VMware

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.4 1,270 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before (in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge (in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights
1,270 Employee Reviews

VMWARE burington environment - managers abusive ; environment hostile toxic

Phone Support (Former Employee) Burlington, ON

Prosfree training get your VCP and GET OUT
    free food
    i dont work there any longer the place was keeping me up at night

Consabusive managers ; favoritism ; expectations are you work till you drop. Days without lunch as forced to be in phone que 8 hours for days while what normally would be called TEAMLEAD takes over 1 hour lunch or more and is unapproachable for help.
    managers dont seem to get if you have 30 back log tickets you need to be able to do research and work them to get rid of them. Most of the people at the burlington office are afriad of being dragged into a room and walked out. Company has way to many products for current support model it will hurt them. Oh wait it has they layed off AOT of people .. VMwares moto " more with less" good luck people your the less more = more hours in the que more assigned tickets

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up and communicate. Grow up and realize that your buddy shouldn't be hired as a manager when he has no manager skills. Sickening work place.

Communication issues where certain manager abused support engineers then upper managers FINALLY realize years later that specific manager is good with escalations but the people hes abused have been walked out. ANd he was made manaager due to sucking up to Senior manager .. he had no manager training and AT ALL learn as you go ..

Decent salary, stock options, unlimited beverages

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsFun place, free training, free certification coupons

ConsTechnical support can be quite stressful, VMware piles on the support cases

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more importance to employees in technical support as they are the interface to customers

Great place to work

Support Account Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsSmart people all around. Easy to get help from everyone

Consfor some department, there is no clear career path

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consworst management
    no management review
    management bullying
    poorly managed company

Advice to Senior Managementtake an interest in what managers are doing to their employees because there is a lot of unfairness, favoritism, and bullying that you cannot challenge. IT companies time and time again have gone under due to poor management. If VMware continues the trend they are on it wont be long before they are next.

Great place to work, but currently it's too busy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsTechnology ahead of it's time. Great and clear source code. Coworkers to learn from. The perks and benefits are still above average, although have been reduced. Experience here alone will count towards career development.
    Employees are given good personal space and are allowed to be geeks. Wonderful culture.

ConsThe hiring freeze really hurts. Tasks have been falling off the plate like never before. Many people work overtime and can be found after hours in the cubicles without additional pay, this cannot bode well in the longer run. Many employees here work in highly sought-after capacities and can get above six-figure salaries elsewhere, even during the recession. Management must realize this and turn the staggering sales growth into employee appreciation where it matters; increase benefits and hire faster, in pace with the sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding different (indirect) ways to tell already overcommited employees to work more efficiently is particularly bad for morale. VMW still has a lot going for it and the great technology will carry us far despite fewer people in the trenches and worse management. Improve management, make the org charts more like pyramids than diamonds, appreciate employees with benefits similar to sales and things will stay great. You do not want to lose us to the rest of the industry looking for good skill next year, when the economy bounces back.

Great company, still growing

ProsFast paced, cutting edge development in an explosive field. Great talent and campus.

ConsMany, many products; growing in many irections at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus!

Great Place to work..

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

ProsFlexible, not micro managed, results driven culture.
    Unlimited Vacation
    Family First
    3 most innovative company

ConsHaven't found any yet, great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only constant is change, so embrace it and own it. Over communicate...

Top Notch

Senior Director Sales (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsFantastic company that rewards innovation and applauds extraordinary effort. If you are a bit more intelligent than the average bear and you're willing to work hard, then VMware is a place where you can have a big impact

ConsThere were really no downsides to wiring at VMware. The employees are treated extremely well, and its a culture of over achievement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused, but don't stop innovating. If VMware is to continue it's dominance, it must become note than just a server virtualization company.

Good employee benefits, but software development process is behind other industry leaders

ProsThey have really good benefits: decent medical/dental coverage, snacks and breakfasts are frequently provided, they have famous speakers come to campus, there is an onsite gym, lots of educational training opportunities, somewhat competitive salaries, etc...). The culture varies depending on the group, but many groups have healthy and encouraging cultures.

ConsI have been surprised at the slow adoption of industry standards like agile development principals, developers doing thorough testing, and investing in developer productivity. VMware has a way to go when it comes to meeting customer needs and delivering "the right" product. Fortunately, there is strong customer loyalty that seems to make up what they lack.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow top-down leadership skills that drive the right behaviors throughout the company.

Great experience and environment

Recruiter (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsWorking at a leading technology company that is always innovating is a great motivator. Being an R&D Engineering recruiter allows me to see multiple different product teams across our business units and continually work on challenging positions. I get to compare our compensation information to other top tech firms in the Bay are know we are competitive. Culture is a big part of this and VMware's culture is EPICC (Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community) and from my experience the willingness to help others is a common trait. I have not run into many folks with over inflated egos. Work environment is good and we frequently have happy hour events where people from different teams get together.

ConsI have been here for over 3 years now and there are little cons to discuss. We have challenges in many different areas like any company whether large, medium, or small. I can only speak to my experience though.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!