University of Nottingham
www.nottingham.ac.uk Nottingham, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

University of Nottingham Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
University of Nottingham – Ningbo – “Working conditions of University of Nottingham…”

Professor David Greenaway

Great uni to work for

Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for more than a year

ProsThe whole team are very friendly and a difficult job is made fun

ConsTelephone fundraising is hard as some people do not want to talk

PhD fellowship/ teaching + research assistant

PhD Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe best thing about the university is that it has got prominent scholars in the field, they also have excellent postgraduate support in terms of language and have great courses on

Consyou are treated neither a staff nor a student and you are not treated as an early researcher either, with the lack of support. i have not received any training in terms of where and how to publish my articles. one will not be assigned teaching duties, unless they apply for it which is competitive, and you will only be paid minimum wage, so you have the dilemma, whether to focus on research or gain some teaching experience (but that will consume you a lot of time and energy), you will have the chance of being hired as invigilators for exams, and you will be paid minimum wage too.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue PhD research fellows as research staff and early career researchers, more collaboration between current research and teaching staff and PhD candidates.

Very good place to work for

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time

Prosmulti-cultural, lots of opportunities for training

Consyou have to work your ass off

Lack of managerial oversight, no team cohesion and seriously discriminatory with regards to disability.

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for more than a year

ProsVery laid back in regards to timekeeping and lunch breaks. Research projects are interesting and most students are a delight to work with. University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities.

ConsLack of management, meaning that objectives are not clearly set out and time can be wasted. Training that was promised is never delivered. Disability discrimination is bad, with disabled colleagues being undervalued and excluded from both work and social activities. There is a large 'us and them' divide between academic and technical staff, the fact that most technicians have academic degrees is not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to include disabled staff, leaving them with nothing to do is not making reasonable adjustments. Value your technical staff more and aim to instil this value in your researchers and PhD students. Don't justify practises with 'it's always been done this way', change can be good. Don't offer training unless you plan on delivering it.

Administrative job at the university offices.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for less than a year

ProsPart-time job whilst also studying as an undergraduate student. Decent salary. Flexible hours. Project-oriented tasks and so a sense of achievement when you complete a project. Great managers that take great initiative and also make you feel like you are doing something worthwhile without putting too much pressure on you.

ConsUnderstandably, not much room for progression, because the job was part time. Salary could have been better considering that I was doing more than was in my job description. Also, the university is not so sympathetic towards students who work part-time and have clashes with lectures and seminars.

Malaysia Campus: Do NOT work here (especially if you are an expat)

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Semenyih (Malaysia)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for less than a year

ProsNone, other than the fact that you can put "University of Nottingham" on your CV while looking for a better job elsewhere. I like my immediate department, but I have heard the horror stories of how other departments are managed.

ConsThe administration is a nightmare to deal with – especially HR, which holds a lot of mismanaged power over employees. Faculty haven't been paid on time, benefits are delayed, reimbursement and compensation for professional expenses are a constant battle with faculty administration and HR. When I arrived, the administration didn't even know I was coming (even though I signed the contract many months ago). It took weeks to get an email address, access to moodle, keys to my office, a computer for my office, etc. And, again, every little thing that should be a given for a new employee is a self-advocating battle you have fight with admin.

The morale of the faculty here I could only best describe as "toxic." All of my colleagues seem to have complaint after complaint and most are constantly on the hunt for a new job, which is definitely telling.

The placement of the university's campus is incredibly inconvenient, and don't believe the university website when it tells you that it has "easy access" to KL. It doesn't. Not at all. On average, it takes about 2 hours to get to KLCC via public transportation. It's a campus in the middle of nowhere.

There have been numerous safety concerns on and off campus, and many students have reported sexual harassment, assault, and theft. The security on campus is pretty inept, and don't expect the local police to do anything to help.

The salary is quite low for expats with good qualifications, and only allows for a lower middle class existence at best in KL.

There is virtually no time and resources to do research, even though publications are the expectation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen seriously to the concerns of students, staff, and faculty. There is a great deal of mistrust leveled at management because employees and students do not see any improvements being made.

Something has to be down about the Boustead partnership. They are trying to run a British university like a Malaysian company and there are all sorts of procedural and culture clashes that prevent effectiveness and efficiency.

There needs to be a procedure in place for new employees – especially faculty coming from overseas. Maybe a checklist of things that need to get taken care of? This was the worst beginning to any job I have ever had, and I literally started looking for new jobs the second day I was at UNMC. The management needs to be proactive in making faculty feel welcome and can trust that the university is on their side. Right now, it is exactly the opposite of that.

A great place to work

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou have excellent work-life balance

ConsIt may be very quiet at times

Advice to Senior Managementdo not be too business minded, whatever that means :)

Research Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham

ProsThe working environment is encouraging and relatively flexible. The pay is generous. You may be doing cutting-edge research with leading researcher in the world. You can have access to University facilities such as labs and libraries.

Consyou need to be highly motivated and have a keen interest to make the project through to completion. Doing a summer research probably won't count too much if you go for a job application instead of phd.

Research Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham

Prosa lot of flexibility, opportunities to learn more

Consas it's about cutting-edge research, you need to work hard to make progress

PhD at SPMMRC

PhD (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGenerally an excellent place to work if you are in the right group. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there, most of the academic staff are excellent and very helpful, though some of the newer groups less so. There are lots of MR scanners which are easily accessible and no there is no trouble with getting time to use them. In general I would highly recommend the centre to anyone applying for a PhD in MRI.

ConsPhD offices can be very noisy at times due to the large number of people and generally talkative bunch, this is great for the social side but can be somewhat difficult when in the writing up stages.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a dedicated final year write up office.

Worked for University of Nottingham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nottingham reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for University of Nottingham CEO Professor David Greenaway . All 28 reviews are posted anonymously by University of Nottingham employees.