VMware

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.4 1,259 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to take ownership of your own work/life balance(in 55 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,259 Employee Reviews

VMWARE burington environment - managers abusive ; environment hostile toxic

Phone Support (Former Employee) Burlington, ON

Prosfree training get your VCP and GET OUT
    free food
    i dont work there any longer the place was keeping me up at night

Consabusive managers ; favoritism ; expectations are you work till you drop. Days without lunch as forced to be in phone que 8 hours for days while what normally would be called TEAMLEAD takes over 1 hour lunch or more and is unapproachable for help.
    managers dont seem to get if you have 30 back log tickets you need to be able to do research and work them to get rid of them. Most of the people at the burlington office are afriad of being dragged into a room and walked out. Company has way to many products for current support model it will hurt them. Oh wait it has they layed off AOT of people .. VMwares moto " more with less" good luck people your the less more = more hours in the que more assigned tickets

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up and communicate. Grow up and realize that your buddy shouldn't be hired as a manager when he has no manager skills. Sickening work place.

Communication issues where certain manager abused support engineers then upper managers FINALLY realize years later that specific manager is good with escalations but the people hes abused have been walked out. ANd he was made manaager due to sucking up to Senior manager .. he had no manager training and AT ALL learn as you go ..

Decent salary, stock options, unlimited beverages

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsFun place, free training, free certification coupons

ConsTechnical support can be quite stressful, VMware piles on the support cases

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more importance to employees in technical support as they are the interface to customers

Great place to work

Support Account Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsSmart people all around. Easy to get help from everyone

Consfor some department, there is no clear career path

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consworst management
    no management review
    management bullying
    poorly managed company

Advice to Senior Managementtake an interest in what managers are doing to their employees because there is a lot of unfairness, favoritism, and bullying that you cannot challenge. IT companies time and time again have gone under due to poor management. If VMware continues the trend they are on it wont be long before they are next.

Great place to work, but currently it's too busy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, ON

ProsTechnology ahead of it's time. Great and clear source code. Coworkers to learn from. The perks and benefits are still above average, although have been reduced. Experience here alone will count towards career development.
    Employees are given good personal space and are allowed to be geeks. Wonderful culture.

ConsThe hiring freeze really hurts. Tasks have been falling off the plate like never before. Many people work overtime and can be found after hours in the cubicles without additional pay, this cannot bode well in the longer run. Many employees here work in highly sought-after capacities and can get above six-figure salaries elsewhere, even during the recession. Management must realize this and turn the staggering sales growth into employee appreciation where it matters; increase benefits and hire faster, in pace with the sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding different (indirect) ways to tell already overcommited employees to work more efficiently is particularly bad for morale. VMW still has a lot going for it and the great technology will carry us far despite fewer people in the trenches and worse management. Improve management, make the org charts more like pyramids than diamonds, appreciate employees with benefits similar to sales and things will stay great. You do not want to lose us to the rest of the industry looking for good skill next year, when the economy bounces back.

Good company to work with

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsValues the professional, gives loads of training, recognizes effots

ConsNot really high salary though

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSuper smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

ConsIf you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

VMware was a great place to work!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about VMware is the people. Low ego, down to Earth, smart people. People who have gotten over themselves and are interested in working together. Challenging problems - an infrastructure company like VMware is solving the problems of massively scalable services that much of computing/the web will be based on for years to come.

ConsMay not pay as much as competitors. Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge. Getting new ideas implemented takes some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the fluff and BS bureaucracy. Keep it about the work and those who are getting done, as opposed to the people who look busy.

Tech leader - diverse experiences

Director, Product Marketing (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsLearned a lot - grew tons both personally and professionally. The company brand has opened a lot of doors for me.

ConsHard to drive decisions to closure sometimes. As they got bigger, there was a question of where new innovation would come from.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more risk-taking, consider outside-in thinking and cultivate a renewed focus on innovation.

Great culture, fantastic company to work for, but typical large company corporate politics and BS

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

Prosculture
    benefits/perks
    successful company
    don't have to work too hard
    money invested in employees and campuses

Consa lot of people can hide here and don't do anything, tons of dead wood and useless employees

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!