University of Southampton

3.9

CEO

senior research assitant

I have been working at University of Southampton

Pros

great working environments, managers and colleagues are nice

Cons

you need manage your time well

Great experience but empty during summer

Former Employee - Studentship
    Former Employee - Studentship

I worked at University of Southampton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

engaging work, great work environment, helpful accounting/support staff, free cupcakes!

Cons

not much happening in Southampton during the summer

Relaxed, academic atmosphere.

Former Intern - Placement Intern in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Placement Intern in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at University of Southampton as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Time and support to develop new skills. Autonomous working. Making a difference.

Cons

None while I was there.

Wonderful place to work. High pay. Average work load.

I have been working at University of Southampton

Pros

Flexible working hours, High pay

Cons

Could be stressful when things go wrong

Mainly positive experience, but some negatives

Current Contractor - Research Fellow in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Research Fellow in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Attractive main campus with lots of green space. Good support of interdisciplinary working. Excellent academic and research staff in general. Department heads and deans can be very supportive (with some caveats). Overall I have found it a positive experience to work at Southampton and over the time I have been here there have been substantial improvements in many areas. For example, I think over the past few years the support provided to ECRs has improved a lot, and there is now more focus on research staff development, supporting fellowship applications etc. However, I think you need to be proactive to get the most out of your time here.

Cons

Some excellent researchers are sidelined in a way, because their research is not high impact, or they are not bringing in large grants...even when they are recognised to be the top of their field.
    Opaque and variable practices with regards to retaining early career researchers, but generally not a great deal of job security (although this is similar across academia as a whole).
    The level of attention by supervisors/other more senior academics to things like appraisals or internal review of grant applications is highly variable. E.g. can be difficult to find someone who will give a very rigorous and critical internal review of a proposal.
    Southampton in general is not a particularly nice city, but the surrounding countryside, towns and villages are beautiful and the area in general is a nice area to live in.
    Food available on campus is fairly poor.
    "Staff club" is no longer only for staff. "Staff bar" generally closes at about 6pm.
    General dislike of upper management within the university which reduces staff morale and motivation. In particular VC pay is very high.

Take more notice of what the majority of people that keep the university running want (hint: those are the lecturers, researchers, profs and support staff, not the top management). Reduce the salaries of the top earners.

Lecturer in Soc Sci

I have been working at University of Southampton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly staff in my dept
    Never had problems with management

Cons

Random decisions from on-high can sometimes occur, e.g. changing around all the admin roles at once, or refusing to accept that there is a market price for certain professors.

Great company to work for if you work in one of the offices, not so much in the field

Former Employee - Field Sales Development Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Field Sales Development Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at University of Southampton

Pros

Great company culture, good support, great benefits and incentives

Cons

Field sales is a lonely job where it's difficult to hit targets. Also the company insists on silly 'steps to the call' to employ in a sales conversation which, in my experience, negatively affected my relationship with my customers.
    Also they preach that experience and movement to different departments is both available and supported, however this was not true

Ensure that field sales employees are well looked after and have more team contact time

Great university

Former Contractor - Humanities Assistant
    Former Contractor - Humanities Assistant

I worked at University of Southampton as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

passionate staff, great resources, green campus

Cons

some of the staff in leadership positions (eg: dissertations coordinators) are not the most adequate choices

Good academic staff, poor management and administration

Former Employee - Lecturer in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at University of Southampton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are good academic staff in the university, although many are leaving because of the horrible management.

Cons

The administration act as though the university is there for their benefit, and not for producing research and educating students. Human resources imposes policies on academic hiring that are not appropriate to academic hiring (e.g. not requesting letters of reference until a short list is made). Management, from the rank of associate dean up, is generally full of either people who try to micromanage things without understanding the implications of their policies, or their toadies.

Council should clean house. Rank-and-file employees have completely lost confidence in the upper management. It would be good for morale to actually publicly dismiss the worst of the lot, rather than allowing them to step down. That would restore confidence that someone in charge actually cares about doing things right.

University of Southampton Photos