University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

ProsGreat students, wonderful physical location and campus

ConsState dictates raises so there is no performance pay no matter how hard you work. State employees received 1.2% increase over last 6 years.

Decent place for graduate work

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsBenefits, tuition award. Campus is nice to looks at, there is good public transportation in Chapel Hill. My immediate coworkers and supervisor are nice people.

Consinstitutional culture is disconnected from reality. Undergraduates are prideful tools. Institutional culture is poisoned by focus on athletics to the exclusion of improving the university. That and having a blank check.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess emphasis on NCAA athletics, more emphasis on literally anything else.

Great school, would attend again!

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

ConsHigh student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Events Management (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat environment and great people.

ConsOver hiring and turbulence in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

Environment is great but very bureaucratic, hard to get things accomplished at times.

ProsFlexible hours. great work life balance.

ConsCompensation is low. Little to no upward mobility.

"The Carolina Way"...not everyones' way.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional atmosphere with colleagues focused on serving the student.

ConsUNC conveys a mindset that is progressive and innovative, but if you dig deep you will find a road block based on old traditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to compensate and value non-faculty members at a higher rate that is currently demonstrated. UNC really needs to establish and execute a Succession Plan for each and all UNC enterprises.

Great research and work environement

Prosgreat place; good pay; good benefits

Consdepends on the department

Good University

ProsGreat Faculty, good environment. Decent Benifits

ConsThe administration is horrible, very entrenched bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the people who don't do anything out of financial aid and administration.

a good neplace to do research

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsI am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

ConsParking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

Good University

Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsRespectful employer
    Flexible schedule
    Pleasant university atmosphere

ConsLow pay
    Slow advancement schedule
    Parking is impossible

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!