Valmont Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay

Mogens C. Bay

A great company, but not a great employer

Systems (Current Employee)
Valley, NE (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time for more than a year

ProsA solid reputable company. Pay and benefits are very good. Friendly employees.

ConsNeed to reevaluate work-life balance options and flexible and/or telecommute options for administrative employees. Very much focused on this is the way we've always done it, so change happens very slowly, if ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a formal way to develop the leaders and employees. Training should be centralized. Some thought should be given on how to get talented employees on board and retain those that are currently employed.

Great benefits

I have been working at Valmont Industries

ProsInternal opportunities, diverse business units

ConsNot always focused on personnel development

Structures Division

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge employer with decent benifits. Not a lot to speak of last 5 years

ConsOld GM syndrome. Poor senior management, does not value employee's or its customers, product quality downward trending, lots of chiefs to few indians, endless meetings and those meetings take priority over customer needs, industry follower not leader in U.S..

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, your methods are not working. Learn to appreciate experienced employee's and your customers

This is a great company to work for.

I have been working at Valmont Industries

ProsThis is a big company that is a leader in most or all of its market segments but still has the feel of a small company.

ConsValmont would be well served to open communication with all employees. Most of the tightly held communication gets around as rumors anyway.

Great company to work for

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Proscarrer advancment opurtunities are good

ConsAlot of Overtime is worked almost year round

Advice to Senior ManagementProfit sharingcompany wide rather than by division would be a better paln.

Leaders Of Over Commiting and Under Acheiving...

Miracle Maker (Former Employee)
Mansfield, TX (US)

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIts a job with benefits for short term until McDonalds calls.... Some of the people have a vast knowledge of the industry and are hard workers. Leaving that place!

ConsEverything is always rushed without planning, Way too many meetings that accomplish absolutely nothing except wasting time. management expects miracles to happen without much guidence. No room for advancement unless you're in a relationship with someone in management. In my time of 9 years I saw at least 5 GM's and when they failed they were moved to a newly created position to justify their salary. I personally had 2 managers to report to that had no clue what I was talking about most of the time. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Had several employees with positions that were sensless and didnt have a point except to secure that person a job and waste space. Always iffy on the yearly bonus. Quality expected to be at a high level but bought products from intercompany facilities from Mexico and China that did not have to meet expectations and were passed off for being made in the US to deceive the customer. Monthly negative department status reports were falsely changed by management to hide their incompetancy. Yearly pay increases were never enough to cover the yearly insurance increases so every year I made less and less money than when I started there 9 years prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees for are loyal and screaming to be heard! Quit over commiting to reach customer goals to try and make the location shine and then ultimately failing in the end! Quit outsourcing everything and do it in house to pass on the savings to give bonuses to employees who matter. Fire dead weight!

Good company to work for

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time

ProsSolid company with good diversification across several industries, a global presence which helps to cushion the company from economic turns

ConsLots of people with long tenure and memories, not a lot of drive for various locations to leverage their collective size and work together as a cohesive company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping an eye on the past is a good thing as long as you don't live there.

Ok place to work

Helpdesk Analyst III (Former Employee)

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsTo many managers of managers to get something done

Absolutely no opportunity to advance

El Dorado, KS (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReasonable wages for small town

ConsManagement is totally out of touch. Total divide between those in management and those who do all of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Worst Job Experience I've Ever Had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Valmont Industries

ProsA couple people were very nice. Compensation was not great, but acceptable. Benefits were okay, but vacation and personal time was below standard.

ConsNo training or training plan. Was shown a few things then turned over to a fellow employee who was obviously over-worked and over-stressed and who made it clear that training a new person was not on their agenda. The job shadowing portion of the training consisted of watching this person type really fast for four hours with their back turned toward me. I was made to feel like a burden every single day. Imagine trying to learn a new job and not having anyone to direct questions to without feeling like you were bothering them.

Then the over-worked employee vocalized their distress at not being able to handle their work load and deal with a new person asking questions all the time. So management immediately assumed I was at fault for not learning my job fast enough. All of this within the first eight weeks! Unbelievable, really.

The icing on the cake was when they decided to "lessen the load" of the over-worked employee. They had a veteran employee step in to train who was combative, disdainful, downright rude and completely incompetent and unprofessional. This person would become visibly upset and raise their voice when asked questions and look at me like I had just crawled out from under a rock. I've never been treated so poorly in a professional environment. Good riddance.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a corporate trainer. Just because someone knows how to do their job well doesn't mean that they know how to train someone else.

Worked for Valmont Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valmont Industries reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Valmont Industries CEO Mogens C. Bay. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by Valmont Industries employees.