Unum Group Reviews

Reset

1. Boooooo

Current Employee - LTD DBS
    Current Employee - LTD DBS

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Room for advancement
    Any department outside of benefits (& IT from what I hear) is supposed to be great.

Cons

They encourage dishonesty if it makes the metrics measure up they look the other way. The talk about the LTD DBS being the face of this company but behind the scenes they treat us poorly - I've seen at least 5 people go out for nerves in my small area alone over the past couple of years. Management doesn't get what's going on and all they're barking about being "innovative" ends at claims management where the ideas should come to fruition. I'm just keeping my head down trying to get by and pretending their endless initiatives are making a difference. It's become clear creative solutions need not apply. I can't wait to "pay my dues" and move anywhere in this company except benefits - they work us like dogs there. I'm tired of hearing co-workers crying in their cubicles after work.

Advice to Management

You've got a lot of very talented very hardworking very unhappy people managing your claims - you may want to stop slapping around the face of your company.

2. Not the place it was ...

Former Employee - Surrey in Dorking, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Surrey in Dorking, England (UK)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A fabulous training ground from which to move on after a year or so. Great staff on the whole... Nice setting.

Cons

Poor management although senior management continue to come and go, staying a while to say the right things. Seems that staff retention is deteriorating as the influence of the parent company removes all fun. Promotion hard to come by and minimal salary raises.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager III in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Great benefits package, PTO package

Cons

Still feel the pain of the Unum and Provident merger, slow technology changes

5. Good benefits, Bad bosses

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Nice cafe. Good salary.

Cons

Terrible management. Awful people to work for.

Advice to Management

Fire all your senior execs and start fresh.

Always wondering about your job

Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant II in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Good Benefits
    Smart, very dedicated employees
    Low morale

Cons

Continually doing re-orgs. Apparently they can never get it right.
    Always worrying about job elimination
    Very top heavy. Too many AVP's/VP's

The atmosphere is boring but the people are friendly.

I have been working at Unum Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a laid back type of job where there aren't people over your back constantly to make sure you accomplish your task.

Cons

It gets very body bery quickly due to monotonous and repetitive work

Advice to Management

Management was great

Career Killer

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-They promote work from home (to save facilities costs) and have employees technology scattered around the entire country(US)
    -PTO is generous

Cons

Please note that I worked in the IT organization so my review is based on my experience work in their IT organization

-Riddled with politics and if you are an individual who values making a difference, they will beat you down to their level...which is: keep the light bulb on and keep singing praises of your managers.
    -They promote work from home and will even force employees to work from home to save facilities costs. You might think thats a positive but work from home will kill your career progression. I was outright told that in order to be promoted, I have to be in Chattanooga or Portland.
    -Your hard work simply does not matter for promotions. What matters is who you know. For example, i beat out their best technologist in the market for a role we both pursued. This is a guy who was promoted ahead of me on the basis that he was more qualified than i was. I still beat him after his promotion for a role in the market much senior than both our roles (AVP/VP Level) even though he had a director level position and I was one level below him.
    -Expect a directionless and senseless reorg every time they hire a new executive on the IT side. This is because their current executives hire their kind and all this kind knows is umm nothing. So in order to justify their hiring, they attempt to show how smart they are and how they are trying to fix things by conducting a reorg. Every time they do, expect them to not bother asking you about your career objectives or even looking at your resume or asking where they will dump you. They will change your title and throw you in a place where there is absolutely no chance of progression. They just went through one and basically merged several titles and totally destroyed people's resumes. Several of my former peers have called me and are crying right now.
    -The pay is terrible as compared to the market. Why? Although they will hire you regardless of where you are located, they will pay you according to the TN or ME market. So you could be living in NY City and have a director level title, but you will get paid what a Systems Administrator would in NY market. Cost of living etc. don't mean anything to them so don't expect a cost of living adjustment raises. I was with the company for 6 years. My TOTAL raise over 6 years was 1500 dollars.
    -After 6 years at the company, i finally resigned. I rate companies based on a three level scale: Good companies, Wannabe companies and bad companies. This is a classic wannabe company and barely above a bad company. They want to play that we are an excellent place to work, but in reality its drama with little substance. For example, they promote a 2 week training time, but i have not seen anybody who has ever done two weeks training.
    -Their performance measurements are a joke and they use a classic bell curve system. Managers are forced to rank X number of employees in A percentile, Y number in B percentile and the leftovers in bottom percentiles regardless of how you actually perform. One of my managers actually quit because he could not force himself to beat up his team to fit the scale.
    -The business as a whole is somewhat stable and in recovery mode but its still all about cost cutting. Don't believe me? their most recent "future ready" IT strategy meant only one thing: cost cutting...I actually asked them if that was the only objective just to be sure. The answer was yes.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what to suggest to them because they are part of the problem. What this place needs is a major shakeup beginning from the top. There is only two ways thats going to happen. Either A, there will be another IT disaster and some business leader is going to put his foot down and do a overhaul level wipeout of the IT leadership or B, they will hire a senior IT leader by mistake who will not buy into the coolaid system.

Employee-minded HR, excellent corporate culture - High integrity

Current Employee - Financial Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits the company provides are next-to unbeatable. The company goes to great expense to offer their employees some of the best options.
    Some of the benefits include:

On-site locker rooms & exercise facility
    Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance at relatively low-cost to employees
    Free STD & LTD insurance
    $50k GTL for employees
    Free parking
    VERY generous PTO policy (4 weeks, starting out)
    High focus on work-life balance with opportunities for WAH (Work at home)
    corporate policy to match employee gifts to non-profit charities
    Strong focus on recycling (each cube has its own recycling bin)
    Open-Door policy is strongly encouraged, complete with a 3rd-party hotline for reporting questionable treatment and/or behavior
    Professional Keurig machines in each breakroom
    Flexible work hours (depending on which department you're in)
    Well-established and functional performance measurement tools
    Each year the company sends approximately 300 of their top-performing employees to Disney World for free
    Great incentive program (employees can recommend rewards for fellow employees for great work and/or teamwork)
    Strong emphasis on team-work (to the point that sometimes, interaction with your teammates ranks at or above on your performance review than your actual work quality)
    Strong encouragement to develop yourself, both professionally and personally

Cons

Career path can sometimes be difficult for advancement
    Likes to re-organize
    Layoffs every couple years

Good company to begin your career with!

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Benefits.... it's all in the benefits - generous paid time off (PTO), health / dental / vision insurance, and do not forget the short- and long-term disability benefits!

Cons

It is a challenge to move up from an entry level position. Many people need coaching and practicing to be able to successfully navigate the interview process.

11. Benefit Center Admin.II

Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Benefit Center Administrative II in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, process improvement opportunities, training, certifications through company, good corporate environment

Cons

some bad managers throughout my years there

RSS Feed </> Embed