VMware

3.4 1,159 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

1,159 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "There is a work life balance here that I have never had before"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace"
    in 85 reviews
Cons:
  • "You really have to drive your own work-life balance"
    in 51 reviews
  • "over recruitment of middle management who never set foot in front of a customer but know all about sales"
    in 65 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

poorly managed company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Burlington, ON

Consworst management
no management review
management bullying
poorly managed company

Advice to Senior Managementtake an interest in what managers are doing to their employees because there is a lot of unfairness, favoritism, and bullying that you cannot challenge. IT companies time and time again have gone under due to poor management. If VMware continues the trend they are on it wont be long before they are next.

Great place to work, but currently it's too busy

Burlington, ON

I have been working at VMware

ProsTechnology ahead of it's time. Great and clear source code. Coworkers to learn from. The perks and benefits are still above average, although have been reduced. Experience here alone will count towards career development.
Employees are given good personal space and are allowed to be geeks. Wonderful culture.

ConsThe hiring freeze really hurts. Tasks have been falling off the plate like never before. Many people work overtime and can be found after hours in the cubicles without additional pay, this cannot bode well in the longer run. Many employees here work in highly sought-after capacities and can get above six-figure salaries elsewhere, even during the recession. Management must realize this and turn the staggering sales growth into employee appreciation where it matters; increase benefits and hire faster, in pace with the sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding different (indirect) ways to tell already overcommited employees to work more efficiently is particularly bad for morale. VMW still has a lot going for it and the great technology will carry us far despite fewer people in the trenches and worse management. Improve management, make the org charts more like pyramids than diamonds, appreciate employees with benefits similar to sales and things will stay great. You do not want to lose us to the rest of the industry looking for good skill next year, when the economy bounces back.

Great Culture, Great Technology, Great People.

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is an amazing company with an awesome culture. The technology is amazing and the people are so smart and customer focused.

ConsBetter Corporate communications would be appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Corporate communications would be appreciated.

very good

MTS2 (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Proskitchen is good, ppl are friendly

Consbenefit is just so so

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great experience, good people

Director Alliance Marketing (Former Employee)
Concord, NH (US)

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLeading edge technology, great people, great product, good overall experience, and in most cases very respectful of the work life balance.

ConsVery demanding. They also tend to hire out for senior positions instead of hiring from within. It's very difficult to get things done when you are not sitting at the corporate office.

Company that takes care of its people

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of exciting challenges and the opportunity to shape your career
Smart, caring and genuine people who are passionate about their own work too
Concerted effort to ensure core values is a part of our every day at VMware
Beautiful campus in Palo Alto - amazing cafeterias, breathtaking green landscape which tries to maintain the oak and pine trees before the expansion (when the campus is done, it will rival the size of Disney Land!)
The turtle pond...need I say more.

ConsDemanding schedules and workload
You really have to drive your own work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your people and show them you care by being present and supportive

I've never felt so valued as an employee before; VMware not only hires the best, but they really care about you.

Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee)
San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome benefits. Great technology. Extraordinary environment.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the excellent leadership skills and the positive thinking.

Not for interns

Intern (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at VMware full-time for more than a year

ProsGood perks for employees, great compensation package compared to other companies. And a lot to learn technology wise.

ConsInternships are never converted. So don't waste your time and look elsewhere.

One of the best internships in the Valley

Member of Technical Staff Intern (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at VMware as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe University Relations threw a ton of events for interns, including a trip to Angel Island in San Francisco and a wine-tasting event at the San Jose Tech Museum. Lots of free stuff such a computer bag, t-shirt, even pajamas. Work was extremely low-stress and hours were totally reasonable (max 40 per week, sometimes less). Intern housing was fantastic and was great for making friends. Plus, the pay was top notch.

ConsIntern projects wern't that meaningful. A good number of interns worked on testing frameworks or visualizations.

New hire but liking it so far

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent people, salary, benefits, culture. I have yet to run into anyone unfriendly or unwilling to help out. Communication is excellent and there seem to be lots of opportunity to shine here. Internal tools are extensive and technical employees have access to a wealth of internal information and people. The company seems to truly strive for ease of communication and accessibility of information.

ConsThe onboarding process could be a bit more extensive but other than that, nothing negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what you are doing.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. All 1,159 reviews are posted anonymously by VMware employees.