Unum Group

Unum Group Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen

Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, generally provides good work-life balance, some areas provide nice advancement opportunities(in 9 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • anything good you hear about this company is from upper management or a "teachers pet"(in 5 reviews)

• Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem(in 4 reviews)

Good Company, crippled IT department.

Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN (US)

ProsEstablished and very stable company. Decent work/life balance. Decent pay, great benefits, vacation time above and beyond standard. Annual bonus of 6% for most workers, around 10% for senior engineers and front-line managers. Most IT workers are allowed to telecommute or work from home part-time or full time. Large and extremely complex IT infrastructure make it a good place to gain skills with enterprise IT equipment.

ConsThe IT budget across the board has been drastically cut and hiring frozen leaving most all IT infrastructure departments limping along and chronically understaffed. Many IT workers are over worked and stressed out with low morale. Engineers and front-line managers are required to fill out forms how you spend each hour of each day. Different departments are like silos. Communication between departments is minimal or non-existent creating lots of "turf wars" and finger pointing between departments making projects difficult to complete often taking many months or years to complete. Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff. IT staff and Technology seen as a burden and risk. If possible they would outsource everything (again).

Bottom line is this...Unless you're a VP you need to: Know your "place", follow orders, ignore systemic problems, collect paycheck, and go home. Unum is not a place for creative thinking or innovation. They are highly resistant to change tending to focus more on tradition and process rather than value.

Senior IT leaders change names and restructure (re-org) every 18 months sometimes eliminating jobs. Lots of Paperwork and irrelevant meetings. Every year new paperwork is added. Even though there are many layers of middle managers it would be very unlikely to move up beyond initial front-line manager. Most Front-line managers have been with the company at least 15+ years. There is a strong tendency to look outside for senior IT leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would not value free advice. "Credible" advice could only come from someone outside they chose to pay thousands to come in and audit them.

Too much work and too much stress

Disability Benefit Specialist (Current Employee) Portland, ME (US)

ProsThe pay is good and they do have a fairly in depth training program.

ConsThe job isn't really how they represent it and there is a large burnout ratio in new employees. They also tend to change everything around on a monthly basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some stability and communicate more effectively what the job will be. Try to bridge the gap between the training room and the real job a bit better as everything seems to change on a day to day basis.

FMLA LEAVE SPECIALIST

FMLA Leave Specialist (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN (US)

ProsEnjoyed working for the company as they invest in employees and believes in promoting within. The work dress standards are business casual and I did not experience micromanagement. Employees were given the freedom to complete tasks responsibly and on time.

ConsI have no cons to report at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're very open to new ideas and implemented an open-door policy for all.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Organization

Administration (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN (US)

ProsMany opportunities for advancement and training

ConsHas had many corporate changes overall; but what corporation hasn't.

UNUM is a great place to work!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Portland, ME (US)

ProsUNUM puts family first, the people are very helpful and willing to mentor.

ConsI can't think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Loved the company until the Provident takeover.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsGood working conditions and excellent benefits and pay but you really work for them.

ConsCompany is restructuring and cutting back on customer service, as well as all other areas of the company. Constant pressure to bring in new business. Atmosphere is that any employee can be replaced if performance or sales slip. Sales employees sell all products (group/voluntary/individual) instead of being an expert in one line. At the end of each year, you expect another round of downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the company like a fast-food restaurant. Bring back quality instead of focusing only on quantity. With this restructure, you are losing many loyal, knowledgeable, and experienced employees.

Lead Disability Benefits Specialsit

Lead Disability (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN (US)

Pros-Above average compensation
    -Flexible hours
    -Good benefits
    -Good PTO package
    -Good team environment
    -Opportunity to work with other resources

Cons-Constant change in procedures and policies.
    -Difficult to take PTO due to deadlines and turn around time for information received.
    -Difficult to move up

It is wonderful.

ProsThe people are friendly, work is sold, and benefits are amazing.

ConsI haven't found one yet.

Great Benefits and opportunity to make good money

Client Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat office atmosphere with a lot of experience. I love to travel and the role allows me to do that. In addition, bonuses pay out throughout the year.

ConsThe field is often overlooked compared to the home office. In addition, the change in account management has changed and it has been difficult to get some clients on board with that.

Unum Group is a great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, ME (US)

ProsExcellent attention to work life balance on a corporate level (depends on your manager and what department you work for). Great medical, dental and vision benefits, including decent 401k matching, and ability to purchase Unum's voluntary benefits products at a good price such as Group Critical Illness insurance, long term care insurance, etc. 10,000 employees worldwide to network with.

ConsCorporate red tape as at any large company.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!