VCA Antech

Updated 27 January, 2015
2.1

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Good employee discount, a lot of encouragement for staff involvement (in 16 reviews)

• Pet discounts, surrounded by people who love animals all day at the hospital level, so most are dedicated and really care (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate Greed. Buying up neighborhood clinics, tearing them down

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to do what you love with animals but at a price to your well being.

Cons

- low wages or no raises in over 3 years
    - poor management (lack of experience)
    - little training for management
    - terrible hours (either too low to qualify for benefits or overworked with no OT)

The largest veterinary clinic on the north shore will be closing its doors for the final time this fall. It is the latest victim of small-minded, big business thinking.

Capilano Pet Hospital has been a landmark, of sorts, on the north shore: sitting on the corner of Capilano Road and the west bound entrance to highway 1 for over fifty years. It is rare to meet a North Vancouverite who has not taken one of their beloved pets there at some point in their life. It was a thriving and busy clinic for many years. In 2007, Dr. Bob Skinner, the owner and operator of CPH, retired, selling the clinic to Associate Veterinary Clinics (A.V.C.). Already owners of multiple clinics in Alberta and Ontario, A.V.C. brought its profitable business model to the North Shore, transforming Capilano Pet Hospital. These changes did not go unnoticed by clients and staff, alike. In 2012, AVC was bought out by an even larger American corporation VCA Antech, further altering the busy practice.

Despite losing many familiar faces, Capilano continued to be a very successful practice, with a revenue stream exceeding $3 million dollars a year. However, Capilano was failing in other ways: the staff was gradually suffocating under poor management and unfair working conditions. Seeking a resolution to these problems, the support staff formed a union. It was a year long process taking two attempts to certify, after the suits successfully squelched the first attempt. The results were modest. The collective agreement mainly managed to secure the employees’ hours and existing benefits so they could not be removed, as was their previous experience under this management. Although wages were increased, the grid wage is still far below industry standard. Only a few weeks after the collective agreement was ratified Associate Vet Clinics announced to staff that Capilano would be closing its’ doors for good; effectively laying off over twenty support staff and eight doctors.

An aging building combined with a decrease in business was the reason cited for the closure. VCA could simply not afford the costs to relocate or rebuild based on Capilano’s revenue, so they opted to close for good. Perhaps, revenue of over $3 million is peanuts to a company whose enterprise value exceeds $2.8 billion or there is another explanation for this closure. Now that one of their 600+ clinics has successfully unionized, the fear is that more clinics will sign on, especially since they will not have to undergo the lengthy, arduous task of bargaining as did the brave, ground-breaking staff of Capilano. This is petrifying to corporations: united workers take power away from owners and can achieve access to more of the profits. Unfortunately, the flip side of the coin is completely overlooked: Happy, empowered workers are more loyal, more productive and take less sick time; thereby, potentially increasing profits. But rather than allow workers to ensure their rights to job security and a healthy and fair workplace, VCA Antech decided to not only put dozens of staff out of work, but to abandon thousands of loyal clients and their beloved pets.

Senior Financial Reporting Analyst

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Great Working Environment, Managers, and colleagues.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad.

Ok for part time work

Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Franklin Park, IL (US)

I worked at VCA Antech part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I did get a lot of opportunities to do different work and get trained to do different tasks even though I was kennel.

Cons

Even though I was trained to do other tasks, I was never given the opportunity to actually grow.

Not a career

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Decent pay
    Benefits
    E/o weekend off

Cons

High school atmosphere, no team work, high pressure

AP Admin

Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - AP Clerk in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Simple tasks to be performed, and the people are easy going.

Cons

Not any significant ones. Seems like a great company to work for.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Account Payables Superivosr

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Flexible schedule and casual environment.

Cons

Management have been there for a long time. These people are against changes and lack of vision

Great Company, Pricey Benefits, Be Ready to Spend Your Workday Glued to PC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The best reasons to work here are solid company with long-term potential job security in the Corporate Offices. Top Execs are solid and the job perks include company lunches & after-hour fun functions. If you get into the right Department, great place to work. One week vacation to start. Three weeks after 5 years. Very pleasant surroundings. Very pet friendly! You can even bring your pet to work!

Cons

The challenges include very pricey benefits, quirky departmental management with hit and miss communications styles. And if you're not ready to live your life at work glued to your PC for a solid 8 hours per day, then it's not for you. Very word processing, repetitive tasking & spreadsheet heavy workload. Raises limited to max of 4% a year so not much room. 4% rarely given. Lack of effective training and support. If you don't figure it out yourself, be prepared to move on quickly!

Better benefits options with more a la carte choices as payscale-salary gets eaten up by benefits packages. Twice as expensive to provide health, dental & vision for my family compared to previous employer. Covering my family costs $600+ per month!

Horrible - stay away

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Seeing clients with their animals

Cons

Regional Management-Corporate environment - HIGHLY profit driven without regard for employees - poor management

Get with the program and try to dig deeper to find out why your turnover is so high. Teach management how to manage!

Discriminates

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Good CE benefits. 401 k plan, pays professional fees. Health and dental benefits Pays a doctor's commission I you exceed your monthly quota for production.

Cons

I worked at this hospital for 11 years. Once VCA took over I was discriminated against because of my alternative lifestyle. Management continuously harassed me.

Be more tolerant of your employees who are not neurotypical.

VCA Antech Photos