are like that however. The pay could be a little higher but the job security is excellent.

Ethical company, slow growth, but easily could settle down as a career

Flagship Representative (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros- Great people
    - Ethical company - you know you're doing the right thing for clients
    - Uplifting culture
    - Amazing benefits
    - Job security
    - Great training program

Cons- Not an "innovative" culture. Things happen slow around here
    - Slow professional growth
    - Job can be tedious at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet performance dictate promotions, not age/tenure. And, work on better metrics to determine overall performance.

Great culture, awesome start career, just not for me

Client Relationship Administrator (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThis company has a great culture, is very encouraging, welcoming, and inclusive. They make sure you have all the training and support that you need and are very supportive of building your career and getting you promotion opportunities after you've gained some experience.

I felt really comfortable with my team and management and really everyone I came in contact with, and felt very confident in my job role and all the added responsibilities that I gained over my year there. Also, their retirement plan is one of the best I've seen, very generous.

ConsThe only challenge I had was with the actual day-to-day job in itself. I learned in my time there that a call center environment is just not for me and on top of that, I needed more of a creative outlet and not to sit in a cubicle on the phone all day. This was a great place to start a career, but what it came down to is that I ended up realizing that I had zero passion in investments and retirement accounts so I had to move on to something more creative. Really the only cons are the call center environment and the fact that they are a huge, corporate company so it can feel a tad stuffy from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI felt that management was more or less on the ball when it came to training and leading their staff. They were very understanding when I decided to pursue another career path.

Great Place to work. People are engaging and friendly - very smart.

Project Administrator (Current Employee) Malvern, PA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, room for growth for someone coming in at an entry level. Continuing education opportunities are encouraged. It is a multi-generational and multi-cultural working environment. HR is a force there. Team oriented work environment.

ConsTechnology improvements are very slow to materialize. Most technology dollars are used for what the client sees - slow to improve internal systems. Many departments use there own technically skilled staff to build workaround solutions to solve processing issues locally - the risk here is the know how may leave when that staff member moves on to another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply more technology dollars to internal systems. Offer technology budgets at a departmental level.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!