VCA Antech

Updated 24 November, 2014
2.1

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate Greed. Buying up neighborhood clinics, tearing them down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to do what you love with animals but at a price to your well being.

Cons

- low wages or no raises in over 3 years
    - poor management (lack of experience)
    - little training for management
    - terrible hours (either too low to qualify for benefits or overworked with no OT)

The largest veterinary clinic on the north shore will be closing its doors for the final time this fall. It is the latest victim of small-minded, big business thinking.

Capilano Pet Hospital has been a landmark, of sorts, on the north shore: sitting on the corner of Capilano Road and the west bound entrance to highway 1 for over fifty years. It is rare to meet a North Vancouverite who has not taken one of their beloved pets there at some point in their life. It was a thriving and busy clinic for many years. In 2007, Dr. Bob Skinner, the owner and operator of CPH, retired, selling the clinic to Associate Veterinary Clinics (A.V.C.). Already owners of multiple clinics in Alberta and Ontario, A.V.C. brought its profitable business model to the North Shore, transforming Capilano Pet Hospital. These changes did not go unnoticed by clients and staff, alike. In 2012, AVC was bought out by an even larger American corporation VCA Antech, further altering the busy practice.

Despite losing many familiar faces, Capilano continued to be a very successful practice, with a revenue stream exceeding $3 million dollars a year. However, Capilano was failing in other ways: the staff was gradually suffocating under poor management and unfair working conditions. Seeking a resolution to these problems, the support staff formed a union. It was a year long process taking two attempts to certify, after the suits successfully squelched the first attempt. The results were modest. The collective agreement mainly managed to secure the employees’ hours and existing benefits so they could not be removed, as was their previous experience under this management. Although wages were increased, the grid wage is still far below industry standard. Only a few weeks after the collective agreement was ratified Associate Vet Clinics announced to staff that Capilano would be closing its’ doors for good; effectively laying off over twenty support staff and eight doctors.

An aging building combined with a decrease in business was the reason cited for the closure. VCA could simply not afford the costs to relocate or rebuild based on Capilano’s revenue, so they opted to close for good. Perhaps, revenue of over $3 million is peanuts to a company whose enterprise value exceeds $2.8 billion or there is another explanation for this closure. Now that one of their 600+ clinics has successfully unionized, the fear is that more clinics will sign on, especially since they will not have to undergo the lengthy, arduous task of bargaining as did the brave, ground-breaking staff of Capilano. This is petrifying to corporations: united workers take power away from owners and can achieve access to more of the profits. Unfortunately, the flip side of the coin is completely overlooked: Happy, empowered workers are more loyal, more productive and take less sick time; thereby, potentially increasing profits. But rather than allow workers to ensure their rights to job security and a healthy and fair workplace, VCA Antech decided to not only put dozens of staff out of work, but to abandon thousands of loyal clients and their beloved pets.

Difficult Change From Private Practice to Corporation

Former Employee - Animal Care Attendant in Flower Mound, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Animal Care Attendant in Flower Mound, TX (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-good benefits
    -overall postive work environment
    -flexible hours

Cons

-clients are unhappy with change and company is unsympathetic
    -extreme price increase

none

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

Actual location management is great

Cons

Not the "we care about our employees" they claim to be.

Corporate

Former Employee - Receptionist in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pet discount, customers are pretty nice

Cons

Management team
    micro managed
    administrative team overrides medical decisions by drs...strange hierarchy at VCA

Being passive aggressive isn't the best way to run a business. Be up front with your employees, you'll get better results.

Love the job, hate the pay

Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Client Care Specialist in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pet benefits, people you come in contact with

Cons

Extremely low pay for such an expensive hospital, had friend who worked years and years without raise (some even took pay cuts)

you can keep great staff if you pay better, going years and years without a raise is unacceptable.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very comfortable and casual environment, but people still get their work done. Interesting and challenging work without being overwhelming.

Cons

Benefits/Compensation are pretty poor, the departments are each run independently of each other, which can sometimes be good, but in most cases allows that department to work without any accountability.

Laid back

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

VCA is a company that provides a laid back environment. There is not dress code, and it is animal friendly.

Cons

Management have been in charge for a long time. It is very difficult to work with people who does not have vision and who is against changes.

Embarrassed to say I work here

Current Employee - Kennel Assistant
    Current Employee - Kennel Assistant

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the benefits were decent. I did like the 401K plan. However, instead of focusing on quality of care for our clients, the focus is strictly on how much money we make them. Period. It doesn't matter how bad the service is as long as we make the budget at the end of the day. It's ridiculous.

Cons

They cut our staff and cut our pay. The management is conniving, always looking to penny pinch our clients and short change the employees. We have lost so many clients since VCA bought our wonderful little practice that I'm embarrassed to say I work here. Instead of focusing on quality of care, they focus on quantity of clients, no matter how rushed and incomplete the care may be. I am currently researching other job opportunities, which brought to this fabulous little website.

Stop treating your employees like cattle and invest in your staff, not stretch them to the breaking point.

Becoming too corporate

Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian
    Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian

I worked at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay (only as a veterinarian)
    Good work schedule
    Overall, good standards of medicine

Cons

Lack of adequate trained staff (due to poor pay of support staff)
    Increased pressure to use/recommend VCA branded products
    Associate veterinarians have been steadily pushed out of being involved in day to day management issues, even when they are medical based.

Increase pay of trained support staff so they will stay long term. This will lead to more efficient and better patient care and increased revenue.

Loved working with staff

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Seeing sick pets become healthy happy pets again through great medical care

Cons

Very emotional when a very sick or severely injured pet has to be put to sleep.

Stay nice and honest with all associates.

VCA Antech Photos