University of Glasgow

Updated 5 October, 2014
Updated 5 October, 2014
3.6

CEO

Diverse, cultural and family friendly!

Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've experienced great leadership at College and School level. As someone with a new young family, I feel very supported and accommodated.

Cons

It is a large institution which has its own challenges however senior management and leadership structures within the Colleges and Schools appear to work hard to minimise these.

Continue to support those employees who require flexibility around working arrangements while their families are young. When decisions are made that affect staff be sure to communicate the outcome in a timely fashion.

Fun, some administrative annoyances as with most jobs

Former Employee - PhD Student
    Former Employee - PhD Student

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's in a great location, the campus is really pretty, the cheap gym access as a student is great and there are lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. The department I worked in was full of interaction between research groups and encouraged co-operation between them.

Cons

The weather is not great...! Sometimes it felt like it lacked a great structure for addressing employee concerns about management. Some of the line managers could do with a little more formal training in people management, to make life easier and professional interactions smoother for all concerned.

Senior management can hamper progress rather than nurture it, this of course is strictly confined to the individual.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

An ancient, well-known, well funded research university, Glasgow will provide you with a lot of further opportunities, both within and outside it.
    The at the lower levels (other research assistants and PhD students) are really great. They go out of their way to help you develop.

Cons

If you work with a bad manager (supervisor) it can be difficult to get the core of your work done.
    The pay isn't optimal, especially when the requirements aren't clear.

There needs to be better organisation, transparency and collaboration. And I don't mean this in the cliche way! Politics, jealousy and secrecy get in the way of doing good research. The number of publications you have should be irrelevant.

Renowned British University with archaic and incompetent HR department

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I am an American biomedical engineering PhD who was conducting my postdoctoral fellowship at the University. The quality of some of the research being done at this University is remarkable. The campus is absolutely gorgeous with its beautiful Gothic architecture. State of the art facilities for several engineering and biotech research areas.

Cons

The HR department screwed up my Visa paperwork such that my work Visa expired 1.5 months before my job actually ended. This made my life with the Border Agency a huge nightmare. Once I arrived, I waited nearly a month to get my key card credentials which I needed to actually be able to start working properly. It seemed like there was a lot of backhanded rivalry amongst PIs in the departments. I was not able to conduct the studies that I had planned to do due to bickering and fighting amongst grad students and post docs regarding who had seniority to acquire certain cells.

It's difficult to make recommendations to management within university settings as it almost always seems like the people "calling the shots" are behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz. Certainly, though, the HR department could communicate much better than they do, hopefully preventing colossal screw-ups like my Visa situation in the future.

Intern: Educational and fun summer projects

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

Good work/life balance, very challenging work, great colleagues.

Cons

Very small salary for summer students.

Experience was ok

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

time-off policies, work-life balance, work culture, easy to commute, administrative staff very helpful

Cons

compensation could be better, no assistance for accommodation, personal growth, perks, benefits

Wonderful location

Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The area, flexi-leave (when it's not an issue!!), good work-life balance.

Cons

Some departments reluctant to implement flexi-leave while others openly flaunt it and book theirs well ahead! The poor wage rises!

Better wage increases!

MsC in Museum Studies? Walk away...

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros

Glasgow University as a whole is a good institution, that have plenty of really good seminars and workshops to attend. The presence of the Hunterian and a wide arrange of really good lecturers are a pros.

Cons

The MsC in Museum Studies, should in effect be cancelled. It is not academic at all, some of the teaching staff have no experience in Museums, they have a bit of a "I want to research, yet the job says I have teach"-attitude. Some of the things that are taught are directly wrong and some of the courses have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Cancel the course or get much better qualified staff. The course is a total waste of time.

Best Job ever

Former Employee - Research Nurse in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Nurse in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved feeling apart of everything as a whole and I worked with an amazing team.... I was also immensely proud to say I worked for Glasgow University. Efficient, compassionate, rewarding with brilliant training prospects. Working for Glasgow University helped me regain confidence in myself .

Cons

Short term research contracts.... but that's research for you....

More Research "Nurses" posts please ..... and a very big THANK YOU :-)

Excellent Administrator

Former Employee - Student in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Student in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at University of Glasgow as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good work /life balance .Good support for student and many opportunity for developing research .

Cons

Salaries and benifits .Shortage or funding and travel or for software to help students.

Ask for feeback from adminstration and students for development.Think international !

University of Glasgow Photos