University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees(in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon(in 7 reviews)

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Events Management (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat environment and great people.

ConsOver hiring and turbulence in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

"The Carolina Way"...not everyones' way.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional atmosphere with colleagues focused on serving the student.

ConsUNC conveys a mindset that is progressive and innovative, but if you dig deep you will find a road block based on old traditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to compensate and value non-faculty members at a higher rate that is currently demonstrated. UNC really needs to establish and execute a Succession Plan for each and all UNC enterprises.

Great research and work environement

Prosgreat place; good pay; good benefits

Consdepends on the department

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good University

ProsGreat Faculty, good environment. Decent Benifits

ConsThe administration is horrible, very entrenched bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the people who don't do anything out of financial aid and administration.

a good neplace to do research

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsI am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

ConsParking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosnice people, nice place, do not push you, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge as an instructor

My job is easy and awesome. Just keep all students, faculty and staff happy as a retail cashier

Retail Cashier (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, meeting new people, loyal customers, very fun environment

ConsGetting a day off when your the main one that opens up in the morning can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better in training their employees

Fantastic experience as a graduate student

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsThe folks at HSRC are great. I learned a lot about bicycle and pedestrian safety. People here are passionate about the center's mission and share that passion with others. They gave me a lot of opportunities to write articles, go to seminars, and do independent research. They respected my suggestions and published my work pretty quickly, which was gratifying. Pay was decent and hours were flexible. One of my supervisors still keeps in touch and gives great advice. Other students and staff were friendly and we often socialized outside of work.

ConsGrowth opportunities could be better. Would have stayed on if I could, but it's very funding-dependent. It's mostly desk work which can become a little dull at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsState of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

ConsYou are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for postdocs looking for the next step.

Welcoming but Management Issues

ProsEveryone works really well together within departments.

ConsManagement does not communicate. There is no job security and if you do not come in at a high pay raise it is almost impossible to be promoted or get a raise. You do work much more extensive then what you are paid. Certain people are in questionable roles that they do not deserve to be in and do not experience any repercussions for questionable actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communicate with your employees and establish an office culture that reprimands those who do not perform appropriately. Make sure employees are properly compensated for the work they are asked to complete. Make sure employees feel they have security within their job.

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!