University of Southampton
www.soton.ac.uk Southampton, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

University of Southampton Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014
University of Southampton – UK – “ECS dept”

Working in academia is hard because of bike shedding and penny pinching.

Research Fellow (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat research, smart people, vibrant students with a willingness to learn and teach you in return.

ConsAdmin. The administration are the slowest, laziest kinds of people. Jobsworths through and through with no idea what the big picture is and intention to figure it out.

The pointless Bureaucracy that is eating academia from the inside out is in full force in southampton.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire HR and Finance.
Start again and under stand that these support staff need to SUPPORT staff...and SUPPORT students... and not act as a barrier every opportunity they have

Pretty good, nice and friendly staff.

I have been working at University of Southampton

ProsGood pay considering not very much prior experiencing needed for the job.
Easy to get references and meet other fellow students and to diversify your experiences.

ConsCant think of many but one of them would be that most of the jobs at Students Services do not help your career in the long run in terms of they are not jobs that oculd help you settle they are rather only good for gaining some experience.

I am a 4th year PhD student in the university of Southampton.

Research Student (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

Prosacademically strong and well funded engineering department. World class facilities.

Consnot enough feedback given. some professors are better than others.

research student in aerodynamics

Research Student (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Southampton full-time for more than 3 years

Prosmany expertise in aerodynamics, great research facilities such as wind tunnel and high performance computing.

Consfood service is not good, student service is not very helpful.

Advice to Senior Managementna

Interesting advanced research opportunities, but limited advancement opportunities

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at University of Southampton full-time for more than a year

ProsReally outstanding research opportunities in engineering and science
Wonderfully diverse student and staff
Collaborative environment
Lively student body and well-organized extra-curricular activities

ConsLike many universities, facing difficult fiscal times. Resource limitations result in inter-departmental struggles and top-down management. The city of Southampton itself is not terribly pleasant, but the surrounding countryside and proximity to London make it more attractive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't penny-pinch to the point that you start taking away even the smallest of perks, like having a microwave in the group kitchen!

OK

Research Support (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton as an intern for less than a year

ProsNo stress, easy job which is relevant to my degree and have attended some interesting lectures.

ConsNot much for me to do sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementFind me more fulfilling tasks.

Engineering Researcher

PHD Researcher (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton full-time for more than a year

ProsGet to do what you want, a lot of freedom. But I guess it's pretty much the same everywhere in a university. Engineering research in Southampton is very well know so there are quite a few industrial corporations going on, that might be helpful if you are seeking an industry move afterwards.

ConsYou are pretty much working on your own, the city isn't the most interesting one in UK. It depends on what your expectations are for a university really.

Convinced me to leave Southampton

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood engineering facilities when they work. Nice central campus with pretty gardens. Generous vacation allowance. Bus station on campus allowing for easy transportation links to city centre, airport, and London.

ConsAdministration does not take ownership of administrative tasks. Line managers are not suitably trained. Work/life balance is poor and is not taken into consideration by management. For early career researchers there is very little chance for future progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on strategy and pay more attention to making staff happier.

Being a researcher at the ORC-UoS

Research Fellow (Current Employee)
Southampton, England (UK)

ProsIn some departments the research environment is very vital and full of ideas. Most of the research/support staff are nice people. Availability of research equipment is impressive.

ConsThe University has dramatically reduced the support staff so sometimes it takes long time to have things done due to overload on the remaining ones.

The University should invest more for keeping their good researchers with longer time perspectives for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould invest in more long term (5 years minimum) employment for research staff to allow them plan and develop their research agenda.

I receive respect for my performance and I am being treated fair.

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Southampton

ProsThe career development opportunities are really good and every line manager is trained to support your personal development. Also, the campus is really nice and multicultural..

ConsSouthampton itself is not so great as a city, but the Univesity offers many chances to meet other like-minded people and organises events to meet them. i.e. there is a a theatre and music hall on campus. not to mention the sports facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease update the website and make it easier to navigate. It has grown so big and some services are not connected to each other. Sometimes one finds a site from before the last update.

Worked for University of Southampton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Southampton reviews and ratings. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by University of Southampton employees.