University of Leeds

www.leeds.ac.uk

University of Leeds Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
University of Leeds – Leeds – “University of Leeds”

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur

Michael Arthur

Professional and driven and a hubbub of multiple talents and backgrounds.

Alumni Fundraiser (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsForward-thinking culture and positive environment where every individual is acknowledged and cherished.

ConsNot as many benefits as one would expect for such a high-ranking institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpot and nurture aspiring and talented professionals.

Brilliant place to work, excellent facilities & staff benefits. Certainly one of the best employers in the country.

Computing Officer (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe working culture is very employee focused, with flexible working patterns being available. Great support available for staff and the facilities (such as the gym) are superb. Excellent holidays and the variety of work means no two days are the same. You meet a broad spectrum of people, from all walks of life and working on Campus is a breath of fresh air. Been at Leeds for five years and enjoyed every day.

ConsStaff can become jaded or institutionalised if they've been working in the same job for too long so not everyone is as enthusiastic as myself. Neither are all the jobs as interesting as my own so I wouldn't say my views reflect everyone's.

The workload can be excessive on occasion, but there aren't many jobs where this isn't true.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to staff could be better from a management level. Sometimes the focus to make ever structure "corporate" risks alienating the people who love their job and do it with passion. The focus should be on lifting up the people who are jaded, not penalising the people who love the institution.

Leeds by name but not by nature!

Senior Administrator (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsMostly very good people. It's a well known institution and is mid-ranking in the UK. The University has a lot of potential, but it needs to up its game.

ConsThe University does not know where it is going. Far too much concentration on strategy with no thought paid to delivery. Senior managers are very ego driven and do not think about consequences of their actions on the staff. Very difficult to get a decision made. Far too much paperwork making all internal processes very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a moment to work out where the University is going. Stop the internal competition which encourages people to stay in their safe little silos. Do something rather than keep waiting to make a decision!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lovely environment (worked at Weetwood sports facilities). Great work colleagues let down by senior management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsExcellent facilities, constantly being developed and improved.

ConsIf you like hockey, even better play or coach the sport you will be in demand and progress in work here. However don't expect a clear and transparent job pathway, Hockey players appear to be head hunted and given jobs. The facilities manager (although competent and efficient) seems to use his budget as a recruitment tool, to progress his own hobby.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to grips with the recruitment and personal opportunities at Weetwood. Scrutinise the accounts! Is this a University to support its current students or past students and weekend hockey? Surely BUCS on a wednesday is where money should be invested and financial support should not go to outside sports clubs.

enjoyable but definitely room for improvement

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsLove the campus, other staff are friendly and helpful and the University promotes a happy and outgoing atmosphere. The University Union is great and everything you need is easily available. University grounds are well kept and simply beautiful in Spring/ Summer

ConsUnfortunately, Temp employees/ contractors/ agency workers are not entitled to the same perks as full time staff. Salary/ earnings are comparatively low compared to other organisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if temps/agency workers were entitled to some of the benefits of full time staff employed by the University.

The best career move I ever made

Post Doc (Current Employee)

ProsLearning, training, experience, good people, relaxed environment, flexibility, reasonable salary.

ConsShort term contracts and uncertainty. Institutes in mech eng are top heavy and ts easy to be ignored. However, you need to look after number one, and get the best possible experience you can before moving on. Bureaucracy is unbelievably bad here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is advice to research councils. Stop/go money and mega competitive tendering for research money is not conducive to steady and collaborative research. It encourages bitter politics and paranoia.

An employer that gives its staff a lot of consideration.

IT Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility of working hours, terms and conditions. Friendly people. So much is given to staff that you are happy to give more back when it is needed without grumbling, like putting in extra hours.

ConsRed tape, bureacracy and paperwork (real or virtual) can sometimes be a barrier to completing tasks or in most cases draws out the time it takes. The academic/management 'hierarchy' can make it confusing who you need to get to make a decision on something. Too many and too frequent reviews and restructures of schools and institutes which result in extended periods of no progress due to financial freezing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisseminate the management structure with the names of the individuals.

a great place to be depending on your department

Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

Prosvibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus vibrant city and campus

Conssome old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas some old habits need to be replaced with new ideas

My experience at leeds University was unique and life changing. I was given a lot of opportunities

PhD Researcher (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe entire atmosphere and environment.

ConsThe organisation and the lengthy time for project leading.

Generally, a lovely environment in which to work, if a bit a bureaucratic behemoth!

Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsSome of the campus is very attractive, although spoiled somewhat by hideous 1970's concrete buildings. The pay is good, and the work varied. As an employee you cross paths with lots of interesting people, and opportunities for networking are good, if you take them!

ConsMany curriculum approval processes are very bureaucratic and lengthy, and so the institution struggles to keep up with the speed of change in the modern age, particularly when compared to smaller competitors. Changes of policy are not always fully consulted on, or well-communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out some bureaucracy, improve communications with staff and potential students.

Worked for University of Leeds? Contribute to the Community!